SJ8 custom wifi remote control

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by tomzghr, Aug 18, 2019.

1. tomzghr

tomzghr New Member

Hello,

Is i possible to control camera by http request?

I discovered that SJ4000 has this option:
    PHOTO_MODE = "/?custom=1&cmd=3001&par=0";
    VIDEO_MODE = "/?custom=1&cmd=3001&par=1";
    CAPTURE_PHOTO = "/?custom=1&cmd=1001";
    START_RECORDING = "/?custom=1&cmd=2001&par=1";
    STOP_RECORDING = "/?custom=1&cmd=2001&par=0";

Can the same be created for SJ8?

2. tomzghr

tomzghr New Member

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

4. tomzghr

tomzghr New Member

I want to be able to remotely trigger the shooter while camera is on a drone 400 meters away.
    I don't think remote control watch can do that :)

Actually if someone could capture how remote control watch communicates with camera that would be great. So I can reproduce it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Are you sure, that the camera's WiFi adapter has ability to work at 400m range? So powerful WiFi transmitters are not usual even in home WiFi routers.
    I proposed for you the remote to confirm, that basically it is possible to remotely trigger the camera and it should be possible to build a home made copy of the remote (even more powerful). You did not specify the conditions in your initial message. I doubt, that without altering the camera itself, it is possible to achieve WiFi connection with the camera at 400 m range. I think, that it is much easier to add a remotely triggered servo to the shutter button.

6. tomzghr

tomzghr New Member

I have Arduino wifi controller board that I can access to from much greater distance. Same board will be connected to camera over 2.4 ghz.
    Then I plan to control it remotely. First send request to Arduino then control board will send it to camera.

7. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Camera's wifi adapter is possibly not so powerful as your Arduino. You may test your camera's WiFi signal spreading distance by starting camera's WiFi and checking, at what distance your Arduino even can hear the SSID signal. I did a quick test with my SJ8Plus and found that the limit is ca 100 m (multiple WiFi routers are working in the neighbourhood, that could reduce the distance somewhat). Simple hearing the SSID could be not enough for keeping up decent connection and transmitting data.
    WiFi connection can't work unidirectionally (if only one transmitter is powerful, it can't only transmit all the time - if transmitter does not hear responses from the receiver, connection would fail).

8. tomzghr

tomzghr New Member

Arduino wifi transmitter/receiver wil be placed just few cm from camera on a drone. I will send commands from another arduino remote controller or maybe just from smartphone to arduino on drone.

9. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

So you plan something completely different from the solution from your video? There the custom remote is connected with the camera over wifi.
    If you plan to link 2 Arduinos, then it should be relatively easy to do custom remote from the original remote by modifying its buttons so, that your Arduino with a receiver will switch remote's controls. The remote can then fly together with the camera and your Arduino WiFi transmitter/receiver, no need for longer working distance between the remote and the camera.

10. tomzghr

tomzghr New Member

You are right but I wouldn't get any feedback from camera.

I want to know:

- if camera shooter was triggered successfully?
    - is camera still working?
    - is remote controller connected to camera?

Using Arduino just as button switch for SJCAM remote controller I wouldn't know all that.

11. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If you still want, that the camera shouted that info over WiFi to you more than 400m away, then the camera's WiFi adapter must be very powerful.

You can see, if the camera works, if you use FPView mode and transmitter for video stream.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  12. tomzghr

tomzghr New Member

There are lots of options to manage that. Arduino has WiFi module that can work as repeater and there are many other options that can be used to accomplish long distance communication. Repeater will be placed on a drone and it will transmit camera's WiFi to other module on my custom remote.

This is just a thought a rough idea at the moment, we will see how will I make it at the end.
    First thing I need to know are commands to trigger them on camera over WiFi.