SJ8 Pro - Buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by asm19, Jul 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. asm19

asm19 New Member

Hello everyone,

I want to buy an action camera, I had a sjcam sj5000x but with problems I had at the software level I decided to sell it. One thing I don't like about sjcam is the resolution of the firmware bugs, the support team can not fix the bugs and we get a bad camera at the software level and good at the hardware level.
    Right now, what is your opinion, is it worth buying the SJ8 Pro or is it better to buy from another brand?

Thank you

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I think, that pretentious users should not buy SJCAM cameras. These are for customers, who are willing to do compromise between the quality and the price.

Papajosh and Damian Holt like this.
  3. Tanmoy

Tanmoy New Member

Never buy a sjcam you are going to be troubled wasting your money. Having a hard time with sj8 pro, not able to use it for the huge investment.

Arif Ali Saiyed likes this.
  4. SiB77

SiB77 Member

Firmware problems from start to finish. Do not buy!

5. Papajosh

Papajosh New Member

Despite of the problem you had with your Sj5000x, youre still thinking about getting an Sj8 pro. That's a good sign that you should get one than buying another brand you have never used before. I had problems with my older sjcam cameras before but it didnt stopped me from buying new models.

6. ArijitB

ArijitB New Member

Looks like SJ8 Pro still a horrible product, I was one who has the great expectation but not anymore. After lots of search on the Internet, I decided not to buy.

It seems SJ8 Plus is a less troubled product or the best product in terms of reliability. Of course, the Internals are far better in Pro but what is the point if you can't use it as you intended.

I wish there is an SJ9 Pro which will address and rectified all the issue of Current SJ8 Pro.

DrMengede likes this.
  7. DutchRC Adventures

DutchRC Adventures New Member

Home Page:
    Maybe I can add some insight / my experiences with the SJcam's I've used.. I run a YT channel so I obviously need reasonable good cam's But I'm not made of money, so no Gopro for me ;)

I started out on the 5000X Elite (I had 2) and at first it was unusable because of the bitrate being Far to low. I had a contact at SJcam at the time (Tony) and had to keep bugging him with 'bitrate to low!' over the course of about half a year.. After that the camera's were useable.

The the SJ7 was released.. I have 2 of those.. It took about a year before those had a useable firmware.

I now have 2 SJ8 pro's.. Firmware issues? Offcourse.. I run the 1.2.7 firmware which I know was pulled, but it works for me.. The video's it shoots are far better then what the SJ7 shoots.. So eventhough it has firmware issues they have improved my video's. I don't even think 'wish I could afford a Gopro'..

To this story I have to add that I am a software engineer by trade, so seeing these products being released with firmware's that don't even come close to 'consumer ready' is cringeworthy to say the least.. Yes.. I do understand the 'time to market' thing, and at Some point a company just has to release a product..

But ohw well.. I'm now reviewing a Flysky transmitter with a firmware that's Lightyears from having a reasonable firmware :D This makes the SJcam firmware situation look flawless

Damian Holt likes this.
  8. saints5354

saints5354 New Member

Tomtop site selling SJ8 Pro (camera only) at US$179, i think is worth for those budget user.

9. Aleksandrs Bazilevics

Aleksandrs Bazilevics New Member

Well if I new all cons I would buy different one.

10. Arif Ali Saiyed

Arif Ali Saiyed New Member

I have recentely purchased it and I will post my experiance here in 2 weeks.
    I ma still onboarding. Currently I have two issues.

1) I cant upload the video youtube( may be there is some configuration that I need to figure out.
    2) I ma getting error after every 5-10 minutes that says your SD card is very slow.
    While I am using a Class 10 and U3 memory card from Samsung Brand

My Sd card model is : Samsung EVO Select 128 GB its class 10 and U3.
    I purchased this SD card in US and its made in Phippins. The SD card exact model number is MB-ME128GA/AM.

11. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Does this uploading problem happen with both codec versions (H.264 and H.265)?
    And even with short videos?

12. Arif Ali Saiyed

Arif Ali Saiyed New Member

Hello, I have tested my SD card outside camera using many speed testing tool and its able to perform 60 to 70 - MBps for more than 2-3 GB files.
    So its seems problem is with camera.

@Sulev : I will try that and let you know.

4K videos that I have recorded have the audio video sync issue as well.

13. Whitehawk

Whitehawk New Member

Do not buy SJCAM ! Bulshit firmwares, I have the SJ7 Star, a lot of issues (mic, 120fps not usable, etc..), the last firwmare resolve one issue but add anothers : mic sensitivity at 50% = shit sound, play recorded video directly on the camera is not working anymore, and maybe more..
    This was my first and last sjcam, next time I will probably buy Xiaomi ! Sjcam is not capable to resolve firmware issue after 3 years without adding new ones so ... probably soon a dead company.

14. kamkar

kamkar Elite

With your SJ7 you do not want to use the latest firmware 1.21 i think it is, you need to try a older one.
    And yes that is kind of sad the last firmware for a product are not the best one,,,, as any sane person would assume.