Tired of SJ CAM SJ 7 Star firmware problems

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by RaffaelePezzella, May 16, 2018.

1. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    It's been a few months, but there's still no firmware update after the 1.21 that fixes the following bugs and improves functions:

1- enable rotation at all resolutions
    2- enable stabilization also at other resolutions
    3- correction of the microphone sensitivity adjustment that returns to 70% even if I set it to other values (in the menu the correct value is shown, but actually the sensitivity changes with each restart of the camera)
    4- correction of the iso value that after the first shot returns to AUTO even if a fixed value is imposed
    5- development of a decent raw converter
    6- fix the soft sharpening settings that simply adds a lot of blur instead of DON'T apply sharpening (the sharpening is quite aggressive at normal setting).

It's a shame, this cam has a great hardware, but it's mortified by an incomplete software that is full of errors, and bugs...

For these reasons the cam did not fully satisfy me, and after some months I got annoyed, I will change brand.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    FishinJoe and hohol_m like this.
  2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

As has been discussed before, there's been no communication with SJCam representatives, let alone any apparent development of SJ7 firmware. My guess is SJCam is focused on the SJ8 line. Whether the SJ7 will get further support is anyone's guess. Frankly, I suspect that moving on to another brand won't bother SJCam very much. After all, they got your money for the SJ7. I suspect that new customers will buy the SJ8's. In short, for SJ7 owners, it's probably lose-lose.

3. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Yes I agree. The new SJ8 seems interesting, but has probabily the same quality of YI 4K + that would be great , but I have a lot of doubt about the "software quality", as happened on sj7...

meanwhile, my SJ7 is ready to be sell.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. RBEmerson

I have no experience with Yi products so I have no way to compare the two. The only other camera I tried is the Hero 5 Black. The imagery, despite having a number of the features you want, is definitely inferior to SJ7 imagery. If you can't do what you want to do, good imagery isn't going to fix the situation.

Keep in mind it's the end product, superior imagery, that counts, not the features. Keep it in mind when looking at other cameras.

Please understand that I'm not trying to talk you out of selling the SJ7. I'm giving my views on what to consider when looking for a new camera.

Damian Holt likes this.
  5. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    My brother has the Yi 4K + and it's MUCH better than SJ7 in image quality, photo quality, display, menu functions and settings (with no apparent bugs) but not in low light, infact the videos are a lot worse than the sj7 videos.

Then I would to give SJ CAM anoter chance with the new SJ8 PRO...

6. RBEmerson

"He who lives on the bleeding edge may be sliced by the bleeding edge". Being an early adopter has its risks. DAMHIK