Two data(?) files per video file - why is that?

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by RBEmerson, Apr 6, 2019.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

There are two files accompanying each of the MP4's? AFAIK they're filled with non-text data. Why is that?

2. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    The LRV is al Low Resolution Video file, a renamed MP4 file. Somebody told it is used for the smartphone app. My problem is that I don't need this and it consumes CPU power (and thus battery life) and card space. I have no clue why the generation of this can not be deactivated. I wrote this to the support but as any of my inputs it was ignored.

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Those LRV files were optional before FW 1.2.1. There was the setting, App Preview. You may try this: Downgrade to pre v 1.2.1 FW. Turn App Preview off. Upgrade to the most recent FW (or the one you like the most). Try, if the setting remained off or not.

4. RBEmerson

SJCam manages to produce another mystery. I'll try the "change firmware rev.s" hack, but my guess is it won't matter. So much the better if it does. Anyway, using a 128 Gb SD, these files don't totally crush storage space. Good point about wasted CPU resources. OTOH, without them, I could probably use a 128 Gb for two days of 1080 HD shooting instead of about 1.5 days.

The camera is shooting time lapse video at the moment; I'll try the hack and report back after the run's complete.

What does the .THM file do to earn its keep?

5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

THM-s are thumbnail files for app. LRV-s are also for the app. If you do not use mobile app, then those files are totally useless for you.

6. RBEmerson

OK, makes sense.

7. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    I really like the cam. But it would be so easy to love this device if they would be able to maintain a better firmware. You always need several FW versions to setup everything properly. It's the same with changing the color profile, you do not need more than a FW version but you have to change other settings back and forth so that you can change this property. A lot of small things that should be easy to fix but SJCAM is not able or willing to do so...

8. RBEmerson

You've hit on exactly one of my continuing problems with SJCam - the products are "close but not ready for release". For those with the skill at tinkering with the camera and using firmware changes and mods, the camera's actually not a bad camera. But out of the box, for anything but 4K it's a dead loss.Except that's simple for the f/w tech(s?) to put right. If Nutsey on Gopawned figure the Ambarella chip out, it's reasonable to think SJCam can, too.

I'd like to know why the SJ8 is tuned to 4K and the rest is blah, but I'd also like to know why my free beer hasn't been delivered, too. Neither is likely to happen anytime soon.

9. RBEmerson

I renamed an LRV file extension to .MP4 and it was, a crappy, very low res version of what I shot. Woohoo!

10. RBEmerson

Do you or anyone else have a link to 1.2.2?

11. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

No. I don't have a SJ8Pro.

12. RBEmerson

Weird... I can find 1.2.0, 1.2.4, 1.2.9, and 1.3.0. My camera came with 1.2.8 but that's not available, nor is 1.2.2.

In a flash of mind-numbing brilliance, it occurred to me that the two files are the files seen with in-camera playback. I rarely use them, but I can see why they're there, need them or not. Oh well...

13. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Why do you need the 1.2.2?

14. RBEmerson

That was your suggestion for trying to get the SJ8 to stop creating the THM and LRV files. Anyway, the issue's moot. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" The files are annoying but not debilitating.

15. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Really? Maybe you have reading problem or my English is too poor for you, but I suggested PRE 1.2.1 FW (like 1.2.0.). AFAIK. "pre" means "older than" 1.2.1. Sorry, if "pre" means actually "post". AFAIK 1.2.2. should be post 1.2.1.

My suggestion was: "Those LRV files were optional BEFORE FW 1.2.1. There was the setting, App Preview. You may try this: Downgrade to PRE v 1.2.1 FW."

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  16. RBEmerson

You did indeed say pre-1.2.1. Missing that point is what comes of scanning a post. Mea culpa.

My guess is the "don't need this" flag will be reset or ignored in f/w after, for example, 1.2.0. I'll try the experiment this evening (EDT).

17. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Sometimes they disable a menu item in the new FW and do not overwrite the address, where the settings value is stored. Normally FW upgrade will not overwrite user settings, unless there is change in the structure of settings. But if it does, then my suggestion wont help.

18. puslad

puslad New Member

The LRV files are very useful for those who have a bad computer for video editing. Rename lrv to mp4 and edit the movie. Before finalizing the movie, you can easily replace these files with the original ones.

19. RBEmerson

@Sulev Svilponis You're quite right, user choices can still be present after f/w updates. It's going to be interesting go from hacked 1.3.0 to 1.2.0 and back .

@puslad Consider using Resolve 15 for slower machines. The increase in speed compared to 14 is astounding. BMD has just announced 16 which seems to be even better

There is a definite learning curve to Resolve, but it's worth the effort.