why cant I use SJ8 PRO as Pc cam (Webcam)

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by eden, Dec 13, 2018.

1. eden

eden New Member

I used to be able to use my sj6 legend as a webcam with usb
    now i have sj8 pro and there is no option to do that ... is there a way?
    why not?
    are you planning to add this feature?
    why in sj6 yes and sj8 not?

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

This is going to unkind but... different cameras are intended to do different things. Asking any one camera to do things you did with one or more cameras in the past on top of all the other "I used to do Y with X camera, why can't camera Z do that, too" requests would lead to a camera that does nothing well. If an SJ6 worked for you as a web cam, why change it?

3. eden

eden New Member

SJ6 DIED JUST STOPPED WORKING WONT TURN ON SO I GOT NEWER SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER CAMERA
    I JUST ASKED IF THEY GONNA PUT THIS FETURE BACK SOON OR NOT
    AND IS THERE ANY SJCAM REAL PERSON HERE ON FORUM OR JUST UNRELATED PPL?

4. RBEmerson

I don't work for SJCam, but it doesn't take too much effort to see that you won't see a change just because you want it.

In general, given the problems reported here, and the lack of a firmware update to fix the biggest problem, I'm afraid SJCam is doing what it does best when confronted with a number of problems. It goes away. I'd like to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath while waiting for that to happen.

5. Sauron

Sauron New Member

Home Page:
    Sadly this is another feature that is missing. Not only sj6 but also sj4000 was able to work as webcam. I used it as a timelaps footage recorder - it was ok, but not perfect. Anyway I keep wandering what is sj8 pro good for... to be frank, I start to feel like for nothing...

And yes, SJ should be pushing new, and new firmwares with all the fixes - but they do nothing. Perhaps it was enough to pay some youtube guys for positive reviews to sell all they needed ;)

6. RBEmerson

The biggest lessons about SJCam came from, at best, erratic support, and the end of the SJ7. Development moved fair quickly from V1.13 (close to useless) to V1.21 (loaded with too many "features", and an incomplete implementation of RAW). V1.21 was supposed to be updated after Chinese New Year. After the month of celebration (a notion I'm skeptical about), nothing further was heard. Repeated attempts to find out whether was even activity on the matter came down to "coming real soon". Curiously, the SJ8 became a focal point, with tons of promises for Great Things, while the SJ7 remained at a near cripple-ware V1.21. And now we know the SJ8 is having problems, with little sign of addressing them any time soon.

I may still run down and SJ7 to run with V1.15 - spectacular it isn't but a week of filming a motorcycle trip, and getting very usable results, with few problems is a positive. If I can't find one for next to nothing, no great loss. I'll stay with my Sony FDR-X3000, with OIS and EIS, even though I'm not 100% happy with imagery. Curiously, I think the SJ7, in many cases, may be the better camera (better imagery).

7. RBEmerson

I have good reason think that more than one reviewer is a "shill" ("an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others"). One review in particular was hard to take as objective reporting. A side-by-side with an SJ8 and GP (6??) showed serious differences: washed out color vs. higher contrast and more color saturation; poor resolution of blades of grass and clean definition of grass; the list went on and on.

In short, if there is anyone getting good 10800p/60fps out of an SJ8, and with proof of not being from SJCam or a shill, I'd like to see it.

Here are your test standards (SJ7 V1.15 1080p/60fps transcoded to 4K to retain clarity on YT) to beat: