Time lapse question

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by gomex, Mar 17, 2018.

1. gomex

gomex New Member

In video mode how do I have to setup timelapse to have a single video output? There isn't an off mode option.

Another question. The movie seems accellerated. Speed seems greater than reality ( my setup : Pal - 1080p 50f SV super fine).

All others things work well

Thaks

Paolo

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Why do you want to to shoot time-lapse video and play it back in real time?

First question: are you trying to view the time-lapse in real time with HDMI out?
    Do you want a single file for the time-lapse video? In this case, be sure looping is set to OFF.

Second question: Video shot as time-lapse video will always play back at faster than real time. Instead of shooting video at 50 frames per second, you're shooting one frame every 2, 5, etc. seconds. Playing the time-lapse video back at 50 fps can only speed things up.

If you want real time playback, you have two choices. Use your video editor to change its playback rate to whatever you want. Not all editors do this. Blackmagic Design's Resolve (free version) will do this and can change speeds smoothly inside one clip. Shotcut (free) will change the playback rate, too, but the rate can't be changed in any one editing clip. There is a work-around for changing speeds in the overall result - it's time-consuming to do.

You can also shoot time-lapse photos and import them into a video editor. Each photo can be extended to be visible for 2, 5, etc. seconds (that is, real time). Importing and editing, with a long time-lapse run, will take a lot of time and patience.

3. gomex

gomex New Member

Thanks for your reply. Maybe my poor english did some misunderstandings.

I don't want to play video in real time. I mounted camera on my motorbike and I want to play video on my computer.
    If I understood well I have to change set up from 1080p 50f SV to 1080p 25f SV and the video will play at the normal speed.
    I thought that more frame are better for video quality.
    Last question: How I have to setup the video lapse option. there are 1 -2 - 5 - 10 - 30 - 60 seconds option.
    Sorry but It's the first time I found this option in a action camera.

Many thanks

Paolo

Here the video

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Your English is much better than my Italian!

OK, you shot your video at 1080p @ 50 fps. If you're playing back with VLC (free), MPC-HC (free), or Windows Media Player (not my favorite playback tool), you don't have to make any changes. It should play back in real time. I just checked a file shot at 60 fps (no PAL here) and it plays back at the right speed.

I do not recommend using SV, though. As you saw, the overall quality of the video is poor. Simple 1080p @ 50 fps (PAL) should do the job. Check my YT channel for samples shot at simple 1080p @ 60 fps. I even have a few tornanti in there. [/wink & laugh]

5. sDrolz

sDrolz New Member

"Another question. The movie seems accellerated. Speed seems greater than reality ( my setup : Pal - 1080p 50f SV super fine). "
    If you record in time lapse mode, the playback will always seem like its playing in fast motion because you're taking a sample shot every few seconds and stringing them together to play back at normal speed. Its kind of the same effect as taking a normal full length video and playing it back at 10x or 30x speed. you get roughly the same effect, except using timelapse you get a better looking playback.