SJCAM SJ8 Pro, SJ8 Plus, SJ8 Air - Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'New SJCAM Product Releases' started by TonySosa, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator

It wasn't about GPS per se, but that off the list of promised features it's the first to fall.

Is it like the SJ7 - various features promised but not delivered upon release. If they're not sure they could deliver them they shouldn't have mentioned them in the first place. You start to wonder if the EIS WILL work at 4k,. or even al all, can it take RAW photos, will it do live streaming or if the voice control work (not that I fancy talking to the camera) or will they quietly be dropped

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Let's assume this is s simple dashcam video, and editing isn't needed. I still don't understand how a GPX track (using XML???) and video coexist.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

I don't use GPS but I'm assuming it can be done in one of two ways

Create a file with the same prefix as the video but with the GPX suffix

Ad a data track into the video file holding the GPS data.

The first would probably be the easiest to use as the data wouldn't need to be extracted from the video file and would provide more compatibility with software. The second keeps the GPS data with the original video but would give the problem of extracting it to the mapping software or however you choose to display the data.

4. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Doesn’t need to be the same prefix. The GPX data can come from a number of sources, gps watch, logger strava activity recorded by your phone. As long as you extract a GPX file from your gps data then it simply gets loaded when creating the edit.

Here’s a YouTube vide explaining it

Jason likes this.
  5. RBEmerson

Let me see if I get this right. The video tool in the YT video does the job of taking the GPX' XML and translating it into a video overlay which then comes out the other end as an MP4. If so, I see how to do the whole sequence and then edit it with Resolve or Shotcut or whatever without "breaking" the GPS data.

Or should I just sit in the corner and be quiet.

BTW somewhere in the video comments, someone said the app needs a particular GPX format. Probably GPS Babel can fix that.

6. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    That’s complety possible too and in fairness probably a lot easier than having to align multiple tracks. Just align once then export the new file with data to be edited in your chosen editor.

I would have thought GPS Babel could fix any issues. I have a garmin watch so guessing the gpx data would already be in the correct format.

7. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer

I disagree....

Im sure the entire AUTOMOTIVE enthusiast community would too. We LOVE nothing more than knowing how fast our car is moving and what kind of Gs we are pulling

8. RBEmerson

Please see the amended version of my post, relating how aliens got into my office and forged the "Bilbo Baggins" post. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [/laugh]

9. Jason

Jason Moderator

We did nothing of the sort

10. kamkar

kamkar Elite

I am sure many a automotive enthusiast would love that, driving legally on a track or illegal on the streets as kids are forced to here in Denmark as a thing like track days are not something we have.
    And our tracks,,,, well in the US they might go for a private little go cart track, but that's also it for us + they cant be used daily as that would freak out little birds flying over, and god forbid some farmer living 5 miles from the track.

I also got a little video recorded when i drove my quad bike on the MX track back in 2006, but i have to admit even if i had a acation camera back then i probably not use it after a while as my driving was not that eventful as already back then i really was too old or at least too poor physical state for track driving.
    And i dident get any video from stunting the quad bike, just a few still pictures of a middle-aged man ( 40 at the time ) throwing it down unlike most in my age group.

So sure there are a large group of people in many countries that would like those sensor readings, but i thill think its marginal in regard to the total sale volume for all action cameras.
    Maybe not for the Garmin / GP and what not that have those sensors, cuz the people that want that will off course go to those brands, as well as a lot that dont need the sensors will cuz those brands / models are trendy in their social group / segment.
    I would take the sensors too if i had to, but i would prefer a 50 dollar lower prize, and even if i was to win a little lottery money and get myself a motorcycle modified for stunt driving and though i am now past 50 in age, and would like to videotape myself braking a bone for the first time.
    And even if i won enough to buy myself a track car i could use in my new home country, the video and sensors will not be of much enjoyment to me, but i would probably be Jonesing to get out there again.

May also be a age thing, that video or it dident happen thing are not really me, seem like young folks today have a enlarged urge to share/ document.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  11. RBEmerson

Conveniently, I have logged data for all of my Alps footage. I'll try converting it and installing it. Might prove interestin'...

12. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Something to do in those cold and dark winter nights

13. RBEmerson

Hah! More like 7-8C and sunny here - although that will change, of course. But you're the one in cold, dark Denmark. [/grin]

14. RBEmerson

Well, it sorta works. I took the first four clips from a day's ride and converted them to a single 58 minute clip. I dropped the GPX version of my track data (exported from Garmin Base Camp) on top of the clip and... about 30 minutes in the panel was hopelessly out of sync with the video even though they both covered exactly the same time span. My guess is that, unless the video is treated as many short clips, each with their own data file, things never really hold together. For some reason, the data gets ahead of the video. I'd expect the reverse. Oh well... now I know.

Damian Holt likes this.
  15. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

SJ8 Pro will definitely have this. We need to wait to confirm for SJ8 plus and SJ8 Air as these will be NTK and for some reason they never add this...

16. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

I tried to have this added for the A10 but I think the recommendation was too late... :(

17. kamkar

kamkar Elite

I think we talked about it long ago too,but not to worry i know how hard it is to push good ideas upstairs in a company.
    you might be able to get a good idea up there, but then it end in some corner covered in dust and forgotten.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  18. RBEmerson

For a body cam, not having EIS strikes me as a major omission. IMHO it's a deal-breaker.

19. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Yes the footage do get quite hectic to watch, and if you add a little low light forcing the camera to use longer exposure times it get worse.
    For my planned long distance walk this summer i am hoping for 1 thing in particular, and that is that we get something we can actually call summer in 2018, or at least just the 1 week i will be walking across Jutland.
    Cuz i plan to document every step of the way, but i will probably use the SJ7 in video or photolapse mode.
    Just have to devise some form of mast for the camera that can attach to the backpack i have not gotten yet, my plan are to have the camera a foot or 1.5 over my head as i walk along.

20. Jason

Jason Moderator

I first rea 1.5 over your head and thought you meant meters - blimey kamkar wants to pretend to ba a drone.

Have you tried strapping a monopod to the side of the pack to see it that would work?

Damian Holt likes this.