SJCAM SJ8 Pro, SJ8 Plus, SJ8 Air - Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'New SJCAM Product Releases' started by TonySosa, Dec 4, 2017.

1. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

SJCAM SJ8 Series will be coming in early 2018!

SJ8 series will consist of 3 models, the SJ8 Pro, SJ8 Plus and SJ8 Air.

SJ8pro will have Ambarella chipset and Sony sensor with Native 4K recording capabilities up to 4K@60fps. Check ou each model's hot-spots in the links below:

SJ8 Pro
    SJ8 Plus
    SJ8 Air

bernard, Kjahled Vtrl, Bezbod and 3 others like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Moderator

Looks interesting, pity it'll be far too late for Christmas. I do hope you can reign in marketing this time so they only market features it actually has, unlike the SJ7 which was originally marketed with a list of features that it is only just starting to get. It does upset users when you buy a camera listed as having specific features only to find out that they haven't been implemented yet.

Loads of questions, which you're probably not in a position to answer yet but I'll get them on the table anyways in case I forget ;)
    Is the 30m water resistance without a case or do you still need to put it inside a waterproof shell?
    Is the h264/h265 user switchable of does the h265 automatically switch in when recording higher resolutions/bitrates?
    What bitrates do the cameras record at?
    Do they have EIS at 4K?
    Do you have finer control over the video/photo s (e.g. ISO, shutter control)
    Do they take Raw photos?

TonySosa and Damian Holt like this.
  3. kamkar

kamkar Elite

That look like a awesome spread.

SJ8pro = drool :cool: ( lost for words )
    SJ8plus = amped up SJ7 star = nice :) ( wonder if NTK chipset allow for 4K EIS that would be cool )
    SJ8 Air = looks like its a good 1080p shooter / amped up SJ6 Legend :)

I do hope batteries will be the same in all 3 models, to me that's a major plus even before buying any of the models.

That SJ8 pro better not be prized too well, a thing like that might just totally collapse my economy in the first half of 2018, cuz it do have that must have feeling for sure.
    I am pretty sure my editing software can not handle 4K/60 and i know for sure it can not handle H.265 cuz i already tried that ( Pinnacle studio 20 ultimate )

PS. there are a spelling error on the SJ8plus listing ( 30M Water Fesistant )

Kjahled Vtrl, Troy and Jason like this.
  4. Jason

Jason Moderator

Price wise I guess it will depend of the area of the market the new cameras are targeting

SJ8 Air – looks as if this will be targeting the area currently dominated by the Novatek 96660 processor i.e. the budget end of market. The sensor is the same as the one in the SJ5000 Wifi. This area is around £30-£90 UK depending on things like build quality.

SJ8 Plus – looks as if it’s targeting the middle end of the market where the SJ7 (£155), Hero 5 (£265) and Yi 4k (£172) currently sit.

SJ8 Pro – with the 4k 60 fps this is targeting the top end of the market currently only occupied by the Yi 4k+ (£230) and Hero 6 (£360)

Of all these other cameras I believe that only the Hero 5 and Hero 6 have water resistance without having a waterproof case.

I can't check how Pinnacle Studio 20 Ultimate at 60fps at the moment - I have it on another computer which I won't have access to till the end of the week. Are you certain that you have the HVEC h265 codec installed on your PC. If it doesn't handle HVEC then you can transcode to an intermediate format it can handle

It could be your PC that will be the bottleneck in 4k editing as 60fps is going to need loads of memory and a beefy processor.

TonySosa likes this.
  5. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Must be compute power, i have a older core I 7 cpu but the ram i am good with as i have 32 Gb, way more then most people.
    I cant even remember when i had as little as 8 Gb in a computer, think it was way back in the single core days.

I can play H.265 files just fine on my PC so the codec must be there, but loading one such file into PSU 20 just dont work ( files from Mobius 2 camera )

PSU 20 handle 4K30 files just fine, but i cant see a way to export as 4K60 in the software, i am hoping SJ will soon provide a raw 4K60 SJ8pro file for download so i can try to load that into my software and see what happen.

I want to upgrade to 8 / 16 core Threadripper CPU, time to join team AMD again ( been away since my dualcore Opteron "Denmark" CPU 1700 MHZ @ 2500 MHZ )

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  6. Jason

Jason Moderator

Just popped home and tested it on my computer there - Using an Intel i7-4790 4ghz with 32gb memory and dual NVidia GTX960 I was able to import and edit the HEVC and export 4k50fps (had to set output preset to custom then set frame rate)

kamkar likes this.
  7. kamkar

kamkar Elite

I am 3790 3.5ghz i think with the auto throttle up / OC and just a GTX 570 ( needless to say a GFX also AMD are also on the wish list though no one makes games i like to play anymore )
    Other than the Auto OC or whatever i have not done any OC on this PC though it are water cooled ( use to be both cpu - ram and GFX but after upgrades its just CPU now.
    Otherwise i have done Over Clocking on my computers since 700 MHZ was OMG that much power computer :)

At least i have a flat screen now, my old 22" CRT finally died a few months ago. :D but its just 1080p/144

sjcam_admin likes this.
  8. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Forgot to mention the A10 body camera that's also on posh gadgets.

