Sjcam sj7 star microphone adapter?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Redouane, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Don

Don New Member

Retired
    I used the GoPro Adaptor from Ebay.

2. DanJ1902

DanJ1902 New Member

Which one?
    There are literally hundreds!

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

This is covered in another thread in depth https://sjcam.com/community/threads/external-microphones-etc.304/
    Micro USB does not have audio as standard - it uses 4 pins of a 5 pin adapter (2 data 2 power).

Camera manufacturers offering extra functions will use a 10 pin Micro USB adapter which gives them 6 spare pins to use for whatever they like.

As there is no standard pin for mic in or mic select the individual manufacture uses whichever pins they choose which means that an adapter for one manufacturer is probably not going to work with a camera from another. Other pins may be used for AV out or FPV control, again which pins are used is up to the manufacturer.

At the minute SJCAM doesn't provide a 3.5mm to micro USB adapter so it's down to users to make there own or to buy the SJAM Lav Mic.

I'm nothing to do with SJCAM apart from the fact that I use their cameras.

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I just ran through the SJCam accessories list. There are two(!) external mics. I guess you can hack the mic off and figure out what wires go to what contacts on the microUSB connector. (replace the wire ends with a jack and plug as needed) The FPV cable is a little weird as apparently it supplies 5VDC (as expected) and two leads marked as AV out. There's a remote shutter option marked as PWM (pulse width modulation???). This cable is marked as for the SJ7. The GP FPV uses (if I counted them right( 12 contacts - no use for the SJ7. The weird part is there are 5 contacts. Power takes two leads and AV out seems (per the picture) to take two leads. Is the remaining contact audio in, with the other mic lead going to the minus (ground or return or earth) lead?

Soooo... If someone's feeling brave and bold, buy an SJCam SJ7 external mic and an SJCam SJ7 FPV cable. See if they can be turned into an all-in-one power/mic cable. Isn't fun to see how quick I am to spend other people's money? {/BIG WINK]

5. Jason

Jason Moderator

The 5th cable will be for the FPV shutter operation. the PWM bit possible means short pulse to take a photo, continued connection to start a video - or something along those lines. This is usually connected to a FPV control circuit on a drone.

Looks like the only option for power + mic adapter is for someone who can solder fine wires without making a massive blob of soldered mess to make them up (so that they fit into the motorcycle case) and start selling them on ebay.

6. RBEmerson

That all hinges on what the AV leads do. The SJCam external mic can't use the power leads. A dedicated shutter lead seems a little odd. Hmmm...

Suppose the bit of the firmware watching the input lead treats PWM one way and audio another way. If so, then it's two leads for power, two leads for sending AV to the the droid's circuitry / transmitter, and one input lead. The voltage (-) lead handles returns for the AV output and input lead.

This is all conjecture, of course.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

From what I've seen I don't think the FPV leads handle external mics. As they are meant to be used with fpv controls on drones the shutter cable isn't odd as it let's the controller take the shots they want rather than have it snap regular intervals.

This is the way the fpv cables work on the firefly and others using generic fpv circuits

8. RBEmerson

Look at the possibilities this way. The FPV cable and the mic cable use the same connector (micro USB) on the camera. (without seeing the cables, I'm guessing) There are five contacts on the SJ7 camera. The picture of the FPV cable shows four leads. Unless the mic needs power or a balanced input, it uses two leads. A dedicated shutter lead seems a bit odd. The AV leads appear to be output only. So what's left?

9. Jason

Jason Moderator

Although the standard micro usb plug is 5 pin, The plug on the SJ7 is a 10 pin plug. A 10 pin port is atoll compatible with a 5 pin plug.

4 pins on the standard micro usb plug are defined by the spec (2 data, 2 power)
    The remaining 6 pins on the 10 pin plug carry the other signals.

AV out being analogue would have their own pins.

The 10 pin socket on the sjcam has a separate and dedicated analogue mic in and digital mic select pin. the mic in doesn't look as if its broke out on the FPV cables.

The shutter release is a digital pulse and has its own pin.

You have to remember that they are not using standard 5 pin micro usb.

10. RBEmerson

Unless someone did a really, really good job of concealing the second set of contracts, I can only find five contacts. I've twisted the camera anyway way I can, and used a high magnification lens. I keep coming up with five contacts. I've repeatedly asked SJCam for a clarification on the point. So far nothing has come back.

11. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

If your SJ7 can use SJ external mic, your mini usb is 10 pin. :)

12. Jason

Jason Moderator

I think the additional pins are recessed so that they don't snag when you use a standard data/power cable. I can't see the additional 5 pins on mine but the SJCAM LAV Mic has a 10 pin plug and works.

13. DanJ1902

DanJ1902 New Member

Thanks but I'd already done the reading and know modding of a cable would likely be required.
    To me, it appeared that the OP was stating that he just bought an adapter (and not mentioning that he had done anything to mod it) so was curious which one he had bought.

14. DanJ1902

DanJ1902 New Member

I'm thinking for my needs that double system sound may be the way to go anyway. Can leave the SJ7 in its waterproof case for better protection when hiking etc.

15. RBEmerson

The "diving" case works out of water, too.If you want to shoot lots of video, think about using the SJCam "motorcycle" case and connecting the power cable to an external battery.

16. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Sure you can. But there are downsides - somewhat decreased image quality and maybe problems with cooling (in hot climate).

17. RBEmerson

Sigh... Why make everything a complicated problem? I just don't get it.

The case window is flat and clear. After lots of shooting with the motorcycle case, I don't see any visible difference.

Although I'm personally not happy about the possible temperatures the camera can reach, if SJCam isn't excited, I guess I'm not, either. (Which doesn't mean I won't continue to press the point with them.)

18. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I am glad that in your latitude there is no serious issues with camera cooling and you are satisfied with it. Besides, when recording on motobiking, then intense cooling wind flow helps a lot. But some people might use this camera in much warmer climate and/or not so well air cooled way. Then it's good to keep in mind, that the housing might worsen the cooling conditions.
    Concerning the image quality, then it could be significantly reduced by the housing. Especially, when recording towards direction of the sun.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  19. RBEmerson

Please keep camera overheating issues in this topic or start another topic. Camera case issues are also OT here.