SJ8 pro 1.3.1 Firmware

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Luisfreire.eu, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Thanks for the link. How do I install the custom firmware ? Is it the same way as how we would install SJCAM's official firmware, by downloading the files to the micro SD card and inserting it into the cam and then turning it ON ? I'm on the official V 1.3 firmware now.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Copy the .ch and .bin files to the base level (not in a folder) of an SD. Power up the SJ8 and let the magic happen.

TINSTAAFL - There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - the SJ8 will run hotter (more processing at higher bit rates), consume more power (more processing etc.), and, surprise, surprise use SD space faster.

Stani John likes this.
  3. Stani John

Stani John New Member

That is true, still any day much better to use 1080p over 4k.

4. RBEmerson

My point is only to say "don't be surprised if the following happens." TINSTAAFL. [/grin]

Stani John likes this.
  5. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Alright will keep it in mind. How do you personally like Mod 4.2 out of the box ? Do we have to adjust any settings to make it look dynamic and colorful ?

6. RBEmerson

IIRC 4.2 is locked in Vivid, which I don't care for. Other than that, it seemed to be well behaved shooting 1080@60 fps with gyro on.

Stani John likes this.
  7. RBEmerson

I did some experimentation with different image qualities and frame rates.

Don't bother with anything but "fine". Standard and, I assume, economy are not supported. The bit rate drops to 9.999 Mb/s according to MediaInfo tool.

I tried 1080 at 30 fps, fine. In a simple pan of my office, the camera seemed to be working as it should. I won't know for sure until I take the camera on the road. I'm hoping that 1080 @30 fps will give good imagery, draw slightly less power than 60 fps, and give more room to store imagery before having to change the SD. I'll know more after I try the camera in my car.

8. Stani John

Stani John New Member

I'm actually a bit disappointed with the SJ8 Pro. I was just comparing the video quality of SJ8 with my SJ7 , I did the recording in 1080P @ 60 FPS, H.264, Gyro ON. The SJ7 was on latest V 1.22 FW and the SJ8 was on Mod 4.2 FW. The details and dynamic range and clarity of the SJ8 is almost similar to the SJ7 at these settings.

Only difference is the SJ8 has a wider FOV and the SJ7 is more zoomed in.

How did you find the Mbps bitrate ? When I checked through file properties my SJ8 video clip is just showing 12 Mbps bit rate while the SJ7 file is showing 33 Mbps.

Also i checked files in SJ8 in both V1.3.1 and the Mod 4.2, total bitrate is same 12 Mbps for both.

9. RBEmerson

MediaInfo download page

I checked the SJ7 video at some point. The bitrate is good, but not impressive. Nonetheless, I generally prefer it to the SJ8. Too bad I sold my SJ7.

With MOD4.2, try 1080@60 fps. You should get 60 Mb/s. Working with slower frame/second rates seemed to be a little odd. I was able to get 50 Mb/s, but I can't recall the settings. I'll try shooting, shortly, at 30 and 24 fps.

I tried standard instead of fine - bad idea. Very bad idea. Forget it. I think Kaliningrad said he supported only fine.

This video uses MOD4.1:

This video is transcoded to 4K to limit damage from YT compression

The only stock SJ8 video I've put on YT is a comparison with the Sony FDR-X3000 (46 Mb/s). The SJ8 video is 36 Mb/s

For laughs and grins, this is some SJ7 video:

Stani John likes this.
  10. Stani John

Stani John New Member

I have seen all your videos. It's pretty good after the mod. I realized why the quality was not that good for me even after mod 4.2. It's because the higher bit rates only work at lower frame rates like 25 FPS and 30 FPS. It is still 12 Mbps at 60 FPS even in Mod 4.2

I had some spare time so I checked out bit rates at all resolutions in 1080P in version 1.3 , 1.3.1 and Mod 4.2. The results are as below.

All recording were done with video quality set to Fine.

1 ) V1.3
    --------------
    1080P @ 60 FPS - 18 Mbps
    1080P @ 120 FPS - 35 Mbps

In every other frame rate in 1080P as well as 1080P Ultra the bit rate is just 12 Mbps

2) Mod 4.2
    ----------------
    1080P @ 25 FPS - 60 Mbps
    1080P @ 30 FPS - 60 Mbps

In every other frame rate in 1080P as well as 1080P Ultra the bit rate is just 12 Mbps

3) V 1.3.1
    ---------------
    1080P @ 24 FPS - 25 Mbps
    1080P @ 25 FPS - 29 Mbps
    1080P @ 30 FPS - 30 Mbps
    1080P @ 50 FPS - 12 Mbps
    1080P @ 60 FPS - 35 Mbps
    1080P @ 120 FPS - 75 Mbps

4) SJ7 V1.22

1080P @ 30 FPS - 25 Mbps
    1080P @ 60 FPS - 33 Mbps
    1080P @ 30 FPS SV - 26 Mbps
    1080P @ 60 FPS SV - 35 Mbps
    1080P @ 120 FPS SV - 66 Mbps

Is there any 3rd party FW that gives 60 Mbps bit rate @ 60 FPS 1080P ? Because I like shooting at 60 FPS.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  11. RBEmerson

Please see my demo video, showing bitrates for 60, 30, and 24 FPS. Bitrates are 59, 44, and 12 Mb/s respectively.

