SJ8 Pro - Buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by asm19, Jul 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Multisoft

Multisoft New Member

All cameras work with the FAT32 file system, it doesn’t matter exFat card or other format, always no more than 4GB

2. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

SJ7 Star supports Fat32 and exFat... It supports 64GB sdcards... so it has to support at least exFat... And even if they have any reason to split the files, I don't want to missout Audio in the process... It's clearly audible and something I just can't tollerate for the (by the time) flagship product...

3. Multisoft

Multisoft New Member

Heh... it costs a lot of money, you can ask :)
    But what will it give you?!))
    Ambarella Inc.
    Russian company: Rhonda Software - Camera Design House
    And more others...

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

V1.17 or 1.18 work well. After that, the f/w became more and more unreliable.

If I could find a free SJ7, I'd like to compare it with my SJ8. I'm not 100% sure the SJ8 would be the winner.
    The SJ7 has no weather-sealing, it doesn't manage external power well, and there are other problems. NTL, I wish I hadn't sold it.
    And it's possible (likely?) I'd question my sanity for thinking the SJ7 is as good as I remember.

5. RBEmerson

I found the audio dropout in the first frame of the new files, too. In many cases I was able to take the audio from the last frame of the old file and punch it into the first frame of the new file. Depending on the audio, it's hard to hear the punch-in. BTW, I shot at 60 fps. That makes the audio from any one frame very short, and that makes the punch-in harder to find/hear.

6. gabo

gabo New Member

Drummer
    SJ8 Pro, to Buy or Not to Buy.. My thoughts after owning one for a year. BUY!

Yes there are a few issues with firmware, some of them solved with custom firmware from Nutsey at goprawn. There are some quirks and issues. However, I have produced a lot of videos that look great. I have used 1080P, 2K, 4K resolutions with very few issues. If I'm going for youtube and doing minor editing, I generally use 1080P due to file sizes. For a bit more editing I use 2K, for max editing/zooming/panning/etc I use 4K.

In all of these modes I have successfully made videos, not had any crashes, and not had any real hangups. In other words, I was successful at capturing the video, transferred it to the PC, and edited it as desired.

Could the camera be better, absolutely. I agree with one comment that they should put the firmware in the public domain and let users FIX it all!

However, at half the price of a gopro hero 7 black and basically very similar quality, it's a no brainer. Buy two of them!

Now I'm looking for a 2nd camera. Don't know what the SJ9 offers that the SJ8 doesn't have. And there is the Yi 4K+, but it looks to be more expensive. So if SJ8 is the lowest cost and the SJ9, Yi 4K+ is 30% more, and Hero 8 black is double the cost. Then I'll buy another SJ8. If SJ9 is just a little more and offers something better, maybe I'll try that.

gabo

7. quazar912

quazar912 Member

sales
    Home Page:
    I bought my self Hero 7 (after 2 SJ models) and there is no chance to go anythnig less than Go Pro...amaznig quality and stabilita wothout any issues...

I don`t care about price if it is what is supposed to do.

but you can check my words on my YT channel...

8. gabo

gabo New Member

Drummer

Yes, if money was no object, I wouldn't even look at SJ, YI, or any of the camera, or even be here posting! They are all trying to BE a GoPro for less money, that's the whole objective. If money were no object, I would have never even found or known that SJCAM existed. For my next cam, I would purchase a GoPro Hero 8 Black, done.

But since money is important to me, I can buy two SJ8's for the same price or possibly even less than one GoPro, I can compromise just a little bit in both quality and operation and live with it. Most of my videos, especially for Youtube don't even use or need the max quality of the SJ8. For the ones that do, it's acceptable quality and an acceptable level of reliability at a good price point. Indeed, for many of my videos, having two cameras that I can position at different angles and then edit them together produces better videos than one camera with better quality.

So, you are right, if price is not important, buy the GoPro's, they are the standard bearer. If you're looking for a lower cost alternative that is acceptable, I think the SJ8 is pretty good.

gabo

PS - I do not work for SJCAM or anyone! Nor do I sell or derive anything from any of these cameras. I'm just a user who makes videos.

9. RBEmerson

It turns out I have some original files from my 2017 trip in the Alps. The video bandwidth, read with MediaInfo works out to 32 - 36 Mb/s. Looking at freeze frames, the image quality is as good as I remember.

As I said earlier, this camera isn't even remotely environment resistant. Look in the right place through the SD slot and it's possible to see the interior of the camera. For all of that, I never saw a hint of dust intrusion. Possibly the lens and sensor package are sealed together???

The UI is awkward, there are features that people interested in still photography will miss. IMHO use a phone instead, unless fisheye stills are a must-have.

Use 4K playback for the following, at least for the freeze frames. The video was shot at 1080 but 4K gives the cleanest results on YT.

For all of that, the finished product, the video image, is very good. This video cover the descent from an area with a glacier. What matters here is to freeze playback and look at the details, particularly the rocks at the start and trees after that. At about 19:45 I encountered a herd of cows in the road. At 19:56, check out the detail in the cow that passes by. The fur in the ears is clear, and it's easy to read the yellow ear tag on the cow's right ear. (Regular riders will groan and "say not these videos again!")

Unfortunately it was a cloudy day when I shot that video. This time the sun was out and it was "tourist weather". Look at, with freeze frames, the rock walls, flowers, etc.

I looked for SJ7's on eBay. Typically, they cost about $150. Would I buy one at a much lower price? Probably.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. Derg

Derg New Member

I just bought gopro8, never again sjcam!

11. RBEmerson

What are you specific concerns?

12. Mikus

Mikus New Member

I hear the Hawkeye Firefly x (ln preorder) is going to be an sjcam killer

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 6:49 AM
  13. Mikus

Mikus New Member

I thought.1.21 Was a fix for the audio?

14. Mikus

Mikus New Member

I'm happy with the Yi 4 k +. It does everything
    Sjcam can't do!!

15. Mikus

Mikus New Member

I use the exFAT filing system Samsung Evo and select u3, in 64 and 128 gigs in my Yi 4k + , in 4k 60 fps resolution, with Max set in the menus and there is continuous recording until 30 + gigs before split!

16. RBEmerson

I hear there's going to be free beer tomorrow, too. Rumors aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

17. Mikus

Mikus New Member

'was studying their facts site , the features cover all sj8 pro's bases! All they have to do to beat the no nothing code writers at Sjcam, is get the firmware right!!

18. RBEmerson

Being in the cynic I am, I'll point out that what's "coming soon" on any company site for any product, not just cams, isn't always what arrives.

In defense of the firmware people, it's usually the bean counters that overrule the engineers. If management says "do the SJ9", blame them for engineering not working on the SJ8. The SJ7 f/w died the same death.

To date, SJCam fits the above profile rather too well. They're not the only people who do. Moving on...

19. Mikus

Mikus New Member

This is a repeated problem with this company-no interest in service after the sale! Yi technology has an warehouse in Washington state , and I have had a repacement of a Yi 4kplus for defective voice control! The programmers have made an app that works unlike the sjcam zone thatdrops and won't connect my Sj7. Yi stands head and shoulders over sjscam!

20. RBEmerson

Sounds like a good reason to go with Yi. Enjoy! [/ smile]