Win 10 doesn't see SJ7

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by RBEmerson, Jun 16, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Under V1.15, my Win10 laptop doesn't see the camera when it's plugged into a USB port. That is, there's no sound notification and the File Explorer doesn't show the camera as an SD. At the same time, the camera screen shows "Mass Storage" and the camera draws power from the port.

Related, the SJ7 screen shows Mass Storage in red, and Ext. Power, and Charge in white. I assume the SJ7 is, in effect, an SD in "Mass Storage", accepts external power in Ext. Power, and just charges in Charge.

If I plug into my external battery, the battery icon shows it's charging, but there's no Ext. Power or Charge displayed.

What's going on here?

2. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Try switching cables. Some cables can't carry other information. Or sometimes the cable is just faulty, only way to find out is to try another data cable. Sometimes we miss those things. Haha
    Too bad these larger and older USB types are harder to find these days.

3. RBEmerson

Problem solved. It's not the cables.

Remember the three choice menu "Mass Storage", "Ext. Power", "Charging"? With Mass Storage in red? Click the OK/Go button and the camera becomes a mass storage device, with the contents fully visible. The screen shows USB connecting...

What, one wonders, happens when, pressing the Setup button, the Ext. Power choice is marked red, and the OK?Go button is pushed? The camera stays powered up, and isn't a mass storage device. The camera functions as usual.

With "Charge", the camera powers down. I'm not sure what's happening here.

4. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

I think that after you press the Setup button it's like telling the camera to ignore the choices and function like the cable isn't there. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like the logical explanation :)

5. RBEmerson

I'm now leaning towards thinking "Charge" saying "I'll close down the camera, but feed the battery". Makes sense, no?