Time lapse + long exposure?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Phil Rosa-Leeke, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Phil Rosa-Leeke

Phil Rosa-Leeke New Member

Hi there,

I am sure this has been covered somewhere in the deep dark depths of this forum, but I have yet to find the answer I am hoping for.

I would like to try and take some nice night time lapse photos this coming Saturday as I will be out in the middle of the country where the is a 100% lack of ruddy light pollution and the sky is wonderful.

What I want to know is if I set my SJ7 to take a photo every 60sec at the same time of having the long exposure set at 30sec, do you think it will work?

Are those settings, mainly the exposure ones, about right to get those nice shots of the stars?

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I haven't tried that. The most you can do is try it and see what happens. FWIW, remember there's a full moon (or close to it) and that should show up. OTOH it'll wash much of the sky. Still... try different settings and play them back in the camera to see what happens.

I tried 1080@30fps video one night. Total waste time. [/ frown ]

The lens, even if a narrow field of view is selected, it a relatively "slow" lens (not a lot of light gathering compared to a "fast" lens with a narrower field of view and more "glass" up front). Changing the field of view won't make the SJ7 lens "faster".

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The speed of the lens is actually not a big issue. F/2.5 is actually not so slow, this is only 1.67 stops slower than F/1.4, that is definitely a fast lens.
    The problem is, that the sensor is not sensitive enough and is too tiny (smaller area = less photons to catch) for night videos.