Video Lapse - need tutorial help

Discussion in 'Tips, Guides and Tutorials' started by RBee, Feb 27, 2019.

1. RBee

RBee New Member

Very new to using an action cam - bought a SJ6 Legend
    Does anyone have a link for a tutorial on using video lapse? Including downloading and reviewing?
    When should I use video lapse vs time lapse?
    Thank you for your guidance!

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

This process is pretty straightforward. Just choose your time-lapse interval depending on how quick your subjects move. The faster they move, the shorter interval you should use.
    Basically, it is easier to use the video lapse mode. But the time lapse mode (still images) could provide you with more editing options (including cropping for panning or image stabilisation, more precise scene cutting, more speed-up options etc etc), higher image resolution, wider FOV, RAW quality and postprocessing options, higer bitrate in final product etc. Because this may expect several (hundreds) times more work, I don't recommend this option for beginning. Just use video lapse if this mode provides you with suitable interval.

Note, that intervals may be not precise. Some options may even have wrong labels (like "1 Minute" interval could actually be 3 minutes). Just test it, before you start shooting something important.

Providing power for longer time lapses could be problematic, as the camera may stop recording if you switch external power source or when the external source gets exhausted (even if the internal battery is still full of juice). If you use power adapter from the wall, this problem is not so relevant, but in case of external battery this may be real pain.

3. puslad

puslad New Member

I usually shoot storm clouds at a speed of 2 seconds per image. Theoretically 10 minutes of recording is 10 seconds of video at 30fps.

Ken J likes this.
  4. RBee

RBee New Member

ok that feedback helps -
    So - do I need editing software to transfer the video into? I tried playing it back on the camera and its just moment blip, so I think I'm doing something wrong.

And you are correct - I'm practicing now before I mess up something I really want to get.

5. RBee

RBee New Member

Also - what would be the best video editing app to start?

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Basically, you don't need any editing for videolapse recordings. But of course, you can edit those videos, if you like. Any decent editor should do - for editor it is just an ordinary video (except, there will be no sound in video lapse videos). Even Windows Movie Maker should do the job.

For Time-Lapse (photo lapse) mode you need postprocessing, to get a video from bunch of still images. Again, even Windows Movie Maker should do the job, but there are far better solutions available.

About your problem (video too short). Please, do some math! Length of a video, recorded in the Video lapse mode = Recorded time / Video lapse interval / FPS of the resulting video. Sample: If you record 10000 seconds (2.8 hours) of video lapse with 2 sec interval and the resulting video has 30 FPS, then you should have 167 seconds of video.

If you use VLC Player or some other players with advanced abilities, then you can alter the playback speed. But remember - video lapse means, that there are intervals between every single frame, so slowing down the videolapse video results jerky playback. If you need slower videolapse, than SJCAM cameras offer (shorterst interval is 0,5 sec), then take a normal video and speed it up in postprocessing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Ken J likes this.