SJ8 Pro Crashing

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Kevin Burns, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    So I just bought a SJ8 Pro and currently using it in a time lapse project. I have the camera mounted in a weatherproof enclosure (not the one included with the camera) high up on a tree. Its setup to record the construction of my new building. I connected to it via wifi with my android phone (OnePlus5) to set it up and start the time lapse. Everything went fine up to this point. After letting it run for a few hours (3 second intervals), I wanted to download some pictures from it over wifi. When navigating to the file menu screen, it doesn't load any files (pictures or videos) then crashes. I have to pull the battery to restart. After it locks up, the rear screen keeps the gear icon displayed. The camera is running the latest firmware 1.2.4 out of the box. I've tried factory resetting it and changing no options other than the shooting mode. This has no change. If anyone can offer any insight or need more information, it will be greatly appreciated!! If this is the wrong place for this, please help me to find the correct forum section. Thanks again!

2. Papajosh

Papajosh New Member

Upgrade firmware to 1.2.6

3. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    Other than it being provided by somone in a link to a google drive folder, where would I find the most current version? I like to regularly check for firmware updates but the most current on the Support page of the main site is 1.2.4. Other than the link in this thread, I wasn't able to find any new firmware.

4. SiB77

SiB77 Member

I downloaded files from sjcam pages before they toke them offline for checking for gyro+distort correction tearing. Just unpack both files to memorycard and boot camera. About minute and camera reboots into new firmware, easy.

5. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    Ahh ok. I wasn't sure if there was a secret club to get the firmware before anyone else, haha. I have them downloaded and when I go over to get the images off the SD card, I will update the camera. Thanks for providing them to me!

6. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    I loaded up the 1.2.6 firmware and it has no change. Just to clarify, when trying to browse images or video from my Android device over Wifi, it shows no files and then crashes when I leave the file view window. All other functions work fine from the app, its only when I attempt to view files.

7. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Is it just the time lapse images you have on the card or is there other stuff too?

Can you try another card abd also do you have another phone you can try to connect to?

8. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    I don't know whats happening now, it seems to be working. I can view files recorded from all shooting modes. Maybe the card needed to be reformatted or defaults applied? I will keep everyone posted if it happens again and try different devices to see if its just my phone.

Damian Holt likes this.
  9. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    At least it's working. Did you do anything different this time? Different card, phone etc?

10. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    I'm not doing anything different from before it started crashing. Same phone, same microSD card. I think the firmware update to 1.2.6 fixed it. I will have to do more long-term testing to be certain its fixed

11. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    That's good news, just be warned the 1.2.6 got pulled and is undergoing further testing.

12. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    No problem. I'll keep an eye on it. Do you know if the firmware can be flashed back to lower versions? If so, I may flash the 1.2.4 just to be safe. I can do without viewing files wirelessly.

13. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Yes, you can step backwards to any version using the exact same process as the upgrade.

There may possibly be an audio issue with 1.2.6 along with possible tearing issue, however the user who experienced the tearing issue also had it with 1.2.4 so I believe it's his issue is hardware related.

14. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    Oh ok, good to know. I haven't used it much for video, mostly photo time-lapse at the moment. I have the SJ4000 I bought 2 years ago and its been great, the audio sucks but otherwise, its a nice camera.

15. Tanmoy

Tanmoy New Member

Hi,

I am experiencing touchscreen lags and sometimes not registering touch at all in Sjcam sj8 pro. I am currently using with firmware 1.2.4.
    Another problem I am facing is that, when I record in 4K and zoom in and out and then while playing the recorded video, the zoomed part is having a green bar at the top of the screen. Can anyone try this and share if experienced the same.

16. Kevin Burns

Kevin Burns New Member

Self Employed
    Just an update. The issue is still there. I ran a photo time lapse last night and when I went to view the files from my phone, the camera crashed. I can still connect to it via wifi but cannot control it. The camera also becomes unresponsive to physical button presses on the camera itself. The only way out of this mode is to pull the battery or disconnect power. I ran this test last night with no battery installed and just usb power. Firmware 1.2.6

17. SiB77

SiB77 Member

You can force shutdown by pressing power for 13-15 seconds. No need to pull out battery.

Sorry, can´t help on the rest.

18. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Ok so we need to start eliminating stuff.

Can you change to another card and try with s different phone