very happy with SJ5000X Elite...

Discussion in 'SJ5000 Series' started by Lazaros Filippidis, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Lazaros Filippidis

Lazaros Filippidis Member

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the SJ5000X Elite. I think it is the best action camera of the four that I have had a chance to own (SJ4000, M10wifi, SJ7, SJ5000X Elite). The quality of the image is significantly better compared to the other three cameras (see image below). Furthermore, you can use all of the camera's features even if the camera is in the water proof case. I bought this as a replacement to two SJ7 cameras that I bought and returned due to faults and rubbish image quality. On top the SJ7 behaves like two different cameras as it affords two different user interfaces to the user. When the SJ7 is inside the waterproof case you cannot access all of the cameras' functionality. So, at last after a torturous 5 months (!!!) of test and returning the SJ7s I finally have a camera that works exactly as advertised and is true to its price.

[​IMG]

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I am glad, that you are satisfied with the SJ5000x. But as a matter of fact, this camera model had it's painful post development improvement phase also (initially it had poor sound quality (it was barely audible), there was no solutions for processing raw format photos, the camera included one corner of its own lens and its housing into the field of view (and photos), some complained about high picture noise (white dots), many users complained about wrong white balance, etc.). Several improvements have been done, but also new nuisances are introduced. As new models are launching, it seems, that owners of SJ5000x should accept, that there will be no further improvements ahead and they are forced to live with those introduced nuisances.

Lazaros Filippidis likes this.
  3. Lazaros Filippidis

Thanks you for the message. To be honest I was wondering if early buyers had problems since the forum displays a long list of reported problems. I guess being a very late adopter I was lucky and perhaps this is the way forward: Don't invest early on new products and read the forums.

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

Sulev's right - at first the Elite was a right pain to use.The RAW images were small green blotches, firmware was dicy and it took a while to get the first upgrade. After a while the updates were coming in frequently, the camera improved, bug were fixed, new features introduced, bugs in the new features fixed and then eventually, just as it was settling down to be a great camera...

Mine bust. I had the option of buying another Elite, with its improved firmware, or go for the SJ7, expecting it to be another journey to improvement. In the end I went with the SJ7

5. Lazaros Filippidis

how is your experience with the SJ7? Mine was terrible and returned two and settled with the Elite.

6. Jason

Jason Moderator

Ups and downs. I did brick one of the cameras but sorted it out with supports help and an elf. Generally I'm happy with the camera - I per-ordered it last year so have been through the changes and development with it. It's improved a lot and is really good although there's things I would like to see still.

7. Philing31

Philing31 New Member

Hello,
    I hesitate between the SJCAM SJ5000 & the latest SJ7.
    Do you have an advise?
    For exemple for me the différence between the 2 cams are: SJ7 has the 4K @30fps vs 4K@24fps for the SJ5000.
    But is it very importante because the 4K is not really use, isn't it?

The capteur is also differente: SJ7 12MP AMBARELLA vs SJCAM 5000 12.4MP SONY

Thanks for your help :)

8. Lazaros Filippidis

Look, I purchased two SJ7 cameras. I returned both because the image quality for both photographs and videos was simply rubbish (they performed worse than my SJ4000!!!). They had other issues too, the first one had hardware faults too. Also, to me the SJ7 has a huge design fault: once in the waterproof case you cannot access all the cameras functions(!!).

So, after abandoning the idea of owning an SJ7 I opted for the SJ5000X Elite which works perfectly. Also, I do not need 4K video. It seems that others were more lucky than me with the SJ7 but based on my personal experience with two of them I cannot recommend them.

9. Philing31

Philing31 New Member

Thank for your feedback, it help me to do the good choice.
    On the SJ5000X, is it possible to pair with the telecommand SJCAM and use it with the wifi?
    Do you use SJCAM Zone?
    On my side with SJ7, I had some difficulties to display the videos & Photos !!

Are you also happy with the SJ5000X under water? is it easy to take video, photo and change the options?

Could you also confirm that the cam accepts micro USB Card is up to 128GB?

10. Lazaros Filippidis

I'm not sure what you mean by "telecommand". But if you mean the SJCAM app on android to control the camera then yes you can.
    I'm happy with the camera when underwater too. The advantage over the SJ7 is that you can access through the waterproof case ALL the cameras functions. So, yes, you can easily take videos, photos, preview both, change settings while within the waterproof case.

I truly believe overall it is a superior camera. However, as I have said others might have different opinion and different needs. My needs were: good image qulity, good video quality and being able to access ALL features of the camera while the camera is in the waterproof case.

11. Jason

Jason Moderator

The 4k on the SJ7 is true native UHD 4k whilst the 4k on the 5000x Elite is interpolated and is recorded at a lower resolution and stretched to the 4k size. If you are mainly after 4k then the SJ7 would be the way to go but if you want 1080 then the Elite would be a good bet.

12. Lazaros Filippidis

@Jason, this is the case - but my experience with two different SJ7s was that the video quality was much worse (even in 4K) compared to my SJ4000 as it was blurry. I have actually posted video samples on this forum some time ago. However, as I have said others had better luck than me with the SJ7 but I could not afford the time and energy to purchase a third SJ7 in order to have 4K. So, I opted to get the SJ5000X and couldn't have been happier.

13. Jason

Jason Moderator

So based on YOUR experience with 2 cameras YOU wouldn't recommend the SJ7 however based on MY experience of 2 cameras which I still have and use I WOULD recommend it. I also previously owned a SJ5000X however I wouldn't change back to that.

14. Philing31

Philing31 New Member

Ok thank you for your feedback.
    and for the Micro USB capacity? On your SJCam 5000X Elite what is the maximum? 32, 64 or 128GB?
    I will test with my telecommand wifi and come back to give the result :)

15. Lazaros Filippidis

yes Jason based on MY experience. As I have mentioned MANY times others were more lucky than me. I spend 4-5 months trying to sort out hardware and software issues I was experiencing with my cameras. So based on my experience I cannot recommend these cameras.

Furthermore from a design point of view and based on MY needs they are crap - the fact that you cannot access ALL the available functionality of the SJ7 when in the waterproof case deems them almost unusable for MY needs. Again, as I have mentioned several times others might have different needs and opinions.

16. Lazaros Filippidis

I cannot help you with this - I have a fast Kingston 32GB SD card in mine. I do not know if it takes 64 or 128 cards.

17. Lazaros Filippidis

@Jason, to prove my point, you tell me if I should recommend it. If your experience was different by all means please recommend it. However, I cannot. So, here is a comparisson between my SJ4000, M10wifi, SJ7 (returned) and SJ5000X.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. PATWIST

PATWIST New Member

Home Page:
    Hello :), I am also happy with my SJCAM SJ 5000X Elite, Many colours to choose from, my choose is blue. Good video quality, but sometimes not very good in dark areas but never mind because of affordable price :) I bought it for recording motorcycle driving videos, you can find me on YouTube: JAWA 250 Rider :cool:
    I tested it and battery lasts 1 hour 10 minutes of recording Full HD 1080p 60fps video with some settings during it. I have SanDisk Ultra Micro SDHC 64GB Class UHS-I.
    I attaching photo of my motorcycle, photo is resized to 1024x768.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  19. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Looks like Tatras...

PATWIST likes this.
  20. PATWIST

PATWIST New Member

Home Page:
    Hehe, It is located there so no Tatras. I have photo of car next to Tatras here (not used sjcam)
    I attached another photo of motorcycle and me next to it, I am proud of this photo (taken by mobile LG G2)

Attached Files: