SJCAM "time stamp" logo...

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Phil Rosa-Leeke, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Phil Rosa-Leeke

Phil Rosa-Leeke New Member

Is there a way to change the SJCAM logo that appears in the top left of the image when using the time stamp for my personal logo?

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Not unless you're really, really good at hacking FW binaries. Or have the source files. In short: nah.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

I doubt that SJCAM will provide a way to do this as it really means giving a way to rebrand their cameras and introduce something nasty into the firmware (who knows what can be done through data injection).

It's going to be a lot easier just to overlay an PNG image with a transparent back ground on your tracks as you edit them. That way you have control over de-fisheye, perspective distortion correction, colour correction, re-framing, digital zooming and digital panning without affecting your overlaid image.

BUT if you do want to change the logo and burn it into every video you take there is a way.

All you have to do is disassemble the firmware, trace where the image data is stored, work out what format the image is stored in and then over write that data in the firmware file with a new image in the right format that takes up the same number of bites at the same resolution and bit depth, repackaging it into the .bin file and away you go.

Now that brings up memories from my youth ....

4. Phil Rosa-Leeke

So in short, NOPE! Pity.

I wouldn't mind so much if their logo was something a bit less "in your face", but as it is nah. Also a pity they don't give you an option to add your own, they could go one step further I think by doing this in a way that if you could add your own, it would also show something like "filmed on a SJCAM" or the likes by default.

5. RBEmerson

Trust me, you're far better off adding your watermark during post production. Further, none of us work for SJCam. We're not under contract to do work for SJCam. We're not even volunteering to work for SJCam (hell freezes over first). So why sign their name to our work? The logo thing is yet another bit of proof that SJCam management attended Clown College.

Quennan Davis likes this.
  6. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    Was that advanced clowning or post doctorate clowning you think?

7. RBEmerson

Probably ABD - writing a dissertation... [/shudder]

If they paid real money for a fabulous new logo, I have oceanfront property in the Sahara I'll sell them at a "get in before the rush" price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TonySosa and Quennan Davis like this.
  8. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

That is a good idea... user's can upload own logo, watermark... I think that feature may be in the App editor suite.... I started a thread on ways to improve the app, btw.

Phil Rosa-Leeke likes this.
  9. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

You really have a oceanfront property? Can I see?

10. RBEmerson

Yes, you can see it. But only at low tide...

TonySosa likes this.
  11. RBEmerson

IMNSHO there a lots of better ways to put the space to use. If someone doesn't know how to super a watermark while editing video... see above re: Anderson Cooper's rolled eyes. If they can't do that, creating and loading a logo is out, too. See above re: Anderson Cooper...

12. Phil Rosa-Leeke

You're right in a way, but the way I look at it, why go through the process of doing that each time we edit when all we need do is click on the "Time Stamp" and it done for us. This way we need only "edit" once. Plus there is another way of looking at this idea, it sort of "personalizes" your camera.

13. RBEmerson

Think about it. With editing, make up a title card once. It can be any size, shape, color you want. It can have animation (really!). All it takes is to edit down the video to the final cut. Add a new track with the logo on a transparent background, Stretch it to the length of the video, and render, deliver, export, save, or whatever term your editor uses, to output the finished product. All done.

With the camera, you have to create the logo to the FW specs (think of avatars limited to 100x100 pixels, or nnn Kb), digitize it, get it into a firmware loader, do the load, inspect the results, correct any problems, digitize it... wash-rinse-repeat. Meanwhile all of this space in the camera memory is spent on a questionable feature. Which means there's less room for something really useful like advanced EIS, expanded RAW support, zoom in place of three step FOV, multiple output codecs... see the wishlist for other possibilities.

Phil Rosa-Leeke likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Moderator

It's easy to do an identity logo which can then be applied to your video.

I'd use Inkscape - a free multi platform vector graphic editor. make an image withheld logo, export it as a PNG image with a transparent background.

Then in whichever video editor I'm using I add a top video track, slap the transparent image in and stretch it to the length of the video and Bobs Your Uncle.

that way if you want to crop, refrain, defisheye or colour correct your footage you do that in their own video track and the logo isn't affected.

if you colour correct your clips, for example change the saturation or brightness, you'll also change the colour of the imprinted logo, so that would change from clip to clip if they have different amounts of correction.
    If you crop, reframe, digitally zoom\pan or defisheye your footage then the imprinted logo will also be subject to these adjustments and would be all over the place.

One use I see for this would be if you are using the SJ7 STAR as a dashcam and put your licence plate number in there - but that would be easier if there was a text field for that purpose plus apart from occasional travel footage to use in a final video or do motor blogs (in which case you might not want your licence plate number on there anyways) a purpose designed dash cam would be better.

15. RBEmerson

+1 for Inkscape. I know I've seen at least one editor (KDEnlive??) that almost incorporates Inkscape or makes it easy to connect to. Interesting point about adding some sort of ID to dashcam video. But entering it the way the WiFi SSID and password are altered? No thanks!

Overall, I think this fits in the realm of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

16. Jason

Jason Moderator

Personally I think the best fix for this is to remove it. it's annoying that after a firmware upgrade this is turned on by default. If you forget to switch it off you videos are trash until you realise it's on.

17. RBEmerson

Or, if it must be there (why???), default to off.

IIRC, it exists "for reviewers". One can but wonder...

18. Jason

Jason Moderator

When it was first introduced to the SJ5000X Elite it was all of a sudden - it appeared unannounced in a firmware upgrade with no option to turn it off.