I suspect that 24 FPS is unsupported in MOD4.2

I started the camera at 1410 this afternoon and let it run until the 128 SD filled at 2003. That's 5h 52m minutes of videoing. To be precise, that's how long the camera ran. The run was interrupted with a "SD too slow" message. I think there was only about a five minute loss of "filming".

Looking at the files with MediaInfo, the bitrates range from as low as 22 Mb/s to 60 Mb/s. I have no explanation for why they vary so much. For not quite three hours, the camera was looking through my car's windscreen. Some of the low rate imagery is from driving, as are the faster files. That is, they show about the same material. Stranger, the image quality on the low bitrate files in comparable with the "faster" files. Time to have a chat with Kaliningrad...

12. RBEmerson

Much to my surprise, YT processed the video to the point where it can be viewed in 4K. I transcode up to 4K to avoid the worst of compression artifacts. The quality doesn't match the original video, but it's close. On YT the 24 FPS segment is as poor as it is on the original footage.

13. Stani John

Stani John New Member

How come both of us are getting different results ? Are you using H 264 or H .265 encoding ? also does frequency setting 50/60 Hz matter ?

14. RBEmerson

H.264

I doubt the 50/60 Hz setting matters.

As to the wide range of bit rates, I am totally baffled by the results I have from yesterday's "fill the SD" run. I'm trying to reach Kaliningrad, hoping he has an explanation for the results. FWIW, 60 FPS has, for me, remained consistent at 60 Mb/s. It's the 30 FPS result that I don't understand.

15. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Ok I reinstalled Mod 4.2 today and I am getting 60 Mbps @ 60 FPS just like you. I'm content now. Will try to shoot some videos on my bike.

16. RBEmerson

Based on the results with the car, the gyro function works well.

I'd shoot 1080p @ 60fps but even a 128G SD runs out of room in a hurry. With the SJ7 and Sony FDR-X3000 I can basically dashcam and edit later. Anticipating a surprise, and have the camera started at the right time, is IMNSHO oxymoronic.

17. RBEmerson

V-Max in the MOD forum area says bitrates vary about .75 to 1.25 time the base rate. In other words, same resolution,video quality, and frame rate do not give a constant bitrate. I have, of course, asked why that happens.

18. Stani John

Stani John New Member

I did a video quality comparison between the SJ8 Mod 4.2 vs SJ7 V1.22 and I also compared the video quality of Mod 4.2 vs V1.3 vs V1.3.1

I think V1.3.1 is not that bad, it's just not as vivid as Mod 4.2 in colors.

Check my video after 2:52, that's when the comparison starts.

19. RBEmerson

Nice video! (One small detail - in the US that shirt, with the black and grey stripes, and the brick background looks like you're reporting from the local jail - honest)

On to what matters. If possible, I'd transcode your edited video up to 4K and re-post. That should keep more of the fine detail needed to see the difference between the different cameras and firmware revs.

IMHO MOD4.2's colors are much too saturated. Some of my test videos shot on a cloudy day with a few small patches of blue wind up looking like a bright sunny day. I'm surprised the SJ7 color came out as dull as it is in your video - see my sample from the Alps for comparison. Also, a good video editor will allow boosting color saturation.

1.3.1's 36 Mb/s is certainly a move in the right direction, but side by side comparison of original footage from 1.3.1 and MOD4.2 shows that 36 Mb/s shows some significant processing problems associated with lower bit rates.

Overall, your video is very helpful - well done!

And good luck with getting out of jail soon. LOL

Stani John likes this.
  20. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Actually I'm using Power Director 17 to edit my video's. In one 1080P Drone footage, while I transcoded to 4K and uploaded to YT, it actually made things much worse. I then reverted back to normal 1080P MPEG2 conversion before uploading. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

But don't you think transcoding to 4K defeats the purpose of us working with 1080P in the first place ? Because, it takes a lot more time to upload from my place too and I have very limited Internet data as well.

Actually I'm still learning how to use the editor so I'm not sure how to do the color grading or saturation adjustment and leave everything as it is.

I didn't see much artifacts or issues in 1.3.1, maybe if I knew how to upload properly in 4k, that difference would not have been seen to you.

Finally, I kind of prefer the jail life, it's more peaceful to shoot more videos for YT. LOL.