SJ8 pro 1.3.1 Firmware

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Luisfreire.eu, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Luisfreire.eu

Luisfreire.eu New Member

Hello, i created a ticket on sjcam site asking for the 1.3.1 firmware for sj8 pro, because the models that are imported are bringing the new 1.3.1 firmware. I was not hopping that they would send me, but they actualy did.

Link download in youtube description

Please send a feedback Regards
    Video comparing 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 and download firmware

2. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    Did you experience any differnce to 1.3.0?

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Stipulated the SJ8 can take pretty videos when just waving the camera around. No debate about that. OK, there are some things that are open to discussion, but what product doesn't have them. No hurt, no foul. What does matter with a camera is the image. Again, hand panning and tilting with the camera is all well and good. Put it into the domain where it's used as an action cam, and the camera, IMNSHO, falls on its face. I tested 1.3.1 at 1080 @ 60 fps because that's what I prefer to shoot motorcycle and car video with. It gives up some resolution (vs. 4K) but allows going longer between changing SD's. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

1.2.n came up with 25 Mb/s. !.3.1 has a 36 Mb/s bit rate, The results are still blocky color, processing artifacts, and, in general, mediocre video. There simply isn't enough data being presented as an image. If the data's not there, it can't be magicked into existence later,

By comparison, running Kaliningrad's firmware mods, 1080 @ 60 fps now has a bitrate of 59-60 Mb/s. Compared to 36 Mb/s, the difference is obvious. The modded firmware lacks some functionality but what's there is quite enough to produce superb imagery for the stated resolution. (4K @ 30 fps has about 120 Mb/s bitrate)

Until SJCam stops playing around with rates that might have been astonishing 5-7 years ago, and come up to date... why bother? All the swell menu features, etc. are a waste of time if the results are indifferent at best.

I know I sound like a troll, take my comments as you will. I stand by my assessment.

ADDED: If there is a way to raise the 1080@60 fps fine mode bitrate in 1.3.1, I'll be quite happy to see how it's done and to test it with my camera.

4. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    Still no information what has changed from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1...

5. Tiberiu Malcea

Tiberiu Malcea New Member

Engineer, IT Network Professional
    Hi Guys!

It seems that power button loop through modes is broken. It gets to Live, and stays there, no return to Video etc... It's practically unusable underwater.

Can you do something about this?

Thanks!

6. RBEmerson

You can try totally resetting the camera (reloading 1.3.1 will do it), revert to 1.3.0, or wait for 1.3.2 to fix the problem. Two out of three may help you. Or not. :)

Tiberiu Malcea likes this.
  7. Tiberiu Malcea

Appreciate, will revert to 1.3.0 if no 1.3.2 firmware or some beta will be available during next week. Unfortunately I found about the above in the hard way ... underwater. Next trip this month will catch me prepared! :)

8. RBEmerson

1.3.2 in a week is extremely unlikely. Plan on trying 1.3.0 or earlier until the function works. However, first try reloading 1.3.1. Reloading replaces the existing firmware image. "Same over same" doesn't somehow keep parts of the existing image. The standard "know before you go" message applies to taking anything complex on a trip.If it isn't tested, the odds for surprise can at least be reduced by testing before a trip.

Tiberiu Malcea likes this.
  9. Tiberiu Malcea

Totally agree!

10. György Hunyadi-Buzás

György Hunyadi-Buzás New Member

Hi All,
    where can I download the 1.3.1 firmware for the SJ8 pro from? I can't find it on the SJCAM website.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

11. RBEmerson

It's silly that SJCam puts an update together but doesn't post it on its website. I got mine from an Internet contact (wish I could remember who) who said "try this...".Without an update log (we added x,y,z, we changed a,b,c), it's hard to know what 1.3.1 even does that 1.3.0 doesn't.

12. RikW

RikW New Member

Hello all, new to the community.

Here's something different from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1. You can now customize the Wi-Fi SSID to your liking and create your own password. The setting is found when you scroll to the very bottom of the settings menu - heading: Set WiFi Info. Some may find this useful, some may not, just thought I'd mention it.

Great community, thanks again, Troy!

13. RBEmerson

How did you find this information? Did you explore the menus or did you get a message? Also, where did you get your 1.3.1?

[rant mode=on]Why SJCam didn't support changing the WiFi SSID and password earlier is a minor question, but worth asking. I see the value. But... this is re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Tweaking WiFi is nice, but if 1080 is still giving only 35 Mb/s, why bother? Tweaked WiFi doesn't fix imagery marred by the low bitrate. 4K is pretty but can cook the camera and battery. As happened to me this afternoon.[rant mode=off]

14. RikW

RikW New Member

The link to download the 1.3.1 firmware is in the first post. Play the video, then click on the YouTube icon. This brings the video over to YouTube where you can view the video description. Click 'Show More' to reveal the download link, it's the first link. The file is stored on Google Drive, click to download.

Forgot to add; the 'Set WiFi Info' setting appears when your smartphone and SJ8 Pro are paired via the SJCAM app. Tap the settings icon (slider switches) and scroll to the bottom of the settings page. I just happened to notice the new setting. I prefer to adjust settings in this manner because I find the user interface in SJCAM and Classic modes to be overly touch-sensitive or sometimes doesn't recognize touch input at all.

I ditched my GoPro Hero 7 Black for constant overheating and shutdown issues after only five minutes of operation while running 4K/60fps or 4K/30fps. Ran my SJ8 Pro today at 4K/30fps for forty minutes! While it did get hot, it never shut down. Add to the fact outdoor temperatures were a balmy 32 C, (89.6 F).

Side note: I could not find a way to try Kaliningrad's 4.3 f/w mod. Decided to try 1.3.1 instead. How do you view bitrates? I saw a bitrate calculator/editor of sorts in another thread, (might have been GoPrawn) but was unable to download.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  15. RBEmerson

Seems weird to have to drill down through a YT video to get the new SJ8 firmware. Sigh...

MOD4.2 and MOD4.3 aren't in general release. Sorry.

RikW likes this.
  16. RikW

RikW New Member

Thanks for the info on the f/w mods

17. RBEmerson

These mods do good things, but they're incomplete in some places, 4.3 in particular.

What's released is Kaliningrad's choice.

18. Stani John

Stani John New Member

A hacker releases firmware with bitrates much higher than what SJCAM official firmware does, even after more than a year of it's release is a shame. I finally purchased my SJ8Pro hoping that by now SJCAM would have fixed the bitrate issue in 1080P, but they haven't. Guess I'm going to risk bricking and take RBEmerson's route of custom firmware.

19. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Can you please suggest me which firmware is stable. All I need is to take good video at 1080p/ 60FPS with gyro on. What functionalities would I miss in the firmware you recommend ?

20. RBEmerson

Stani John likes this.