Video sample request

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by RaffaelePezzella, Aug 31, 2018.

1. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Hi everyone,

Could someone send me a video (4k) with sharpness setting on the softest position?

I'd like to buy the SJ8 pro, and I want to verify if there are artifacts in the videos and if the setting "soft" is real (i.e. absence of sharpening filter) or actually an horrible "blurrring filter" as happened on the ill-fated SJ7... (I hope not...).

If yes I will provide my email address in order to receive the video.

Thanks in advice

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  2. SiB77

SiB77 Member

shrapenin low is horrible blur:

Attached Files:

3. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I understand, so it's like the SJ7 Star: a ridiculous and useless blur filter. It's a shame for the price and for the "PRO" the name suggests, and I wonder why, why they haven't correct this horrible thing with the new model (The hardware is great, unfortunately it is supported by a software not at the same level).

I had a lot of hope on this new model. SJ CAM is a brand that I love, but I was disappointed once again, then I have definitely decided not to buy it anymore.

I'm a professional photographer and I've planned to buy the sj8 pro to use it in my works, but I need a neutral video profile (and the possibility to exclude the software sharpness filter). This is very annoying.
    My brother has a YI 4k plus and from this point of view it works much better and much "pro". Videos are smooth without "sharpen mask artifacts", and no relevant bugs with a similar price.

After reading other topics on this and other forums about the performance and problems of this camera, at this point I realize that even the SJ8 is not for me, it's just another "toy camera", not too different from Eken, Hawkeye or similar cheap china cameras. I sold the SJ7 for the same reasons (blur filter at low sharpness opposite to visible sharpen artifacts with "normal" setting, many software bugs and the manufacturer's failure to solve problems and listen to customers).

Thank you so much for the photo.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  4. SiB77

SiB77 Member

Fixing this would be super easy on firmware. It needs just one value changed.

We did same tweaks outside firmware with Thieye T5(e) models as they support .ash script files. SJ8 pro just loops sound if .ash file is present at memorycard, too bad.

RaffaelePezzella likes this.
  5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Maybe some users complained, that the Soft sharpness is not soft enough, if this kind of awful blur is not applied? I think that soft option should result with a video stream, that is free from sharpening but also no blur applied. Just as it is captured by the sensor. Normal option should apply some sharpening, but not too agressive (less than current Normal settings do). Only the Strong sharpening may reveal some sharpening artefacts.

RaffaelePezzella likes this.
  6. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Sulev Svilponis I agree 1000x1000 with you. It would be the normal behaviour in all cameras.

SHARPNESS SOFT = FREE FROM SHARPENING FILTER.

That is it. Blur filter is horrible and does not match the "pro" the name suggests.

At this point if the manufacturer is unable to give the desired results, it's better for the SJ guys to eliminate the voice "soft" (like Hawkeye done with the Firefly 8s), because I think it's a shame for the price tag (this model is not intended for entry level market...).

So thanks everyone for helping me. I am forced to switch to another manufacturer for my needs.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018