Me and Tony talked about such a product a long time ago, so nice to see it finally getting there, and looking forward to see the final specs and what it can do for users.

TonySosa likes this.
  9. TonySosa

- Still need case for IP68
    - SJ8Pro supports EIS up to 4K@30fps, Plus as well

We need to confirm the other answers to the other questions.

Will revert back once we get more info.

Cheers

Jason likes this.
  10. TonySosa

SJ8Pro Confirmation Only:

- There will be a menu option for 264/265. Currently Ambarella chip only supports H265 at 1080p@60fps, 4k30 & 4k60. Support for other resolutions may follow later.
    - 4K/60 up to 100Mb/s
    - Can have fixed ISO or ISO/Shutter control for Photo/Video
    - SJ8 pro will support RAW

kamkar and Jason like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Moderator

Will the release of the SJ8 signify the end of production or firmware development for other items in the product lineup (e.g. SJ7, SJ6 or the Elite)

12. kamkar

kamkar Elite

From my part it do look like the SJ8 range can and will replace the SJ7 and SJ6 range, so i think production of those will be terminated at least most of them.

But i do think they will still have some firmware support, it do seem like other users still find little errors with them still, and also have some wishes that might get implemented in the products.

Personally i am sadly not getting to use the SJ cameras to the level i wanted, i was hoping for a lot of action in the summer but it was just sooooo bad this year so that put a damper on our activities, and now where my friends father died a month ago and we are trying to empty the house we have plenty to do too.
    And as a early retired Dane its not like i can afford the drive down to my friend every day, but at least i dont have to use that for a excuse cuz with his bad shoulders ( arthritis ) he need a day or two off to recuperate before he are ready again.

Off course then i could sit here in my living room and mess with the cameras, but that's just so boring and i am not even sure i would see the flaws at least not if it is in the footage. So aside for camera crashing or menu flaws or operational flaws i wouldn't see them here in my dark living room.

Do piss me off some cuz i feel i am letting SJcams down. :oops:

13. 88 Photography

88 Photography New Member

"Can have fixed ISO or ISO/Shutter control for Photo/Video" I hope this is true- would this feature benefit slow motion in post if you could control your shutter speed while recording footage? i have the m20 and was curious what the actual shutter speed is when that unit records footage?

Papajosh likes this.
  14. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Hope Sj body camera have EIS, as this old footage of mine with the Innovv C3 camera on the head prove such a camera really need EIS

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  15. Jason

Jason Moderator

As h265 HEVC is more efficient than h264 AVC for the same quality - will the 100Mb/s be for 265 or 264?

16. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Probably both, though as you say H.265 are more effective so it should not need that much.

Only other dual mode camera i have are the mobius 2 and i think its the same rates that apply no matter what you choose.

17. Jason

Jason Moderator

Another question sprung to mind. OK there's hype about the Type C connections - but that's just a connector and doesn't mean a thing if the underlying USB version is still USB2 so can you let us know is the camera USB2, USB3 or USB3.1 compliant.

18. kamkar

kamkar Elite

I think this is relying on what the SOC support of USB standards, USB 3.0 would be nice for the increased bandwidth that would come in handy moving nice 4K footage off your camera.
    Personally i have grown extremely happy for the USB C plug in my phone, so i would not mind that in more products

Ken J likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Moderator

@kamkar - I usually pop the cards out and put them into my USB3 card readers, rarely using the USB cables for data transfer, but as a type C doesn't guarantee that it's a super fast connection I think SJCAM need to be clear about what the USB technology is.

There's a lot of sites saying "it's USB type C so is going to be super fast" - assuming that only USB3 can use a type3 connector (wrong).

If it's USB2 then there will be a slew of "my USB is slow" support posts if they don't come clean upfront about it. If it's USB3 or 3.1 then really they should advertise the speed gains and tell everyone that.

I can see the next wave of not what it seems "4k for $30" fly by night camera companies switching to type C sockets because of the "type C = USB3" misconception so buyers think they're getting something they're not - after all it's not their fault if people just assume it's USB3 is it.

20. Jason

Jason Moderator

Another thought - will the SJ8 have a RTC battery so that it doesn't keep loosing the time and date when changing batteries?

Papajosh likes this.