Strange things happening

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by magicbob, Jan 24, 2018.

1. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I am experiencing some strange behaviors. Can anyone here tell me how to correct them without upgrading the firmware? Mine has 1.18.

¹. With the camera off, when I use my USB charger to charge it the camera turns on and the screen is active. Shouldn't it be charging when off like other USB devices?

2. When the camera is in video mode and I turn it on, I see the screen timer active. Is that supposed to be happening and does it mean the camera is recording? If it is recording, how can I make the default for it to be off?

3.I'm using the camera as a hand held device. When I am recording video, after maybe 20 seconds or so the screen turns off so I can't see what is recording. How do I keep the screen active and when the screen turns off, it is still recording?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

1. This is a feature, not a bug. I usually just switch the camera off after I connect it with a charger. This feature allows automatic starting up the camera on presence of external power, also automatic recording (together with the QUICK CAPTURE function) and automatic FW update. Yes, it could be useful, if this feature was optional.

2. Turn off the QUICK CAPTURE function

3. The camera is still recording, the screen is blanked for power saving. You can set SCREEN OFF option to adjust the time.

Troy likes this.
  3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

Regarding your strange behavior #2, if QUICK CAPTURE isn't on, you may be seeing the Date/Time showing the seconds counting up in the bottom left corner.
    If there is not a Flashing Red Dot, it is not recording. When powered on and the touchscreen is set for recording, the Date/Time will always show there regardless if Time Stamp in video recording settings is turned off.

Troy likes this.
  4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

V1.18 was a beta version - use V1.20 or V1.15

5. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Questions 1 and 2 have already been answered.
    About number 3, I suggest to keep it that way to conserve power while you're recording.
    You can "wake" the LCD by pressing the shutter, the next time you press the shutter when the screen is on, it will stop recording.
    This is pretty standard with most camera user-interfaces.
    LCD usage will significantly reduce your battery-use time, thus my suggestion.
    ;)