V1.15 with EIS on

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by RBEmerson, Dec 1, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

This is the last of the test videos, but it's going up first thanks to how the transcoding process is running.

The weather for the ride was 8/10 overcast. It was shot slightly after noon, with sun at its highest point in the sky. There was no particular wind, or rain or fog.

The procedure was to ride a short, varied route to give a sense of camera performance. The "EIS on" route and the return "EIS off" route aren't quite the same, although they share a common stretch. Consider it a way to keep the neighbors from getting annoyed about someone zipping up and down their streets. That was the plan.

The V1.20 ride out and back were recorded. The "EIS on" route was shot at 1080p@ 120 fps. I have no good explanation for why this happened. Maybe I missed on selecting the mode... Who knows? That clip was transcoded down to 59.94 fps, to match the return "EIS off" route's 1080p@60 fps.

The V1.15 EIS on ride was also shot at 1080p@ 60 fps. The bad news is the "EIS off" ride was lost.

Quite simply, I'm inclined to think my SJ7 is cooking, or has cooked, itself to death. At the end of the ride, I used the Android app to turn off the phone. No response. I used the power button, through the motorcycle case. No response. I disconnected the external battery. No response. Through all of this, the camera seemed to be running, just not powering down. With the camera out of the case, and pushing the power button directly making no difference, I tried to pull the battery. Ultimately I had to use clamping forceps to pull the battery out. It wouldn't come out as it should, by simply pulling on the tab. Once the battery was out, the explanation is obvious. The battery has swollen on one side.

Given the 135F / 55C measured while filming with V1.20, I suspect this is, as I said, slowly cooking the camera.

Back to testing...

Looking at Tuesday's V1.20 testing, MediaInfo shows that the raw footage was shot at 30 fps, not 60 fps. As with the 120 fps surprise, I don't know why this is happening. The point here is that motion artifacts (streaking mostly) are more prevalent than at 60 fps. Now, at least nothing was shot at 30 fps.

Without having the V1.20 footage to show, I'll wait to write up the comparisons.

I posted the link before YT has finished processing it. When it's fully processed, the video can be viewed at any resolution up to 4K. I recommend doing that get as close to the original footage as possible. Anything less than 1080p is a waste of time and bandwidth. [/sad]

ADDED: I rechecked the 28Nov. raw files. They were shot at 60 fps (59.94 really). The 30 fps may have shown up during editing/transcoding.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Apo

Apo New Member

Do you have the same heat issue with v1.19 beta?
    Or you doesn't use it enough to be categorical?

3. RBEmerson

V1.19 was always a beta rev., so it's hard to know what's being added or removed during development.

Shortly after I bought my SJ7, I read posts by people saying "my camera's getting hot! This is terrible!" I did a little testing by touch. If I can hold something in my hand for a while it's "hot but not all that hot". Electronics put out heat when the do anything. More going on, more heat. That's why the high-end gamers use water cooling for their PC's. Anyway, my results were "hot but not all that hot".

Since the issue of temperature with V1.20 came up, I used the feel test and... hot! After someone suggested it, I got out my IR gun (for anyone in the US, Harbor Freight is a good source). About a half hour of shooting video with V1.20 produced 135F / 57C. By anyone's standards, that's hot.

Since then, I've shot the test video, but haven't had time to test the SJ7 with V1.15. It's probably going to take a day or two before I'll have anything to post.

Jason likes this.
  4. RBEmerson

I'm just bragging on myself here, but "V1.15, 1080p @ 60 fps, gyro on":

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Rogério and Jason like this.