Unable to update firmware

Discussion in 'SJ7 STAR Firmware' started by Damian Holt, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I’m having difficulty updating the firmware to 1.18.

I’ve downladed the zip and extracted the bin file. Placed the file on a freshly formatted card that was formatted in the camera and booted camera up but nothing happens.

I’ve also tried the 1.17 beta file but was unsure what to rename it so left the file name unchanged but changed the file extension to .bin.

Can someone please explain what I’m doing wrong please.

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

You should format your memory card in your computer, but not in the camera.
    Follow these steps to install the new firmware v1.18:
    1. Extract the memory card form your camera.
    2. Format the memory card to FAT32 on your computer. NOTE: If the card is nor formatted to FAT32 the update may not happen.
    3. Copy the contents of the downloaded zip file to your memory card.
    4. Insert card into the SJ7 Star card slot, and power it on. NOTE: Make sure you have more than enough battery charge.
    5. Camera will blink a few times and screen will go blank.
    6. Confirm your installation by going to General Settings > Version
    7. Format your memory card before using it on the SJ7 Star.

3. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Ah ha. That could be the issue then. Iv’e got a MacBook so I’m assuming the Mac format even though it’s fat isn’t correct either?

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

This could be problem indeed. As far as I know, those loaders expect Windows style FAT32 formatting. Some Linuxes (and maybe Macs also) have slight deviation from that style, and this could be the problem why the loader can't find the FW from the card.

5. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Cheers, I’ll try and find a suitable app to format the card as I don’t have access to windows.

6. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Sorted, it would seem I wasn’t leaving it long enough between booting the camera up, it took over 30 seconds for the camera to ask if I wanted to install the update, I assumed it would have been as soon as the camera booted up.

All good now cheers

7. Mohan

Mohan New Member

I have done all that, when I inserted the sdcard in the camera and turned it on it didn't go off as suggested in the instructions, it just stayed on, then I went to general setting and tapped the version nothing happens, I have no idea what the problem is, hope somebody can help. I am also in touch with sjcam support and they are trying to figure out what the problem is. My camera works fine with the installed version of the firmware 1.15 the only problem is I can't update the firmware. Any solution to this problem will be appreciated.

8. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Which bin file have you copied, I had issues with one of them not auto updating when I turned the camera on.

I also had similar issues with 1.19 but found constant tapping of the firmware version soon started the update procedure.

9. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

There is only one bin file in the package from the official source: http://v.sjcamzone.cc/SJCAM_SJ7-STAR_Firmware_V1.18.zip

Did you try to download and extract the FW file again, because sometimes files may corrupt during download or extraction?

Did you try to connect external power instead of turning the camera on after inserting the memory card with the FW file?

Did you try another SD card? For update it might be more reliable, if to use smaller card (few GB-s or even less). 4-16 GB micro sd cards are so cheap nowadays, that it might be reasonable to buy one specially for updates. The firmware file is just under 0.05 GB and fits even onto ancient 64MB card.

Haven't you renamed the FW file? This should be SJ7_FWUPDATE.bin. The FW file should have correct name, otherwise the loader can't update your camera.
    There is still a small possibility, that there is something wrong with your loader and it expects some other file name for the FW file. Then a loader update should help you, if SJCAM will release one.

10. Mohan

Mohan New Member

I copied SJ7_FWUPDATE.bin file I tried constant tapping but didn't work, I try it again and see, thank you for responding.

11. Mohan

Mohan New Member

I tried to download v 1.18 firmware update from the official site but I got virus alert by McAfee, so I contacted sjcam support about it, then they sent me the firmware update V1.18 through We transfer website and I was able to download it without any problem.

The file I downloaded was SJ7_FWUPDATE.bin
    No, I didn't try another SD card as mine is a new one ( 32 gb SanDisk, class 10), I formatted it to FAT 32 on my laptop, before coping the downloaded file from the laptop.

I removed the battery and connected camera to external power source and the camera turned itself on, so I shut the camera down by pressing the on/off button
    and turned it on again, the camera stayed on and I went general utilities and tap on the Version but nothing happened. May be I should have connected the camera to external power source and leave it so that the camera turned itself on and off own its own. I am assuming in this scenario I have to turn it on again and go to general utilities
    and tap Version, right?

Much obliged for your help.

12. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Maybe then your antivirus is corrupting those files? Or there is malware in your computer?

32GB card should be ok. Cards above 64GB might be problematic.

There is no need for tapping on version info. If the camera can't launch the update, then it is wise to start over - all steps, including downloading and formatting (you may try formatting in the camera before doing it again in the computer. Don't create any partitions on SDcard. Just quick format with default cluster size.
    There is no need to remove the battery, when plugging the charger in. The camera should power on automatically and to launch the update when there is a SJ7_FWUPDATE.bin file in the memory card. If the camera finds, that there is not enough power, it can skip the update. So better keep the battery in.

13. colineve

colineve New Member

Retired
    I too am having slight problems formatting to Fat32 in my iMac did you manage yours in the end? Don't know why there seems to be a problem.....the OS system is a much superior system in my opinion and there doesn't seem to be much support for it on here ...i.e. no instructions for formatting with the mac system

14. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

We are about to upload SJ7 v1.20 to sjcam.com

Please confirm everything is working fine.

Thanks!

15. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

See this tutorial:

Actually, here is not so detailed instructions for formatting under Windows either.

Troy likes this.
  16. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Yes all good. I used the native disk utility app on my Mac and had no issues formatting the card. Make sure you select the correct option as it’s not the default one.

Then I simply copied the update file to the card, placed it in the camera, went into settings and selected the firmware button and the update firmware option came up.

I’ve now successfully updated from 1.15 to 1.18 to 1.19 and just this second updated to 1.20.

Troy likes this.
  17. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Depending on which update file has been copied to the card (there are 2 files in both the 1.19 & 1.20 download) will depend on which method is used for the update. One updated the camera automatically upon booting up, the other you have to manually start it through settings and tapping the firmware option.

I didn’t have any luck with the auto process but the manually process has worked each time, although I think I only had to tap the screen a few times when I was on 1.15, the screen seems to be a lot more responsive when on 1.19 and only required one tap.

Troy likes this.
  18. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

SJ7 STAR NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE 1.20 HAS BEEN PUBLISHED.

SJ7 STAR Firmware Version 1.20 has been uploaded and published in the support site already, with links to the previously released version, fw v1.18, in case anyone would want to revert back to it for any reason.

About formatting cards on another OS...
    Aside from Mac and Windows (and Linux, actually), you can format the card straight from the camera itself. Which, in my opinion, does the job best when working on the memory card you use for the camera anyway. That way, Windows and Mac will just treat it like any other external storage device.

I've experienced formatting memory cards on Android phones for the same purpose, but results can be finnicky like with Macs, since many Android phones format (prepare storage devices for usage) actually puts some files and or folders because it thinks it is going to be used by itself in the phone. That can cause the SJCAM camera to either take time to access the files, or "miss" its own files and folders completely.
    Anyone else experienced this?

Damian Holt likes this.
  19. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Those two files are absolutely identical, except different file names.

20. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Of course they are!

But depending on which one you use will give you a different result. One automatically updates firnwear upon turning camera on, the other you have to manually update the firmware.

Troy likes this.