SJ7 STAR Recommended Memory Cards

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by sjcam_admin, Jun 21, 2017.

1. TomBaum

TomBaum New Member

Since I upgraded to 1.20 the files are now only 480MB in size instead of 4GB.
    I was recording at 1080 30 FPS.
    Has your file sizes changed?

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

That's not really a problem, just an annoyance. When you updated the firmware, the camera was reset, putting all settings back to their default values. Change the loop option to off and you'll be back to 4Gb files.

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. TomBaum

TomBaum New Member

Thanks for the help. First action camera so learning about the options it has. Should probably make a checklist so next time I upgrade the firmware I reset my options to what I previously had.

4. RBEmerson

You should definitely have a check list for settings.

5. John Martinez

John Martinez New Member

A new purchase for me, I am using a 200 gig sandisk ultra with no issues as of yet.

6. RBEmerson

Wow! That's big - are you planning on shooting a lot of 4K video?

7. John Martinez

John Martinez New Member

It just happened to be what I had on hand, I got a great deal on it some time back and it was just sitting around.

8. RBEmerson

Lucky you! [/grin]

9. Ted

Ted New Member

I just upgraded from the SJ5000 to the SJ7 Star, shooting in 1080 (60fps) the camera would beep and stop recording . Sometimes it would do this after 10 minuets other times after just a few minutes. I am using the San Disk Ultra 32gb class 10 HC1 (what I used in the SJ5000), is this my problem ?? Thanks.

10. Gary

Gary New Member

NA
    Hi all - I have just bought two SJ7 STARS. Only wanted one but life is strange sometimes. Anyhoo, Both of them have the same issue. "Slow card speed" at 4k and the camera locks up. I have to remove the battery to turn it off. Seems to work ok in 1080. I know my old cards are knock offs so I bought a new Sandisk extreme Pro 64 gig card. Both cameras are still reporting the speed problem? Please someone advise what might be going on?? I just checked on the SJCAM site and both camera's are genuine products. The card and the packaging it came in looks genuine. The price certainly was. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  11. kamkar

kamkar Elite

What firmwares are the cameras on ?

I have never seen that card speed warning myself, i normally use my Trancend Ultimate U3 card, but i have also used the trancend X400 with no issued in my SJ7 star.
    And as i recall the Toshiba Exceria U3 card ( slow U3 card ) have also been sucessfull in the SJ7 Star.

Calculating backwards from a given file the card speed requirement of the Sj7 dont seem over the top, i think thats more of a issue with the cameras that can do blistering high bitrates.
    To confirm this the Sj7 are now recording with a trancend X400 in it ( 4K highest bitrate ) will also put in the Toshiba a little later just to be sure my flaky memory dont play tricks on me.

Have you tested the memory card ? just to see if it is what it claim to me ( sandisk see a lot of fakes )

H2testw are a nifty little free program to use on a memory card in a card reader ( you cant test using the camera as mass storage devise at that can not tell the max speeds of the card at least, cuz most cameras in mass storage mode are really slow )

if i plug my Sj7 into the computer i only see 15 MB/s transfer speeds, if i put the card in my card reader i get the full 90 MB/s that my Trancend ultimate are listed as

Gary likes this.
  12. Ted

Ted New Member

I was getting the "Slow Card" message when I switched resolution to 1080 (120 fps). I installed the newest firmware before I started using the cameras. The screen was off during recordings when it stopped so I do not know if it was displaying the message at that time. I think I will try a one of the recommended cards and see if it makes a difference.

Gary likes this.
  13. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Just make sure to get the card from a reputable seller, i had quite a few brand go sour on me even top class cards and some really fast, but as i have shopped local B&M store or via one of the EU amazons ( fulfilled by amazon ) there have been no problem getting a new card fast.
    Often Amazon have a new card in my hand here in Denmark before i get to send the old one out, and though i am no longer a spring chick i am not that slow yet.

The Toshiba exceria ( U3 ) are now recording 1080/120 now, its the cheapest 128 GB cards here in Denmark at the time i got them, but they are "slow" U4 cards with just a 40 MB/s write speed, but that's well within what the Sj7 output as far as i can see from my recordings ( 3 minute recording = xxx MB large divided with 180 seconds = xx MB second output by camera )

EDIT: this 128 Gb Toshiba (U3) card do fail 1080/120 recording, but no warning about card speed on LCD, i have switched to the 32Gb Trancend X400 and it seem to be happy at this RES/FPS it have been going for a minute now where the Toshiba failed fast.

I am not sure if its a size thing or resolution, will try the Toshiba at 4K in a while.
    The trancend U3 Ultimate i am sure work at 1080/120 as i have often recorded that with it.
    I can not test my U3 Kingston card as it is in service / testing in a dashcam at the moment, but it have same specs as the Trancend ultimate card 90/90 MB/s write read speeds.

Ted and Gary like this.
  14. Gary

Gary New Member

NA
    Thanks for your advice kamkar. It looks to be the card which I thought I had bought from a reputable dealer. I have tested it extensively on both mine and a friends computer and the max speed we could register was 6 mbs - no wonder it isn't working. I have contacted the supplier for an explanation. I will try one of the cards you mention. Thanks

Attached Files:

15. Sérgio Rodrigues

Sérgio Rodrigues New Member

Anyone buy and test Sandisk ultra micro SD 64GB from GearBest!?

16. kamkar

kamkar Elite

My Trancend ultinate U3 ( gold and black colored ) have always been working perfect in the SJ7.
    It is a 64 Gb i am using, i think a 32 Gb are also fine for most action cameras use, cuz the camera will run out of battery way before the memory card get full.
    [​IMG]
    it have a lifetime warranty and it are also rated for dashcam use which few memory cards are due to the constant load

Ted likes this.
  17. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
  18. Ted

Ted New Member

19. Ted

Ted New Member

The SanDisk Extreme Pro 64gb V30 card arrived and it works great. The camera did not shut off, I did a full 19 minuets of continuous recording at 1080 60fps. I also did a minute at 1080 120fps with no problem, no slow card message.

kamkar likes this.
  20. mcnuggets

mcnuggets New Member

hi all, just got my SJ7 today. while waiting for my SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB to arrive from Amazon, i did some light testing with my 3 y.o. SanDisk Extreme 64GB. shot some short clips in 2K & 4K, didn't experience any lags / slow card messages. hope this helps.