SJCAM SJ8 PRO Video Quality Is Bad For Me

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by SuperMario, Aug 15, 2018.

1. kamkar

kamkar Elite

yeah i would prefer to not use EIS at all, and generally i never have a need for it, actually the bulk of my filming will probably be best done with a camcorder.
    Make me think people will drive their car badly just cuz it have a airbag that can save them.
    Dont get me wrong i can see that many people need EIS or what ever badly as they strap a camera on a MTB and hurl down a mountain.
    I am just wondering why, but thats pretty normal for me, even with the things i do myself.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Aside surrendering a few pixels around the edge, I don't see much wrong with EIS. OK, maybe in pans and tilts there might be small jumps, but unless a tripod is being used, it's "so what". With a good tripod, solidly mounted and with a good pan/tilt head, EIS isn't needed. Otherwise... meh. There are bigger problems to be dealt with. Like how to shoot well, and finding a story in the footage.

BTW, refer back to my Sony video for a comparison between EIS and no EIS. Aside from things bouncing around the non-EIS frames, and not so much in the EIS frames, I don't see any big hits again the overall imagery.

3. kamkar

kamkar Elite

No doubt it is good to have, but i will try my best to not bring myself in a spot where it is needed.
    What the GP7 do are freaky, full resolution stabilization are the way to go for sure.

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

If GPS, etc. (excluding no on-camera video being a drop-dead deal breaker) make your day, the Sony FDR-X3000 gives killer stability with no appreciable image loss.

When I get back to the US next week, I'll put some video from our current trip to Arizona. All from the Sony camera.

As things stand at the moment, I've given up on the SJ8 and SJCam in general. This is the same thing as happen the SJ7. It only went so far and SJCam simply went away. The camera, with V1. 21, cooked batteries, and a marginally serviceable camera. After promises of V1. 22 to come... Nothing The SJ8 became the focus of SJCam activity Unless we're a small minority of unhappy owners, it seems SJCam has gone back to the SJ7 only with a new name for a few tweaks and changes.

Until I have direct, personal proof of improvement in my hands, I'm done Have a nice life folks.

5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I have seen many Sony FDR-X3000 videos. These cameras have several problems, including overheating and resulting video quality loss. They are as sensitive to the wind noise as SJCAM cameras. They cost twice as much as SJ8 Pro, but still have no screen to show, what you are filming and how your adjustments work. The OIS is definitely a good thing to have, but for the price tag of the Sony FDR-X3000 you can buy SJ8 Pro together with a gimbal and still save a lot.

6. kamkar

kamkar Elite

yes sony need to be better on IQ and price

7. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    I also consider the video quality as bad in 1080p. Even if you consider that 1080p is limited in principal the quality is way below my old Nexus 5X that has the same Sony IMX377 image sensor. After inspecting the video file I think the reason is the very low bitrate of 8MBit/s @ 24fps and 12MBit/s @ 60fps (H.265/HEVC on setting to fine). If you consider that H.265/HEVC is about twice as efficient than H.264/AVC than it would be equivalent to about 16MBit/s what is really low. Good result on scenes with more than just a little structure require about 30-40MBit/s (or 10-15 for H.265/HEVC) in 1080p.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  8. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    It looks different for 4K@60fps. The option to encode in H.265/HEVC is not present here. The used bitrate of 100MBit/s seems reasonable to me here. Not a lot of actual high end mirrorless cameras support higher bitrates (the Canon M50 does and the Lumix from the G85/G81 up also support 150MBit/s). The Sony A7M3 is also limited to 100MBit/s. The sensor size in low light limits the output quality so that the noise consumes a lot of the bitrate. So I am quite happy with the 4K quality as it seems a lot better than the footage from the SJ7 Star. I wished SJCAM would give the lower resolutions more bitrate. A 1080p with sufficient bitrate can look really goot and here the distortion correction and the stabilization works best in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019