SJCam SJ8 PRO - Custom Firmware

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Kaliningrad, May 7, 2019.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

If I had to say, "golly gee, I'd like to cavort and sport about in those lovely, but hot and humid, tropics, however my camera won't let me", guess what camera would go for the long swim. If a camera won't work where I can, it's not worth having.

2. kamkar

kamkar Elite

It is also the first time i have had a camera overheat on me, i have done recordings with the Sj7star in the same place, and it did not overheat, but i am not sure what resolution i used then, might have been 1080P/120 whatever the Sj7 run a substantially smaller bitrate than the 100 mbit of the OA camera.
    On your bike you should be able to drive all day, even if you have found your war way down south on the pan American highway.
    At least i cant see why not, it might be hot but you have a decent airflow over the thing unless of course you have it in a waterproof case.
    When you get off the bike you might have a problem chasing the local señoritas around with that selfie pole.

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The GOP M column is a number of frames between anchor frames.
    The GOP N column is a number of frames between independently coded frames.
    GOP M 1, GOP N 15 means following frame sequence:
    I P P P P P P P P P P P P P P I,
    where P is a predictive coded frame.

Kaliningrad likes this.
  4. RBEmerson

Sorry, it reminds me a little too much of the name of a US state and river: Mississippi.

NTL thanks for the information.

5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

This frame sequence shows how the bitrate is compressed. The best video quality and the highest bitrate would be, if there was no P-s at all, only I-s.
    I = full frame saved.
    P = only changes compared to the anchor frame are saved.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Kaliningrad likes this.
  6. RBEmerson

Um, but don't I's slow things down because of the almost redundant data for the entire visual frame? Don't P's speed things up because there's likely to be less data than the parent I. And equal data for the worst case?

All this is, for me, of academic interest - not much I'm going to tinker with.

Speaking of editing with Resolve and not worrying about I's & P's, in the demo art for Resolve 15 (and 14??) involves views of a sci-fi film of some sort. It's a DUST Sci-fi short called Hyperlight. Tons of work in post on top of the basic editing. Just cut and combine where needed, grade before, during and after adding SFX.

Here's the short:

7. Kaliningrad

Kaliningrad New Member

STOCK FW vs MOD FW
    4K30, VIVID, ISO1600MAX

[​IMG]
    4K30, FLAT, ISO1600MAX
    [​IMG]

8. RBEmerson

Which MOD rev?

INSHO The flat version gets the nod over the vivid version.

The problem with vivid is it pushes colors much too hard, often making the scenes look faintly unreal. In stiff photography, it is/was called the Kodachrome effect. Blues, in particular, were pushed hard, leading to "Kodachrome skies" or "Kodachrome water". (Kodachrome was a film product - may still be available?)

9. kamkar

kamkar Elite

O yes i have shot many many Meters of Kodak, but B&W film, the fancy smancy color stuff had to wait until i got a job to pay for color film and its development.
    but in School i could get all the free B&W film i wanted, and really you need to shoot B&W first, at least thats also what some great photographers say.
    I still have the kit to develop B&W film, but i need all the chemicals and of course papers ASO, and then i probably need to look up the internet cuz last time it was in use was around 1983 or so.
    And at that time i also started to really abuse my brain :oops:

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

How could possibly all I-s slow things down? All I-s mean, that the frame is usable without any processing. From P-s it is necessary to calculate the actual frame before it can be shown. Only if your system's read speed from the storage is extremely slow (read speed is slower than bitrate), then all I-s could have any slowing effect. Especially, if you want to watch only special section, not from the start - in case all I-s, it can start showing right away, but if this section starts from P, it is neccessary to go back to previous I, then calculate all P frames until the start of the section and only then you can see the first frame.

11. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Honestly I kinda like the Vivid profile better. It's giving more detail in the shadows, much more clearer and sharper.

People who don't like VIVID can just select and use the FLAT profile I guess.

12. RBEmerson

This what makes horse races. [/ wink & grin]