Video quality too high for my laptop?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by FishinJoe, Feb 9, 2018.

1. FishinJoe

FishinJoe New Member

Hey again all... noob here with another dumb question

This is my first action camera so I'm playing with free video editors. Too cheap to buy one when I don't know what I'm doing yet.
    I think my little Dell laptop may not have enough GPU juice to properly run a 4K video.

(By the way, I stuck a brand new Sandisk Ultra 128Gb C10 Micro XC card in the camera and it must have automatically formatted to exFAT. At least that's what Windows says it is. I left it alone. It's actually only 119Gb formatted)

So I took a short 26 second video straight out of the box. I copied it onto my laptop and it looks like it was recorded in 4K 30fps. I'm still trying to get used to the cameras controls and settings. I opened the video with Windows Movie Maker and it won't even show up... it just plays but as a black screen. VLC Player won't even touch it.
    So I opened it in VSDC Free Video Editor and at least now I can see the video and hear the audio. Unfortunately it's super choppy and just chops along every 1 second until it's done. So I converted it to 1080p and it plays just fine.

Does this sound like a lame GPU issue (and time to buy a better laptop), or is there something I'm missing? I can download any MP4 video off the interwebs and they'll play fine, but they're all 720 or 1080p. I suppose I can look around for a 4K video and download it to test my laptops capabilities.
    I might throw the video on my sons major gaming machine and see if it plays fine in 4K.
    I'd hate to record all my videos in 1080p if I have 4K available.

Thanks

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I don't have a way to watch a 4K video anyways. None of my TV's are 4K, and 90% of people can't watch 4K either... all I'm doing are regular boring videos for YouTube\Instagram so 1080p is fine. I'll live with it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

"No dumb questions, only dumb answers."

Video processing takes CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD horsepower. On the order of at least a good gaming machine if not an outstanding gaming machine. 1080 isn't as demanding as 4K, but toss in some transitions (cross fades, wipes, etc.) and/or some crawls (scrolling text) and you've created more demands. Sorry - but that's how it is.

For freebie editors, look into Shotcut. it's well supported, versatile, and free (no cripple-ware or beg-ware). It does have some problems, most notably titling is a challenge. If you want to "Dance With The Stars", there's Blackmagic Design's Resolve. This is an editor that the pros use. It wants serious horsepower. But, in return, it does miracles. KDEnlive is something of a mixed bag, but the price is right.

FWIW, 1080 isn't exactly using colored chalk on a blackboard. If you want to shoot a lot of motion, 4K isn't what you want. At least not on the SJ7, with its current firmware (V1.21). You can only get 30 fps, and there's no image stabilization.

Try this video to give you an idea about what 1080 can look like, It plays back on YT as 4K, but that's only to get around YT compressing video. Watch the same video at 1080 instead of 4K to see the difference. Note: transcoding to 4K does not add resolution, it only helps with YT.

3. FishinJoe

FishinJoe New Member

Thanks man.
    I lost patience waiting for it to stop buffering so I could watch it at 4K... and 1440p60 was only slightly better.. My biggest stumbling block in being able to really enjoy the higher resolutions is this laptop. It was meant as my sons schoolwork machine... not multimedia. I really should invest in another good machine for myself.
    SE PA? You're brave enough to ride a bike around Philly? Brave man! :)

4. RBEmerson

If ever there was an excuse to buy a monster machine, this is it. LOL

Ride in Philly? The last time I did that was on a restored Norton Commando (black paint, gold striping - heaven!). Lots of cobblestones and trolley tracks. It was a very religious experience - please, God, don't let me wreck this bike. Otherwise, riding in the city is Not Gonna Happen. Away from the city? See Creek Road (Sena Prism 1080@30 - not very good) or Where The Roads Aren't Straight.

FishinJoe likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Moderator

4k does need a beefy machine to play smoothly.
    I have a laptop with i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ with 32GB memory and a NVIDIA 1050TI, a 500GB SSD drive and a 2TB Hybrid drive which copes.

FishinJoe likes this.
  6. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    4k tv boxes are an option if I understand them correctly. They are sort of a standalone gpu that will let you play your videos back without the beef laptop

7. RBEmerson

Um... but where's the 4K video feed coming from? Unless the box can deal with SD's or sticks, to get the video directly, the problem remains. The driving PC will still .stutter.

FishinJoe likes this.
  8. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer

You should check them out...

They have USB ports, card readers, lan connections, wifi and hdmi ports (think of a mini computer with a powerful GPU but all it does is play media)....It serves as hardware and all you provide it is a SCREEN. The box will render all the images DIRECTLY from a USB, micro sd card or its own internal hard drive that you can fill up with whatever you want.

You don't need to hook your computer to it at all...just your monitor/tv.

I almost bought one until I realized all my smart TVs serve this function already. I plug my micro sd card directly into my TV (via a usb adapter) and the TV hardware will render the images. Of course you can't edit videos like this but if playback is your goal; smart tvs or tv boxes can do this for you relatively cheap (the box I was messing around with is highly rated and would only set me back 50 bucks)

We live in an amazing time gentlemen...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  9. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    If you just want to play your footage back you can plug the camera directly into the tv via a mini hdmi lead, no need to purchase a box.

10. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    Not quite.....

None of my SJCAMS work with ANY of my televisions. These are smart TV's by Samsung and LG...no dice. I opened a ticket but SJCAM support is pretty much just a pretty website....they were unable to help so I just worked around it.

After trying 4 different TV's, 3 different cables, 2 adapters and this problem existing on TWO DIFFERENT SJCAMs (SJ7 and SJ6).....it was obvious that the problem was the camera. BTW...EVERY OTHER (Go Pros, Nikons, Sony's, Elecam etc) camera connects to ALL THOSE TVs without batting an eye.

Also a quick search of the support tickets and this forum will show that this problem is not isolated to me....

11. Jason

Jason Moderator

The hdmi output is 1080 not 4k

12. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Really? Well that’s a bugger.

13. Abhijit Gadhave

Abhijit Gadhave New Member

Hi, I just bought a anew SJ7 Star. Wanted to know how to change the video format from MP4 to MOV? which is better for recording and playing back? the MP4 sometimes have issues playing in windows media player as it gives a little lag in between.

also how to add music to the videos?

14. RBEmerson

Sorry, but only MP4 is supported.

I understand you want to have a loss-less file format. However, keep in mind those files are larger than the same video in MP4 format. The exFAT/FAT32 file system allows files to be no larger than 4 Gb.That means any video clip in MOV will have less content. Getting the same content as fits on many MP4 files may well exceed your SD's capacity.

Why not use NTFS on SD's? Remember that the SJ7 files need to be accessible to the Mac and Linux communities. FAT32/exFAT is a more readily interchangeable file system.

While MP4 isn't perfect, it gives the best compromise for content, economy of storage, and interchangeability.

Abhijit Gadhave likes this.
  15. RBEmerson

I missed your question about music. If you're asking about adding a music track or music on the audio track while shooting, I strongly recommend against doing it. If you need to edit your footage, the music content will make the edit all too obvious. Add the music during the edit process. There are a number of good editors that are free and not "cripple-ware" or "beg-ware". I use Blackmagic Design's Resolve 14 (15 has just been announced - I don't know if there's a free version). I also use Shotcut (no "r" in the name). There are other editors including KDEnlive, with a Win10 version - not very stable, the Linux version is.

Back to your question, At the moment, SJCam only offers their external mic in either simple clip-on or clip-on with a shaft. The mic can be cut away from the mic cable and a suitable jack for another mic installed. Presumably a music source (MP3, phone, etc.) could be connected. Again, adding a music track will make editing a challenge.