V1.20 vs V1.15

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by RBEmerson, Dec 2, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I'm short on time, but...
    All three videos are up, although, right now, V1.20 with EIS on is up to just 1080p. I expect 4K shortly.

4K on a 1080p video does not magically add resolution to the video! I use 4K only as a way to get around YT's compression. OK, that said...

My opinion is there are two things to look for in all three videos. Check the motion of the top of the windscreen relative to the trees in front of the bike. The left "clock" is the speedometer. Each blob of numbers is 10 mph / 16 km/h apart. Speeds, away from stop signs and traffic, run between 40-50+ mph / 65-80 km/h. (the right "clock" is the tachometer - 1000 rpm / blob). Note the clarity of the tach, compared to the speedo, small gas gauge on the left, and small thermometer on the right.

ADDED: What was I thinking? The numbers on the speedo are every 20 mph / 30 km/h. At least I got the tach numbers right.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. RBEmerson

The V1.20 videos were shot first. I swapped SD's and used the second SD to provide the V1.15 firmware. I had the V1.20 firmware if I'd needed it.

The fuzzy spot discussed earlier shows up on or near the tach. It covers the temperature gauge occasionally. Compare the speedo and tach to see the difference. The spot is present with and without EIS. That rules out EIS as a cause. The spot isn't present with V1.15 with EIS on. That rules out the optical train - lens, sensor, and whatever else the camera uses. It's my opinion that the problem is caused by the V1.20 firmware. The optics are OK, EIS doesn't make a difference. What else is there but the DSP programming (firmware)?

EIS 2.0 under V1.20 simply doesn't get the job done. There's adequate demonstration of this in the first 50 seconds alone. At 2:24 there's some jostling from the white patch of paving on the right - check the tree line and wind screen edge. V1.15's version of EIS, by comparison, is far more stable. Again, look at the opening minute and 2:00 through about 2:30 with the same pieces of road with V1.20's EIS. In my opinion EIS 2.0 is a step backward.

In total, V1.20 has significant problems. I've moved back to V1.15 and expect it to use for any videos until I see a more reliable version SJ7 firmware.

3. RBEmerson

I submitted a ticket about the image and EIS issues: #23619
    The overheating ticket: #23620

4. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Thanks a bunch, @RBEmerson
    Let's see what they have after looking into your tickets.

5. RBEmerson

I hope this gets more than "we'll look into it". There should be at least some discussion to sort things out fully.

6. RBEmerson

I shot some more sample video - this time from a tripod. I'd post it YT but it's a little chaotic. The setting was my backyard, panning across plants and trees. I used the frame mount and the motorcycle case, V1,15 and V1,20, EIS on and off.

EIS didn't make a difference to speak of. I tried rocking the tripod on its two front legs. Meh - no obvious results good or bad.

Here's were things get strange. Remember the set of 5 motorcycle runs. V1.20 had the "fuzzy zone", V1.15 didn't. This time around... V1.15 had it for the two tries (EIS on and off) in the frame mount, and in the first test in the case. V1.20 didn't have it in the frame or case.

Fingerprints or smudges? Nope - I check the lens and cleaned it anyway (50/50 91% alcohol and distilled water). Smudges on the camera port? Nope and the camera didn't leave the case to turn off EIS - last V1.15 test. And of course I checked the lens before the V1.20 tests.

I doubt smudges produce the small fuzzy zone seen in the videos on YT. Most finger smudges aren't little tiny things and large smudges should blur or fuzz much of the image.

Camera heat, perhaps? Oddly, the camera never got even "say, that's hot" let alone "I can't hold this" hot. The camera came out of the case to change SD's and load the V1.20 firmware, and to go in the frame mount. Given V1.20 brought the camera up to 130-135F, while V1.15 was only about 5F cooler, the camera should have been really hot.

The present conclusion is simple: there's no obvious pattern to when the fuzzy zone shows up. I'll be out on the bike tomorrow. I'll shoot just V1.20 and see how it behaves.

It will be helpful to hear from other SJ7 owners to see if this problem is limited to my camera, or other camera's have the problem, too.

7. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I recorded a very short video whilst testing the gimbal, footage looked fine to me. V1.20, 1080p 60fps superview with distortion correction. The video is posted on the owners group on Facebook if you wanna see it?

8. RBEmerson

Long story short: It's the camera. This time, with V1.20, the camera locked up. I disconnected the external battery. No change. (The good news is It didn't lose the file in use.)

I took the camera mount off my helmet and stowed it away while I did a quick run through a grocery store. The camera was still running when I came back and kept running until I got the battery out. (A fun moment in itself. The little plastic tag came off. A little careful tapping got it out. But if the battery had swollen like the other one...)

9. RBEmerson

Occasionally I do some time lapse video to watch clouds move by (interesting things often happen). I use 50K mAh battery packs. Using V1.20, the packs gave out much sooner than I expected. That's remarkable because video time lapse doesn't draw a lot of current.

Yesterday, out of curiosity about why the batteries were failing so fast, I re-loaded V1.15. The batteries held on hours longer than before. And the camera stayed cooler.

There's no doubt the battery packs are showing their age (about a year old) after many discharge / charge cycles. That means they go flat. That's not a good thing for lithium battery aging/service life. But the change to V1.15 clearly reduces the camera's draw. Less power used = lower heat. Conclusion: if the features in 1.20 aren't super important, think about going back to 1.15 until 1.22 or later improves heating (power use).

10. chirag

chirag New Member

Hi, this is Chirag from India. I have opened a ticket for left side blurr in videos shot by my sj7star (at any resolution). Ticket support staff gave me 1.15 version. So I downgraded from 1.21 to 1.15. Still the issue persists. I am attaching a image for reference. I have already given image and video links to support staff

If you see <comparo.png> image, the text/vehicle to the left side of video is blurry, whereas its clear on right side.

Similarly if you see <left issues.png> file, the objects on left side are not clear compared to objects on right side

Also, today i couldnt view videos on the camera, it was showing blank. Although they were available on the memory card.

Twice today, all the keys stopped responding. Had to remove the battery to restart the camera

Attached Files:

11. RBEmerson

I moved your question to this thread. so it's easier for anyone to comment to your questions and concerns.