SJCam Zone for windows 8.1

Discussion in 'SJCAM Zone App' started by T-Bone, Jan 12, 2018.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

I found a way to connect the SJ7 Star to my windows 8.1 tablet using Wi-Fi and was able to download the video and photo files to it and watch them, but haven't found a way to save them to the tablet once transferred. The download was slow for videos of any size(much like the IOS app to an iphone) but not bad for still photos.
    I wondered if anyone knows of a plan for a SJCam Zone app for Windows 8.1. It would be great to transfer and save files to the tablet or computer wirelessly much as the app for IOS does.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Unless the tablet can accept an external device via a USB connection, I suspect you're out of luck. If you can do that, it becomes a simple file transfer. Why you can't move the files via WiFi is almost certainly on the Windows side. If you had something running Android, I could suggest some good WiFi file transfer apps.

3. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I’m confused. The op says he was able to download videos and photos to his tablet via WiFi. Surely if they’ve been downloaded then they’re already saved there in some capacity?

4. RBEmerson

If I read the OP correctly, he can see images/video with the tablet, but can't store them on his tablet.

Not owning or knowing much about MS tablets, all I can suggest to make a wired connection and let the file browser do the transfer.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

Yes I can download them to the tablet, view the camera AMBA folder contents and drag and drop the files into a folder on SD card of the tablet just like I do w/USB cable. As long as I'm connected via Wi-Fi I can view them. As soon the Wi-Fi is dropped the filenames still appear in the SD folder but can't be viewed. Can only be viewed with access to the camera. Other file transfer apps installed on my iphone(Simple Transfer and Transcend WiFi) work much the same way downloading to the tablet but allow saving the videos and snaps.
    The USB cable downloads as it should, is waay faster and is much more practical.to use at this point.

I read somewhere there's a SJ5000 SJCam Zone app for IOS and Android available and can be loaded to a "panel computer" from Google play. I guess "panel computer" is a desktop but don't know how that could work.
    Just thought it'd be nice to do this wireless.
    Back to the wire.

6. RBEmerson

IMHO, wire is faster. [/smile]

My guess is that if you refresh SD folder listing, after the link is broken, the names will evaporate. Or they should, if Win10 is any guide.

7. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

It is rather confusing.
    Maybe that's because most apps are operated from a "sandbox", like a temporary place to work on where it can do it's job. I know that mobile devices use some form of this to keep applications from "talking" to each other, a way of blocking out viruses and maximizes RAM usage.
    When you exit the app, the app that was called into RAM space will be removed, freeing up space for other sandboxes to be created in.

Now when you "download" the files onto your device, that calls the system to save to it's own media directory/folder oftentimes referred to as "Gallery" which is outside that "sandbox".

Someone correct me if I got the whole idea of sandboxing wrong.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    RBEmerson likes this.
  8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

Sounds reasonable to me.

Troy likes this.
  9. RBEmerson