Sj8 pro max file size

Discussion in 'New SJCAM Product Releases' started by pete, Sep 28, 2018.

1. pete

pete New Member

Hello,

recently i bought a sjcam sj8 pro, very happy with the cam.
    i am using an extrme pro 64gb from sandisk.
    Formatted in the laptop as exfat.
    With camera in video mode ,loopmode off,the max. size of the files is 20 minutes recording (2,12gb)
    After the 20 minutes is starts making a new file (for another 20 minutes) As if loop mode is on,but it isn't!!
    I don't think this is correct? Firmware failure?
    Or do i miss something here?
    What i want is one file that is bigger than just 2 GB should be possible i believe. But How?
    Even formatted in Fat32 should give me bigger files (4 GB)

thanks, Pete

2. Oleg Gorfinkel

Oleg Gorfinkel New Member

I have exactly the same question! This doesn't seem to be an actual file size limitation per se, but rather, SJCAM just limiting the maximum recording time to 20 minutes in the settings. I can't even fathom what their reason could be for doing this (there is certainly no LEGITIMATE reason for denying users the ability to record continuously until the memory card runs out of space). I wonder if we'll ever get an answer...

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

AFAIK at least EU demands much higer tax rates (import duty), if camera can record longer than 30 minutes. See https://www.fujirumors.com/yes-eu-i...-h1-limited-30-minutes-will-change-2018-2019/

4. Oleg Gorfinkel

Interesting... thanks for this information. Is there any indication, though, that that is actually SJCAM's thinking behind the 20 min. limit?
    By the way, I've read elsewhere that even though the SJ8's recording time is limited to 20 minutes, it records consecutive segments seamlessly. It that really true? Can it actually go from one file to the next without missing a frame, so if they were all stitched into a single video, it would be smooth and continuous?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  5. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

I always use "avidemux" to connect files, and there is no gap.

6. Oleg Gorfinkel

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation!

7. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

If there is no limit setting, file is cut every 4GB and drop out occurs.

8. Oleg Gorfinkel

Even when the card is formatted as ExFAT?

9. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

My old M20 can record without time limit setting, but not yet try.

10. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

IMHO 20 minutes/file is at the edge of practicality when editing the files afterwards, but that's a personal observation.

If combining files is important, any good editor can produce a seamless file of the 20 min. segments. Rendering a few hours of combined files (to produce one very long file of combine 20 min. segments) into one file is going to take a while, though. The duration depends on the speed of the editor as well as, the overall speed of the PC/Mac.

11. Oleg Gorfinkel

If all you need to do is to combine the files and do some rudimentary cutting and pasting, there is no point using a complicated editor that will re-render the video. For that, there are such wonderful products as Avidemux and Video ReDo, which allow you to move pieces of video around with little or no rendering required. Of course, if you have to do titling, transitions and the like, then yes, you'll have to use the big guns and render in the end.

12. RBEmerson

Or render to keep the original footage for some reason...

13. Oleg Gorfinkel

Like I said, if all you want to do is to combine and keep your original footage, you absolutely do NOT need to render at all. You can just stick all the segments together in a simple editor that has the ability to cut at I-frames and avoid rendering altogether, thus keeping the original quality, too.

14. RBEmerson

If editing the original files doesn't matter, there it is. Depending on what it's in the files and why they need to be merged, playing with files and then realizing something's wrong can be an unhappy experience. NTL, your files, your choice.

Re: render quality, an editor such as Resolve can produce rendered files in a number of formats, all of them preserving the quality of the original. Or transcoding to a format with less quality or resolution (i.e., 4K to 720) Overall, rendering doesn't mean loss of quality.

(Resolve has free versions that don't have some functions such as dynamic image zoom but are other 100% functional. Most of my YT videos went through Resolve. I used Shotcut for some editing, but that was because Resolve 14 imposed heavy CPU/GPU loads. Resolve 15 was significantly revised to clear up that problem. While Blackmagic Design promotes Resolve 16, I recommend downloading Resolve 15.)

15. Oleg Gorfinkel

If you are very safety-conscious, you could opt for preserving the original files untouched, but to me, that's an exaggeration. There is also an argument to be made that keeping a lot of smaller files around makes things less manageable and could be more of a risk in the end than combining them into one. Not to mention that logging the content across many small files is a nightmare. In my usual workflow, I first pull all the segments from a shoot into a single file in Avidemux or Video ReDo and then do a first rough, lossless edit, trimming off any obvious garbage. The resulting combined file then serves as original footage with zero quality loss.

I am afraid you are flat wrong about this. Any time a compressed video is cut between keyframes (I-frames), the interpolated content has to be restored and then recoded into a new sequence, with quality inevitably being lost in the process. This quality loss may not be very noticeable in the first and even the second generation, especially with very high-bitrate original footage, but it is there nonetheless.

Edits in Avidemux and Video ReDo only work losslessly when you cut exactly on the I-frames. Video ReDo has the added virtue that for off-I-frame cuts, it recodes only a small, local segment around the cut, leaving the rest of the video intact. That is not a very reliable process, however, and I've seen glitches occur in that editor, particularly when the original video has some compression issues to begin with. That is why, for lossless cutting, Avidemux is still my tool of choice, despite all its obvious limitations. It is one of the few free tools out there that allows completely reliable lossless editing (VirtualDub is another one, but it's even more rudimentary in its functions).

As for the major editors, including Resolve, as far as I know, none them them support precise cutting on the I-frames and then saving without recoding, because they simply don't need such functionality. The whole point of using a complex editor is to be able to cut anywhere and then alter the footage significantly, so lossless saving becomes a moot point.

16. RBEmerson

Whatever. Somehow I've gotten by without worrying about I's and P's. I suspect that most users aren't even aware of the topic, let alone address it in their work.

17. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Don't you realize, that those I-s and P-s are directly a bitrate issue, that you seem to be so worried about.
    The best quality and the highest bitrate would be, if there was no P-s at all, only I-s.

18. Oleg Gorfinkel

Yes, and.... what's your point? I don't even understand why we are arguing about this. I said there was a quality loss, the other guy said there wasn't. I explained why he was wrong. If you and RBEmerson are suggesting that this quality loss is so small as to be negligible, it's a different argument altogether, and that would really depend on one's production needs. I can tell you that any serious video producer will certainly try to do all the editing in a single generation, precisely to avoid the loss of quality. Those are the kinds of productions that record their footage at the highest possible bitrate, and they still care about quality loss! So, folks who record with consumer cameras at 17 or 24 Mbps should care about that even more, don't you think? I can certainly notice the difference between first- and second generation footage from a consumer camcorder, and most people would, too, if they only cared to look closely enough. The real point here is the one RBEmerson makes in the last sentence of his message: "most users aren't even aware of the topic, let alone address it in their work." That's the truth -- in fact, most people know or care very little about video, and don't even notice it when the result of their work looks shoddy, because all they want is something that's just "good enough."

19. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Sorry Oleg, I was not talking to you. Therefore you don't understand.

20. Oleg Gorfinkel

Oh, I see, you were replying to RBEmerson... Sorry.