SJCAM SJ8 Pro, SJ8 Plus, SJ8 Air - Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'New SJCAM Product Releases' started by TonySosa, Dec 4, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I don't get frosting the case, period. It's the same thing as the obsession with matte black stuff. It looks all Delta Force and all that on the shelf. Live with for a few weeks and it's trash. Frosted finishes love to harbor dirt. Why do it? Assuming the front screen has some value, why make it unreadable. Or, put in a clear "window" in a small case and... why do frosted at all? It just makes no sense.

I see nothing wrong with an entry-level cam, a dashcam (not looking for pretty toys, just recording the car I just rammed into) or body cam (I find that, at the consumer level, completely bizarre), a mid-scale camera, and a "pro" camera. Three tiers and two specialty items - what's not to like?

2. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Yes people should let stupid fashion ideas be, cuz normally they are too late anyway.

Blue LED light = dead 10 years ago at least
    Matte black, while i painted my last case mod in that color + texture ( with red LED light - red cooling fluids and UV light to make the fluids pop ), then i tend to agree, though black are always beautiful.
    And its also around 8 years ago since i made that mod.

But adding a hello kitty or what ever is trendy to a product are not worth the effort if you ask me, just like the moment The fruit company made a red phone, a lot others instantly jumped the same bandwagon and that was just silly if you ask me.

I would take a really good camera i had to click together and put in a old match box, over another similar prized camera with a lot of "trendy" stuff but not so good images as money have been diverted away from image quality.

If you want to get ahead of the curb and be part of creating a new trend, ditch social media, its so uncool and unpersonal and cold, be real friends to some one, cuz one of those are worth a million "friends" on facetwitt.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

Well, there's been a spate of new cameras announced recently
    • A10 (new niche wearable)
    • A20 (already announced as the replacement for the unreleased A10)
    • M20 Air (Replacing M20?)
    • M20+ Air (replacing M2?)
    • SJ4000 Air (replacing SJ4000 wifi)
    • SJ8 Air (replacing SJ4000?)
    • SJ8 Plus (looking like a replacement for SJ5000x elite/SJ6 Legend/SJ7 Star)
    • SJ8 Pro (new level intro or replacement for SJ7)
    That's alot of cameras to design, firmware to write and systems to test and bug fix. At the minute all of them are vapour ware but as its took over one year to get the SJ7 to the state it is without having such a massive pile of new cameras to contend with I cant help but think that all of them are gong to be either buggy or with an incomplete feature set - or most likely both.

So where will that leave us - waiting who knows how long to purchase a potentially buggy camera, purchase a more bug fixed but end of line camera or look towards a competitor for equivalent products (nearest competitor for the SJ8 Pro is the Yi 4k+ which was released not long after the SJ7, except it has a higher processor)

4. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Not knowing much about the M20, it would sound sensible to upgrade its hardware, if the current model can just do 1080/30 then 1080/60 would be better, maybe even UHD resolution, and eis if the old model dont have it.

Maybe A20 is them realizing that a wearable really need EIS ?

5. Jason

Jason Moderator

The A20 was announced 3 weeks after the A10 so they must have been working on it for a while. Why announce one if you plan to replace it with another?

I'm totally confused by their list of upcoming releases

6. RBEmerson

You see why I have decreasing faith that the hands at the wheel know which way to steer, let alone know where they're going.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

That's a shame. I reckon you could have loads of fun wandering round shouting "Gopro Turn Off"

8. RBEmerson

Sigh... I guess I'll get a life and let all of this nonsense go. Time to stop p***in' on a forest fire. SJCam now has my very specific permission to do whatever makes them happy.

I got my camera. If it goes sour, something later and greater from someone else will be on the market.

9. SuperMario

SuperMario New Member

Its sad that sj8 seem like not happening that soon. Even the administrator is not coming out to say anything about it.
    Just hope it will coming out soon and not in buggy and incomplete feature set.

10. RBEmerson

Um, might as well hope you get a winning lottery ticket, too. [/smile]

11. SuperMario

SuperMario New Member

Anyway just hope sj8 will come out.

12. RBEmerson

You're not alone on that. BTW, remember the key to winning any lottery: "You have to play to win". Have fun...

13. nosb

nosb New Member

hey guys i really hope the sj 8 pro will be a good camera. at least on paper it looks great. hopefully the firmware will be good or at least good maintained.

can someone tell me if the 'superview' mode in the sj7 is the same like gopros superview? because some other brands have weird superview modes where you only gain some field of view left and right..

and of course.. any info about the release?..

14. RBEmerson

There is no SJ7 superview mode. There is a change in the field of view - wide, medium, narrow. Also, the camera can do lens correction to undo the "fisheye" look. The perspective can be a little odd, but that's hard to avoid in an 160 degree FOV.

15. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Yes i think in the SJ7 SV is Super Vide and not Super View.

16. Jason

Jason Moderator

SV is wider and taller

17. nosb

nosb New Member

okay, i checked the youtube comment i got and he was talking about the sj7 star.
    ( watch?v=0a8SjrASAVw&lc=z22gjlu5wn2ehtv4r04t1aokgbonurpgbg0rtd0xrc5hbk0h00410.1514281653967730 )

can someone confirm that the superview on the sj7 star is exactly like superview on gopro cameras? (full 4:3 sensor recording; pinched top and bottom together to fit 16:9 while not touching/effecting the middle of the image)

or is it like yi's 'superview' where you only gain some pixels on the left and right/ little bit more horizontal fov....

18. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
  19. nosb

nosb New Member

hard to tell on that video, i hope for the best. i guess you have no further information on release date right?

20. RBEmerson

Unless it's hidden away in some obscure corner of the menus, there is no superview on the SJ7. The field of view can be changed, but not in all modes. If there is an explicit superview mode, I haven't found it.