Timelapse - What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Ian, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Ian

Ian New Member

Tried timelapse on the new sj7 today, set for 5 second timelapse, watched it bavk and its just a straight video, no lapse whatsoever. What have I done wrong?
    Thought it would simply be the same as my old sj5000+ but I’m rapidly realising the SJ7 has shall we say a few gliches

2. Ian

Ian New Member

Ok please imagine I never posted this
    I was setting timelapse then pressing the record button, as the sj5000+ did. However I just remembered the swipe up videolapse screen and hey presto it works. Feeling rather sheepish now lol

Phil Rosa-Leeke and Jason like this.
  3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If you are testing the Time Lapse function, would you be so kind, and test also if SJCAM has fixed time lapse interval problem. Please, check if the 30 minutes of T-L recording at 1 minute setting is 2x shorter than the 30 minutes of T-L recording at 30 sec setting! Or is it more like 5x shorter or so...

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I believe this referred to as a "learning experience". [/wink]

5. RBEmerson

Ian has raised a point that SJCam management needs to think about. Here's one more customer saying they're expecting problems because so many people are reporting problems. In short, user confidence is not where it should be.

Of course the number of people with negative comments invariably outnumber the people who're happy with whatever the product happens to be. That's a given for user forums. The basic content of many of the negative messages reduces to "it doesn't do what I want to do when I want to do it - this thing is s***". Sometimes the message is "it's broken - oh no, it's not, I made a mistake". I've posted a few of these in the case of sorting out V1.20. There also people who have very real, demonstrable, repeatable problems. In other words, something really is broken.

It's my opinion that too many of the negative posts here, related to the SJ7, end up being about a real problem. There are too many "it crashes", too many "it doesn't do what it should" posts. I've said this before, and I'll repeat myself in hopes SJCam management is listening, there is a serious quality control problem. Some problems are inevitable. What's appearing here is many problems. They've reached the point where more than one person is saying "well, I expect the SJ7 to not work correctly".

I see the SJ7 as a very good, competitive product in the action cam market. The components, the Ambrella DSP, for example, are excellent. It's the type of choice that separates a good product from an also-ran. If it has a reputation for reliability. If the postings in this forum are any indication, at least the SJ7 is pointing towards "nice idea, but it doesn't work". Again, SJCam management needs to work hard at turning this trend around.

6. Ian

Ian New Member

100% agree. I had a sj5000+ that gave me no end of problems after I updated the firmware and then it overheated so badly the back burst off it and never worked again.
    Now I did have it running off a mains charger which I dare say is not advised but still. Now I have bought the SJ7 due to think the previous was a one off but already I am losing confidence in it. The fact you have to hesitate atvthe thought of loading on a new firmware version is not good for SJCAM at all. Then theres the non feedback when you contact their customer services!!! Not good.

7. RBEmerson

As an aside, the mains charger should not present any more risk than either plugging into a 12V charger. Batteries never draw more than the present state of charge. That is, the acceptance rate is wholly dependant on the level of charge. So long a the input voltage is correct, the rest of charger is imaterial.

The heating issue... I hope we can get some input regarding the situation with other cameras. NTL a blown out camera is simply past unacceptable.

Regarding Support (sic), crickets, or worse, absurdity. ”My camera heats to 57C / 135F. What can be done about this?" "Turn the camera off when it gets hot." Honest-you can't make up something that utterly clueless.