SJ7 Star RAW File Creator

Discussion in 'RAW File Management' started by Jason, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator

TESTING THE NEW RAW FILE CREATOR PROCEDURE FOR THE SJ7 STAR

I've been playing with the script to get raw image out of the SJ7 and the process to convet the raw file to a .DNG

Unpacked and installed the autoexec.ash file onto the SD card.
    Unpacked raw2dng tool
    Unpacked raw2nef.ini file and replaced the default file in raw2dng with this file
    Unpacked and installed the autoexec.ash file onto the SD card.
    Unpacked raw2dng tool
    Unpacked raw2nef.ini file and replaced the default file in raw2dng with this file

Turned the camera on - the screen came on, then went black, then on again
    Shutdown camera and put SD card in the PC and copied to the HD
    Drag and dropped the .RAWf to the raw2dng tool
    Drag and droped the resulting .DNG file onto the fiz-dng-Yi-Z26L.bat file (noticed a change in the file date when I performed this operation) - If I done this from a different directory then the tool wouldn't work. Once I copied the batch file and exiftool to the same directory as the .dng files then the tool worked.

I then opened this modified .DNG file in a number of applications listed below.

Darktable (linux) - thumbnail image appeared in the light table but when selected to edit the program popped up a "failed to read camera white balance information from 'StillRawCap_0001.dng'!" error message, could not process the file any further
    Gimp using gimp-ufraw (linux) - able to open the file and modify raw parameters
    Gimp using gimp-dcraw (linux) able to open and edit
    Rawtherapee (linux) - opened OF and able to edit
    Lightworks (linux) - able to open and use the image.

Helicon Filter using Adobe RAW/DNG Convertor - Opened no errors
    Helicon Filter using DCRaw - Opened no errors
    Helicon Filter using Embedded RAW converter - opened no errors
    Helicon Filter using Raw-in-DNG-out converter - opened no errors
    ufraw (windows) - opened and editable OK
    Rawtherapee (windows) - opened and editable
    Lightworks (windows) - able to open and use the image.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2017
    sjcam_admin likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Moderator

To be able I've worked out how to open the DNGs in Darktable - you have to rune the Adobe DNG Converter first and the resulting DNG opens up fine.

So you can turn a rather flat looking image with washed out sky before.jpg

into something a but more dramatic
    after.jpg

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. mi6t0

mi6t0 New Member

Just updated to v 1.20 of the firmware

I had the same flickering experience as Jason did. What I also noticed is that the shutter button had almost no role - the picture seems to be taken while the screen is flickering.
    Is this kind of color reproduction normal? The regular jpeg seems to be fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbpi6gtcso3pbgr/StillRawCap_0001.dng?dl=0

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

This was really a test to see if the tools for converting the raw output of the camera to DNG files work. It uses a hack which bypasses the cameras controls to take a single dump of the sensor to try out the tools.

The filcker is the hack taking control, capturing the sensor data and saving it to the card and is normal. As it bypasses the controls the shutter button won't take any further raw images. Once it's shown to be working fully ( I haven't tested it with 1.20 firmware yet) and incorporated into the firmware it should work just like taking a jpeg photo - although it will take al ot more time to write to the card as there is a lot more information captured.

The DNG isn't a final image - DNG stands for Digital Negative - and needs to be "developed" into a final picture. The raw image holds a lot more information than a jpeg and a lot can be done post-processing wise. The jpeg is made by applying a standard set of processes (contrast, saturation, brightness, white balance, etc) to the sensor data then compressing the final image.

Depending on the software used to develop the image you can have a lot more control over the final result and make a lot of changes that the jpeg can't handle.

A quick develop using Darktable
    FORUM StillRawCap_0001.jpg

Original unprocessed image from the DNG file FORUM StillRawCap_0001_01.jpg

Troy likes this.
  5. mi6t0

mi6t0 New Member

Thank you so much, Jason! Your quick guide helps me a lot.

I know my question was a noob one. So far I've only edited RAW images from my old Sony Nex camera, and they all had quite a similar look to the original jpeg files, and that's where my confusion came. And, they weren't DNGs, of course.

I also managed to get good adjustment results via software, quite similar to yours, but still much worse than what the same jpeg was produced by the camera.

Looks like you are part of the development around RAW implementation. Are RAW images going to be saved with the color modes used by the camera as it processes the original jpegs? Or you plan to keep them as they are now?

6. Jason

Jason Moderator

I'm just a regular SJ7 star user like yourself.

I do hope that there will be a photo format option of raw+jpeg in the firmware soon.

The colour profiles are ways of processing the raw data into a jpeg and don't apply to raw files. The raw files contain a lot more information than the jpeg so can handle alot more post processing. if you look at the sky in the town scene you can see how a jpeg can make it look flat but the raw allows more details to be pulled.

I didn't spend too long on these but with practice raw development can get far better results than jpeg.

Search on YouTube for harry durgin - he uses Darktable but you should get the just of what can be done.

Troy likes this.
  7. danny36

danny36 New Member

Hi,

how can I torn SJ7 to show raw file?

8. Jason

Jason Moderator

At the moment the SJ7 doesn't have an option to take raw formats. In this thread https://sjcam.com/community/threads/anyone-willing-to-test-out-the-sj7-star-raw-procedure.2131/ Troy saked if there was anyone willing to test the procedure to convert raw files to DNG images.

This uses an autoexec script to take one raw photo as the camera is turned on (without pressing the shutter button) overwriting the previous raw file.

The purpose of this was to check that the tools to convert the sensor data into a DNG file that could be used in raw developer software worked - when the Sj5000x Elite first got raw capabilities there weren't any tools to do that and we were left with raw files we couldn't do anything with until the current raw2dng tool came along.

As the SJ7 uses a different processor than the SJ5000x Elite, M20 and SJ6 I guess that SJCAM want to make sure the tools work before they put the feature into the firmware so they don't get an angry backlash again.

Troy likes this.
  9. danny36

danny36 New Member

ok jason I understand and I hope that sjcam put this feature in next firmware release.

10. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Update to the last message in the thread: RAW option now added in the the latest firmware, version 1.21.
    Look for the update in the SJ7 firmware thread.

11. MauriceWhite

MauriceWhite New Member

Wich raw2dng can we use? The same for SJ500x, M20 & SJ6 ?

12. Adam Bialas

Adam Bialas New Member

13. MauriceWhite

MauriceWhite New Member

Thank you Adam! I'll give a try !

14. danny36

danny36 New Member

Thank you Adam but How can turn on the raw settings on SJ7?