Welcome, Amazon Reviewers!

Discussion in 'Amazon Reviewers' started by Troy, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Please feel free to post your thoughts in here, just be mindful of the community rules.
    Don't forget to have fun!

Andre likes this.
  2. C.Tok

C.Tok New Member

I just spent my Christmas money on the SJCAM Star7. I think I got a pretty good deal!
    Pros: Easy to use, great video, decent sound quality.
    Cons: can’t get SJCAM Zone remote software to work on my iPhone.

Out of the box, the camera functioned very well- took great video of my MTB ride, and found it super easy to load to my MacBook to edit in iMovie. It came with a nice assortment of accessories to find a couple of good mounts for mountain biking.

The only problem— cannot get the SJCAM Zone to work. I updated the firm ware on the camera to v. 1.20 But still no luck.

Due to this, I would give it an 8 out of 10.
    Purchase date: December 29, received December 31.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

Hello, Thanks for your feedback!

Where you able to also update your iOS version number to version 5.3.2?

Which specific issues were you having with the app?

4. Ron Bridgefarmer

Ron Bridgefarmer New Member

Bought a SJCAM SJ6 Legend. I bought it primarily because it has a microphone connection and the cost. So far I’m pleased with the recording. I just haven’t got good results with the microphone even after adding a windsock. I would buy it again.

5. C.Tok

C.Tok New Member

Yes, the SJCAM ZONE software is version 5.3.2.

Even though connected in Wifi, it still gives me message: Tips Please make sure the device is connected properly Confirm

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Member

I bought an Sjcam 7 Star via Amazon. The first camera I received (as a Birthday gift from my partner) had to be returned because the microphone didn't work. The second one, which I've received today seems to work but there appears to be a clicking background noise (even in a quiet room). I've resigned myself to the fact that this might be the best I can get with the camera.

Otherwise, the camera itself and the app are fantastic and everything I need. The camera connects perfectly well to my Samsung Tab S2 8.0. The accessories that you can get are fantastic and affordable too.

If you want a fantastic quality camera this that's affordable then this is the one to go for, just don't pin any hopes on sound quality.

7. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Member

Just want to edit my last post. After playing around with the camera and mic for a bit, I can only assume there was some dust or something in the mid that it was picking up. I've played with it for about an hour and the mic is now working fine. I thought it was the gyro but that appears not to be the case either.

Anyway, overall a very very good camera and a very good purchase. Can't wait to start getting some proper shots.

8. corallino

corallino New Member

Capitano di macchina
    Hello, try to disable the data connection of your smartphone.

9. D. Svenson

D. Svenson New Member

Information Technology
    Received the camera recently but have had a few hours to play around with it. Some notables:

1. I upgraded the firmware pretty much right out of the box to 1.21. You will need to format the micro SD card FAT32. I had a 64 GB card for the camera but used another 8GB micro SD for the firmware upgrade. The upgrade went fine, no issues. After I reset the camera to default settings so that it would apply the new firmware settings (in case it has not already done so).

2. When I put the new 64 GB San Disk Extreme card in I noticed I was not seeing any options to record in 60, 120 or 240 fps. Camera was seeing the card but the lack of the video format settings had me slightly concerned. I reset the camera to default settings again with the Extreme card installed and that cleared up the issue, when I went to the settings the rest of the formats were visible. Interesting that the camera would only display the formats the card would support. It would be nice to still see the options but have them grayed out.

3. I also purchased the stick with a remote, the camera paired with the remote without a problem, very quick and easy.

4. Tested the wireless and connection with the app on an Android phone, everything worked fine. I was able to download videos to the phone, takes some time so really would be better for short video or just photos you want to quickly grab. For everything else I just plugged the camera into a Windows computer and "dragged and dropped" the files to my hard drive for review or editing.

5. So far the video quality has been great, very clear, good lighting inside and out but a lot of that depends on the settings on the actual camera. Default settings tend to set things to Auto which is where I leave them 95% of the time unless I am going to be filming in one particular setting for a long time. The Gyro settings seemed to work great, I held the camera on the selfie stick while driving home through pot holes and other road crap and the video was very smooth, didn't even notice some of the larger bumps I hit. I walked around outside with it and the gyro worked great with just walking. If the goal is to run around with an action camera I will just invest in the gimble for it to maintain smooth video's. I don't expect the camera to be able to smooth out major jolts and movement.

6. So far sound has been fine, I read some reviews about there being a buzzing noise or other issues. From looking on forums I had the wireless disabled and the sound at 50% and didn't have any buzzing in my video's. At this point I will probably not even use wireless on the camera unless I need to get a photo or short video off the camera and posted.

7. The accessories seem to be pretty standard, nice that we get so many with a new camera. They all seem to work great except the extra waterproof door that is suppose to allow you to control the touchscreen. The camera it a little to far from door to use the touchscreen, if you really push you can make contact and it will work but not really feasible. I will probably save the waterproof case for only diving since I want to capture audio for most other recordings.

8. So far I have used the camera to record video for about an hour total so far testing different modes and the battery is still almost fully charged. I have not been recording at 4K mainly because our best TV in the house is only 1080 and I also need a new computer with higher end graphics card to be able to process 4K video. Those are massive file sizes and without a higher end video card will be jumpy on an older computer when playing them back.

Things I will most likely purchase before taking it on vacation? The extra battery / charger pack so I can charge batteries outside the camera in a real charger. If there is an opportunity to charge a devices battery outside the device I usually take it. The extra heat that is generated is really not something that is good for electronics or the battery. Chargers are made specifically to charge batteries and probably do a better job in most cases then plugging the device directly into a power source. I follow that rule with high end flashlights and have not been disappointed with battery life and safety.

Overall the camera is awesome and a great deal for everything you get (when they are running some discounts too). I went back and forth between the Yi 4K and this SJ7. I finally settled on the SJ7 because of overall cost, accessories, good website and support structure, responsive firmware updates and the Yi 4K seems to have some negative reviews about cameras just dying for no reason. From past purchases I have found Amazon reviews to be pretty accurate about the product in general.

corallino likes this.