Who records in 4k?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Jason, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator

One of the selling points of cameras such as the SJ7 Star and the upcoming SJ8 as well as a number of cameras from other manufacturers is the fact that they shoot Native 4K. Along side these ate the SJ6 Legend, SJ500x Elite and a host of other cameras offering interpolated 4k video.

There’s various reasons for and against using 4k and I’m curious about how many people actually record in 4k and what do you use it for.

Cons

Reasons for not bothering with 4k can include

Lower Resolution is good enough. In the UK the majority of the 100 or so channels broadcast in Standard Definition (704x576 or 720x576) with 14 channels broadcasting in HD.

Lack of display Devices: 4K TVs are increasing in popularity but FHD is still the commonest (catch 22 – which comes first the media or the TV owner) As for mobile devices – hands up who has a phone with a NATIVE 4k display.

Resource Hungry. 4K requires more computing power to play, edit and render out. What was a pretty decent computer suddenly becomes a crawling snail as soon as it’s thrown a 4k video to edit. 4K also requires more space on the camera and does use up the battery quicker.

Pros:

Despite the cons there’s benefits to videoing in 4K

Future Proofing: Ever played your collection of VHS tapes back on your HD TV? Having you fondest memories in the highest resolution means they’ll still look great in years to come (until 8k becomes common place)

Chroma Subsapling for Intermediate Re-encoding: Taking 4k video with 8 bit 4:2:0 chroma subsampling and downscalling to 1080 can, depending on your software, give you a 10 bit 4:4:4 chroma subsampled video. So what? Well this new 1080p video would have a lot more information that could be used for colour correction and grading in post processing giving a higher dynamic range, less banding, reduced noise. Of course this downscalled video isn’t as good as actually recording a 1080 10bit 4:4:4 video in the first place but the camera is a lot cheaper to buy. This is useful if you re-encode into an intermediary codec to process in other applications (compositing, colour correction, etc).

Reframing: So you want to get rid of that person on the edge of the frame or bring your subject in line with the rule of thirds. If you’ve taken 1080 videos then this will result in a resolution drop as you crop the image down to what you want. With 4k there’s plenty of resolution to crop in and still render detail at 1060 resolution

Digital Zooming: If you’re outputting at 1080 or 720 then you can keyframe the crop to either start full frame then crop out more of the image to simulate a zoom in (or the other way out for a zoom out)

Digital Pan/Slide : start the clip off zoomed in to one side of the frame then keyframe it to move across the scene can give movement to a more or less static scene or be used to reveal the subject of the clip.

Distortion correction ; The higher resolution gives you more scope when it comes to correcting distortions. This is both the fish eye distortion and the distortion added for superview mode.

What Do You Do

I use 4k for the digital video editing uses (the last 4). Chip in and share why & how you do or why you don’t use 4K.

Troy and Damian Holt like this.
  2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I shoot time lapse in 4K and play with it on the road, but just as a FW test. As I've said elsewhere 4K is nice for stills, slow moving drones, and timelapse video or stills. A gimbal improves things a bit, but 4K@30 is a near dead loss out of a car window, on a bicycle, etc. Jerky, smeared, everything a shouldn't have. And, as listed, power and SD space vanish in a hurry.

Currently my default video res. is 1080@60 fps. Compared to 4K, there's a definite lack of resolution (surprise!). But power and SD resources are much easier to manage.

When 256 Gb SD's become available at a tolerable price, and 100K mAh packs are manageable (supposedly there are more efficient, safer batteries around the corner - free beer's just around the corner, too). There's some hope. But working with 4K will always demand a lot of processing power to edit well. So maybe we need quantum computers, too. Bottom line: nice idea, but a PITA to live with.

3. Ronny Sharma

Ronny Sharma New Member

Though most of my viewers prefer watching 1080p I still give them option for 4K.

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Are you referring to YouTube videos?