Surveillance and power?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Phil Rosa-Leeke, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Phil Rosa-Leeke

Phil Rosa-Leeke New Member

Hi there.

Just a simple question.

Is there any harm in leaving a SJ7 plugged in over night to a wall charger (5V 1A) and filming at the same time (motion detection mode only)?

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Maybe. The issue is heat. Probably the camera will have enough idle time (not filming) to not really heat up. OTOH, the battery will still see some charging, which will warm things up. Hot lithium batteries are not happy batteries. Consider shooting with the battery out and only using external power.

3. HR-Mike

HR-Mike New Member

Hello everyone. My first post here.

I notice that when the camera is plugged into an external power source and is being recorded at the same time, the battery (on the LCD) is shown green and full, even when I know it is almost empty.
    I conclude that the battery is not charged at all, because it is still almost empty after the recording has stopped.
    All this is in DashCam mode (FW 1.21)

4. RBEmerson

What do you see in the battery icon when you start? I've seen the green icon, too, but see a nearly full (all white bars) battery after a long run. A good work-around is to pull the battery and work only on external power. BTW if the camera won't work without the battery, question the USB cable's health.

5. HR-Mike

HR-Mike New Member

No, it is constantly green while recording. If I stop recording and leave it connected, then the battery turns into animated white dashes and starts to indicate normal charge. Start recording in that mode automatically turns the battery in green and "fully charged".
    I think this is the way that protection from overcharging is done.

Removing the battery in DashCam mode makes no sense because in that case the date and time on the record are incorrect.

6. RBEmerson

??? I've pulled the battery for extended periods without losing time or date.

When and where did you buy the camera? I wonder if you have a product change.

7. HR-Mike

HR-Mike New Member

Let me check again, but I'm pretty sure of it.
    I bought it online in a trusted local store, checking the originality (the packaging code) on the manufacturer's website also confirms that it's really the original product .... i do not know ... as i said - i will check again how it behaves without battery .

8. RBEmerson

OK. I'm trying get handle on a problem that isn't common.

9. HR-Mike

HR-Mike New Member

Sorry my mistake regarding the date and time settings :D

My real problem of using DashCam mode without battery was that the camera simply wouldn't turn on and start recording automatically at ACC ON.
    After I manually start recording it would seem OK, but at the next manual restart it would report an error and offer "recovery" of the previous video.
    Conclusion: too many interventions at each camera startup, so I gave up.

My "date and time error" was probably due to the fact that I had factory reset the camera several times while I was trying to make it work as DashCam should.

10. RBEmerson

No worries about the time and date.

IIRC there's a dashcam setting (Something DV?) that should automatically power up the camera. Engage that option. Pull the battery and plug in the USB cable. Plug the cable into your computer computer and the camera should power up.

11. HR-Mike

HR-Mike New Member

Yes, that should be so, but it does not work that way.
    So I don't change the settings at all (the camera is already in DashCam mode). The only difference is that if the battery is in the camera all works as expected (switch on as soon as it gets power, starts recording, on power loss ends the recording, goes off, the next cycle starts without errors), and if the battery is removed then everything that I wrote in the previous post is happening.
    Tested right now.

btw, i just checked again that the battery is solid green only during recording, as soon as the recording stops the battery goes into white color and starts charging animation.

Considering the behavior described above, I really believe that there is no longer any need to remove the battery while using the camera, and overcharging was a problem with previous versions of the firmware and has now been fixed.

12. RBEmerson

Let us know how it works out.