SJCAM SJ7 Star diving hints

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by erwinaverdijk, Aug 14, 2017.

1. erwinaverdijk

erwinaverdijk New Member

-
    Can anybody my give hints for the best settings under water? I go next month to Indonesia for diving and dont know what the best settings for diving.

Kind regards,
    Erwin

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I suppose you could use a fixed, lower number ISO setting. It depends on how deep you plan to be and whether you'll be doing swim-throughs or wreck diving. Past that, I'd just shoot and then tweak the color balance, to enhance reds and back off blues, in post-production.

sjcam_admin and corallino like this.
  3. EdwardTH

EdwardTH New Member

You could buy a magenta filter to attach it in front of the lens. It filters the blue hue from the underwater environment and you can have a better color correction than a PP.
    Shoot at 60 fps, stabilized if you don't mind not shooting at 4K: underwater and handheld camera is waaaay less stable than in the atmosphere.
    Get a floating attachment for the case or a floating handgrip: you don't want to search your camera on the sea bed, trust me :D
    Practice with framing: a ultrawide lens can be tricky to frame properly, so practice in advance to get perfect shots!
    Use the wristband and tightly attach the camera! When hitting the water after a high dive is way less rare than you think to loose the grip on the handheld pole; better safe than sorry!
    Put a dry sheet in the case to prevent condensation on the inside: this is a must and those little fellas are cheap as dirt.
    Double check if your underwater case is waterproof: I know this is silly, but an old case can have a seal damaged (or a new one can be faulty! Is rare, but it can happen) and you don't want water near your camera; put a piece of toilet paper crumbled into the case, close it and leave it underwater for a night to be sure; you can use a dyed water bucket so any leakage will be immediate to see on the paper.

4. RBEmerson

The dry sheets can be found at a dive shop or is this something else?

A thought about the filter: Being able to color grade the video means adjusting for changing color balance. More importantly, shooting without a filter means there's more light going to the sensor (swim-throughs or wrecks can be rather dim). Color grading takes some skill, but IMHO it's worth the effort.

sjcam_admin likes this.
  5. EdwardTH

EdwardTH New Member

Depends how well stocked is the shop :D Generally, yes. Also in photographic equipment shops. But online is way easier and cheaper (like, 20 for 5€).

sjcam_admin likes this.
  6. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Show us some pics guys, bet they'd be awesome!

EdwardTH likes this.
  7. RBEmerson

Works for me! [/grin]