SJ8 plus issue with 720/240

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by kamkar, Jan 31, 2019.

1. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Been messing with my friends camera, and there are a strange issue with 720 / 240 recordings.

You can record them just fine, and you can playback them just fine, but on my friends computer using pinnacle studio 20 ultimate loading one such file up lock up his software.
    Doing the same on my PC just with pinnacle studio 22 ultimate my software don't lock up but i will have to close it, then open task manager as suddenly not everything in pinnacle shut down, but then i can restart the program again and have it working.

My friend he have to reboot his entire PC for his pinnacle to work again.

Recording the same 720/240 on my SJ7 star camera are no problem for mine or my friends computer / software.
    So i have concluded there must be something with the SJ8 plus and that resolution / FPS.
    All other resolutions ASO i have tested seem to be working just fine, so have told my friend to stay away from 720/240 for now.

Funny though, the files play fine, just pinnacle studio don't like them, not least longer recordings, if you just record a minute or less then most often can be handled by pinnacle studio, but longer recordings do something to the software after a minute or two of it processing it ( before making any editing to the raw footage )

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Did you compare bitrates? Possibly the friends computer has not enough power to handle these files. Or lacks free space on HDD. Or something else (has slow hard disc, disc is fragmented, missing OS updates, etc).

3. kamkar

kamkar Elite

We are both on new computers, he have a 6 / 12 core AMD Ryzen, and i have a 12 / 24 core Threadripper, out GFX cards are the same ( Nvidia 1060 )

We both have A Samsung Nvme disk ( 970 EVO - 500 GB for C: drive, with just OS and Pinnacle installed, pinnacle offload on spinning disk ) and at least 4 TB of free HDD space on a single spinning disk, and we both have 16 Gb ram, his are just what the CPU need, i have 3600 MHZ ram ( running at that speed ) and a CPU i run at 4 GHZ ( loaded and testes 100 % stable )
    My friends computer don't have any OC, i have build computers and done OC since a 700 MHZ CPU was like OMG who need that much compute power, so i know what i am doing there.

Both PC are setup by me within the past 2 months, everything are updated, K-lite codec pack ASO installed, both OS win 10 biggest version fully updated.

It is the same 720 / 240 FPS recordings from the SJ8 i have tried on both computers.

So overall the only different aside for the hardware i have mentioned are my friend have pinnacle studio 20 ultimate, i have 22 ultimate, both according to specs should be able to handle what the SJ8 plus can spit out ( 4K / H.265 / H.264 )
    And then i have OC on my hardware my friend don't, and i have my computer water-cooled, my friend use air cooling
    He have several games installed on his 4 Tb spinning disk, i just have one Game running off a 256 Gb regular SSD
    And i use firefox and he use Chrome for browsers.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019