White Balance Issues

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Ted, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Ted

Ted New Member

I have 2 SJ7 Stars that I bought within a week of each other in February 2018. Both do not have a lot of use on them.
    After visiting a Disney park for two days , I noticed that one camera played back video with a slight green/blue tint and the video overall color temp was very cool as compared to my 2nd camera. I looked and the AWB was set to "Outdoor" (which I was shooting outside) and the other camera was set to "Auto". So , I changed it to match, both in "Auto". Again, I have some video clips that have a cool temp and slight blue/green hue but others seem to look good.
    Both cameras are running the latest firmware.
    Any thoughts ?
    Should I try another setting for outside ?
    I ask this too, because I had issues with my older SJ5000, you could see it change color temp to a red tint when playing back video.It got impossible to fix it in post, so I tossed it and thought I would try the SJ7 Star.
    I do like the quality I am getting, colors are much better than the SJ5000, but I hope this white balance is not gonna give me trouble.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Auto WB is not a good choice, if precise WB is expected or when multiple cameras must produce matched results. Select the fixed WB mode (color temperature), that matches best current ambient lighting conditions. Auto mode can only guess, what is the current color temperature, because depending on scene, colors vary greatly.
    You must be watchful with fixed WB too, because ambient lighting may vary quickly, especially in the morning or in the evening, but also when it's partly cloudy.

3. Ted

Ted New Member

Thanks so much for you comments. I think I will try switching the auto WB to daylight and see what happens.

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Daylight is good choice for a sunny day. Actually those fixed WB-s should cover wide range of color temperatures by steps. AFAIK, these steps are (in Kelvins):

Incandescent, 2700K
    D4000, 4000K?
    D5000, 5000K?
    Daylight, 5500K
    Cloudy, somewhere between 6000...8000K
    D9000, 9000K?
    D10000, 10000K?
    Flash, 6000K
    Water, don't know Kelvins used, but should be somewhere high Kelvins area (cool color temperature), to compensate loss of reds underwater.
    Outdoor, don't know Kelvins used, but should be somewhere between mid to high Kelvins (coolish color temperature, maybe still warmer than water?)

Choose proper WB according to the actual lighting conditions.

5. Ted

Ted New Member

UPDATE :
    I set both of my SJ7 Star to Outdoor on the white balance.
    I got pretty consistent footage from both. I was at Disney, it was full sun and partly cloudy.
    They both still seem to be shooting on the cool / green color temp side, but using Pinnacle Studio, I was
    able to get better correction on the white balance and the color temps, but I had to manually adjust, I could not let it auto adjust.

I do have a UV filter on each camera could that be causing the shift to cool / green ??
    I think next time I will take the filter off.
    Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
    Ted

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

You may just set your cameras to cooler WB to produce warmer tones.
    Use the list from my previous post. If the Daylight setting results too cold WB, then set it to the Cloudy, etc. The larger Kelvin value you will set, the warmer image you should get.

Filters can affect WB. Better test with and without the filter, to see, what effect it has on WB.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  7. Ted

Ted New Member

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If the Daylight (5500K) is a bit too cold, then the Flash (6000K) might be just about right.