video editing

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by onjon, Jan 25, 2018.

1. onjon

onjon New Member

Hi all

I got my 4k footage in Premiere Elements and just placed it on the timeline to make a contentious video of about 37 minutes.

Problem is that it jumps every so often but not with an overlap, it missus out a few seconds or so and ruins the end result (dialogue heavy theatre play) so whole words from the actors lines go missing.

any ideas?

I am aware that it films everything in circa 5 minute chunks.

thanks in advance

onjon

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

There is no visual gap between files, whether with loop on (by mistake, in my case) or off (how I usually shoot). There is a 2-3 frame audio dropout. It produces a very quick "click" as it goes by. So... Yes, files go together seamlessly.

My guess is the 4K video bandwidth is well above 100Mb/s and that's where the problems show up.

Assuming you have Win7 or Win10... download MediaInfo and install it. Get it from MediaInfo's creator, do not use a third-party download site!

Use MediaInfo to show data for one of your clips. Report it here with a screenshot of MediaInfo's output (easier than writing and hoping it's right).

As a second check, install MPC-HC, a very good video player. Use it to play back your video clip. I think you'll see the skipping problem again.

Here's a sample of MediaInfo. The "First video stream" information says it all - 300 Mb/s is three times what plays back well on most middle-of-the-road PC's. The rest says 4k, 59.94 fps (call it 60 fps)
    [​IMG]

3. onjon

onjon New Member

Hi is this image ok? thanks

Attached Files:

4. RBEmerson

60 Mb/s is well within the range where the 4K@25 fps video should play back. Have you tried playing back with MPC-HC? VLC, a good overall media player, shouldn't have a problem with it, either. VLC does, on occasion, have unexpected problems with video, which is why I suggest MPC-HC. As a third test, try playing the video back on another machine.

5. onjon

onjon New Member

sorry I'm afraid I've not been clear enough I'll try again.

It is not the playback that is the problem it is the dropout of time between each clip.

So to recap I press record on the camera and film for 30 minutes, when I look on the SD card the video is made up of lots of separate clips. when I put Clip one next to clip two and play them back together there is a small amount of video missing. If you like there is a jump or what I would describe as a Dropout but it's not a playback related Dropout it is missing video.

I recheck the SD card is the correct speed {I'm certain it is} and do some more test recordings.

Thanks

6. RBEmerson

Even in dashcam mode with looping on, the files should be continuous. With looping off, each file should just under 4Gb, and they should play back seamlessly.

You shot 30 minutes of 4K video at 25 fps. How many files do you have and how large are they? Each file should be about 4 Gb. What are the specs for SD you used - brand, size, etc.?