SJ8 pro 1.3.1 Firmware

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Luisfreire.eu, Jul 21, 2019.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

All of my Alps videos and later were all transcoded to 4K using either Shotcut or Blackmagic Design's Resolve 15 (16.0 & 16.1 are not for the faint of heart). Resolve is my editor of choice. The non-Studio version is free. The video is delivered with the resolution bumped up to 4K but otherwise out-of-the-box stock 1080 settings.

You're right uploading 4K is a time and bandwidth burn time and bandwidth, but AFAIK it's the only way to step around YT's compression aggravation.

I'm currently in Germany and my SJ8 is in the US, so it's going to take 2+ weeks before I can post some what's wrong with 1.3.1 and MOD4.2.

Here are samples of fast (49 Mb/s) and very slow (12 Mb/s?) The point here to see what the difference between bit rates does.YT has chewed into both 4K videos but it's tolerable compared to 1080 uploads. Look at grass areas and roads. There's a big loss of detail in the grass, and square blocks in the road. Compare that with the high bitrate screen grab.

49 Mb/s
    [​IMG]

12 Mb/s(?)
    [​IMG]

2. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Yes the difference is seen very clearly in your videos.

I finally used Resolve to transcode my videos to 4K but I didn't have the heart to upload it. My regular 1080P files exported from power director 17 in .MP4 format is just 700 Mb for a 3 minute file but when I transcoded this same file to 4K in resolve in .MOV format the file size was more than 4 GB. Ouch !

Guess I'll have to just put up with YT's hardcore compression till I become a famous Youtuber :p

3. RBEmerson

4K transcoding is one of the blessings of having fast connections thanks to our phone/tv/wireless supplier's conversion to fiber. Woohoo!

4. Mick D.

Mick D. New Member

v1.31 will not load. I'm stuck on 1.30. Another problem is that the "TIME STAMP" will not shut down. I can't turn it off. Any suggestions?

5. RBEmerson

How are you trying to load 1.3.1? Copy the .ch and .bin files onto an SD, put the SD in the SJ8, power it up, and the firmware should load. Loading firmware will do a full reset; the timestamp issue should be resolved with installing 1.3.1 or re-installing 1.3.0

6. Monkey

Monkey New Member

Home Page:
    Is the MOD4.2 still the best firmware for SJ8 Pro? In some videos or pics I think it is over sharpened.

7. RBEmerson

Best? It depends on what you want to do. MOD4.2 will definitely give very high resolution 1080 video. However it doesn't support all of functions supported by 1.3.1. At least for me, being locked into "vivid" is annoying because the color is over-saturated.

It's easy to change firmware. Try them both and go with what works best for you.