Touch screen back door difficult to use

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by teefer22, Jan 17, 2018.

1. teefer22

teefer22 New Member

This is my first experience using an action camera with a touch screen. My previous camera was an SJ4000.

Using the touch screen without the waterproof case works pretty well. However, when using the touch screen with the touchscreen compatible waterproof back door, the screen is really difficult to use. It seems like there is a small amount of dead space between the back door and the actual touch screen, so you have to press hard enough to "flex" the back door to make contact with the screen. Which makes it difficult to touch where you want on the screen. Dragging is virtually impossible.

I've never used any other touch screen action cameras, so i'm not sure if this is the way they all are, or if there is something wrong here.

Any comments and advice are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

The flexible window is a mystery. Trying to use the touchscreen through it is an exercise in frustration. Use the setup button on the front of the case. it's the button near the bottom of the case. The power and shutter button control the menu (sorry, can't remember which do what - experiment to find that out).

3. teefer22

teefer22 New Member

Thanks for the reply. That pretty much answers my question.

4. RBEmerson

I checked the buttons... The setup button opens the setup menu, of course. Pushing it steps through the menu options. There is no way to jump over options. Push the shutter button to open up an option. Use the setup button to scroll through the choices. Push the shutter button to choose use a setting and return to the main menu. To jump to the tools menu, hold down the power button for a couple of seconds. The setup and shutter buttons work as before. To leave setup, tap the power button briefly.

The above works whether the camera is outside or inside a case.

5. Phil Rosa-Leeke

Phil Rosa-Leeke New Member

LoL, I had the same issue with the so called "Touch Screen Door" plus it was creating the dreaded smudge/un-focused point on the images/videos.

Simple fix though. LoL, I cut it out, removed all the sponge, then fitted some thinner bits to keep the unit nice and snug. Now I have a true Touch Screen Door. Ok, so it's not water-proof, but for those situations I just pop on the H2O tight door. In my opinion, this way I have the best of both worlds, the lens is protected and at the same time I have full control of the touch screen.

6. RBEmerson

You don't need to get to the touch screen for normal operation. [/removed] See below

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  7. RBEmerson

The touch screen isn't needed to use the setup menu. Here's the right version for using buttons instead of the touchscreen.

Tap the setup/gear button on the front of the camera to get to the setup menu. After that, step through the items with the setup button (tap, move, tap, move...). Tap the shutter button to select a menu item, use the setup button to step through those options (set mic level, set resolution, etc.), tap the shutter button to select it, and be returned to the main menu. To shift from the camera items to the tool menu (crossed screwdriver and wrench), hold down the shutter button for a second or two. Resume scrolling those items as before. To leave the menu, tap the power button.

Replaying video, and pairing with the remote require using the touchscreen.

Holding down the setup button will turn WiFi on and off. A very quick tap, out of the setup menu, on the power button switches between video (or video time lapse - which ever video mode was chosen before closing the case) and single-shot camera modes. Holding down the shutter button doesn't do anything. Holding both the shutter and setup buttons at the same time doesn't do anything.