What are the best settings for fireworks?

Discussion in 'Tips, Guides and Tutorials' started by Ken J, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Ken J

Ken J New Member

I want to run the SJ6 Legend underneath a massive fireworks show. So the best night time settings that can still capture the bright explosions with clarity are desired. I'll probably go with 4k 24fps.

Any tips from more knowledgeable users?

Steve Poole likes this.
  2. Ken J

Ken J New Member

Any thoughts on EV, light mode, metering, white balace?
    I keep trying to think about how the puffs of smoke will refract light also... so many questions

3. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

That's kind of a tough one.
    For camera settings, low ISO and set the EV to +1/3 but it still entirely depends how close you are to the sparkly light show. Fireworks can be really close to the camera, or too far when they explode really high up.
    I think you should turn off Auto Low Light, the suddent drastic changes in brightness levels might make the camera adjust that it would look like they flicker during playback. The low ISO is so that the lights don't get washed out with the rest of the image.
    Best if you can experiment ahead of time.
    O, and, don't forget to use a sturdy tripod.

Damian Holt, Steve Poole and Ken J like this.
  4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Member

Id love to see some video of fireworks on an SJ6 or (preferably) SJ7 Star if anyone has any? We're heading to Disney in the next 8 weeks so would love to know how to get some cracking night shots!!

5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I recommend following camera settings for fireworks (for SJ7):
    Video Resolution: Use the maximum resolution, that fits your workflow (4k 30p mode is the best, if your computer and TV can handle 4K videos).
    Video Quality: Super Fine
    FOV: Off
    Slow Motion: Off (unless you need this effect)
    Auto Low Light: Off
    Gyro Sensor: Off, when the camera is on the tripod, On, if it is handheld and available for the resolution in use.
    Detection: Off (unless there are some special cases)
    Dual Files: Off
    Video Stamp: Off (unless you specially want to spoil the video with a date/time stamp)
    TimeLapse Video: Off (unless TimeLapse Video is what you really want)
    Loop Record: Off
    Car DV: Off
    Microphone Volume: It depends on distance, might be reduced compared to the regular settings.
    Sharpness: Normal
    AWB: Select fixed WB (of the list: Incandescent, D4000, D5000, Daylight, Cloudy, D9000, D10000, Flash, Fluorescent, Water or Outdoor; avoid Auto!), try to match with ambient lights (if the scene is illuminated by incandescent lights, then choose Incandescent, etc.) or your personal taste. You can test different WB-s before the fireworks starts, and choose the one you like the most. WB should fit with lighting conditions, there is no gereral rule, what you should use.
    EV: -1/3 (or 0, Definitely don't apply positive EV correction, unless you like pale firework on grey sky).
    ISO: 100 or 200 (or max 400, if there is very dark, and you'd like to get better details for surrounding objects)
    Metering: Multi
    TV Mode: NTSC (unless you want to produce the video for watching from the PAL TV).
    Light Frequency: 60Hz (unless you are in the 50Hz grid zone AND there are near and strong flickering lights at the Fireworks site)
    Distortion Correction: Off (unless you are close to some buildings that need to look stright)
    Image Rotation: depending on the camera position.
    Logo Watermark: Off (unless you specially want to promote your camera brand)

Some sample Fireworks with different camera models:
    SJ7

SJ6

SJ5000X

Use tripod or some other sturdy base, select good vantage point (not too close, not too far). It would be good, if the view was nice even without the fireworks.
    Different videos (from distance and near, recorded handheld and on tripod), unknown camera make and model, just for reference and for better preparation and positioning yourself:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boNE6bSF4eU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7CgGXJD-Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-RWwXEDJ5M

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Ken J and Mark Davis like this.
  6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Member

Hi Sulev,
    Thank you for the very quick and detailed response. I've only just received this camera so haven't had too much time to play about with the different settings yet. The SJ7 initially appears to be a fantastic camera in good lighting but I have my reservations about night shot/fireworks. Action cameras are understandably not the optimal tech to be taking these kind of shots.

But... as I don't want to carry round a clunky bridge camera, I'll definitely try some shots with your suggested settings and see what results I can get.

Thanks again for the help :)