SJ7 Star Resolutions List and Available Options

Discussion in 'CAMERA Models' FAQ' started by Troy, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Currently none, @Damian Holt. The others didn't need this list because the resolutions list isn't as long as the Star's.
    This is just to show the running features that were functioning at the time of the early phases (they were still rolling out features as they are tested).

Sanjay Kumar V likes this.
  2. Allan

Allan New Member

Hi can anyone explain to me why FOV is unavailable for most of the 1080P resolutions ?

The chart (in my opinion) doesnt have much logic behind it. I mean Why disable SOME of the features for SOME of the resolutions.
    I understand not having EIS for the higher resolutions as this would require some more processing. But why is this option only available in 2 1080P resolutions

Why is FOV available for 1080P 120fps 16:9 but not the rest of the 1080P options?

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

The fully reasoned, scientific answer to your question is "that's just the way it is" .

There are some good reasons for the limited gyro options, for example. There's no easy way to have a full 2160 x 3840 image and stabilize it electronically in the SJ7. There's no surplus image, sticking off the edges, to slide the image around to keep the image centered in the viewing port (the part of the image you see). Coarser resolutions have "spare pixels" to work with. The overall image stays centered in the port - when the motion is up and down. Left to right is basically left alone to cope with looking or panning left and right (done more often than tilting).

120 fps hammers the video processor (Ambarella chip), so dropping features is recognizes a compromise is needed. Run the processor too fast and it heats up... a lot. Reduce the workload and things don't get so hot.

Back to your question, some of the problem you're asking about is driven by implementation compromises. And some, IMNSHO, are just plain "now why would you do that" choices made by the firmware people.