SJ7 Star not recognising cards, no wifi

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by blinkinink, Apr 10, 2018.

1. blinkinink

blinkinink New Member

Hi All,

I've been pursuing a service ticket with SJCAM directly for my faulty SJ7.
    but i thought i would post here, just in case any one has any tips or tricks.

The long and short of it is:
    camera does not recognise an SD Card. I'm used 2 different Sandisk card 16gb and 64gb, both formatted to FAT32 using Windows 10. Both cards work fine in other devices and can be read and written to by the pc.

The other issue then is that the WIFI does not work. It shows as on, with the WIFI symbol visible and the green flashing LED on the front. But the SSID does not show on any device, and I cannot therefore connect to it.

To try and fix this, i have done pretty much everything I can find information on.
    It was running v1.20 of the firmware, so I updated to v1.21 via Direct USB (after initially having issues with a poor cable).
    I thought this would solve it, but sadly not.

So then it was suggested that I downgrade the firmware to v1.15 (which SJCAM support sent me directly).
    The issue is that this does not successfully flash to the device via DirectUSB.
    If i leave the "Verify" option on it fails, and if i untick it, the process completes and says successful in DirectUSB, but does not actually flash the firmware. It just stays at v1.21.

It's possible that the downgrade might fix the issues with the WIFI and the card, but i cannot get it to work.
    I imagine it might be something to do with the fact that the older firmwares are .BIN files rather than .ELF?
    Or i might be barking up the wrong tree.

Any help would be appreciated at this point, as i cannot send it back to the local retailer, and the only other option is sending it back to China direct for them to repair at cost apparently.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Bummer...

1.20 should work for you. That is, WiFi and SD's should work. If you could get 1.15 installed, it'd be interesting to see if anything changes. I think that 1.15 won't make any difference.

If you have a WiFi sniffer app, you can look for a "silent" SSID but I've never seen or heard of an SJ7 with a silent SSID.

If you plug your SJ7 into a PC/Mac, can you find the SJ7 in your files browser? Format an SD with some obvious volume name and stuff it into the SJ7. Does the SD show up in your file browser?

3. blinkinink

blinkinink New Member

Sadly, no luck.

No missing WIFI, or silent Wifi being broadcast.
    I cannot install anything other than a .elf file, which means i'm stuck on 1.20 or 1.21.
    neither of which make any difference.

I plugged camera into pc, and although the PC makes a sound recognising it's plugged in as USB storage, it does not show it.
    If i go to Disk Management, i can see a device, but it states no volume and i have no actions available to reformat. I can only relabel it.

Weirdly, despite definitely having the correct drivers, this "device/disk" which is hidden on Windows, shows as an A9 device, not an A12, but i know for certain that it is an A12 device and i cannot get the drivers to update as it says the driver which is already installed for directUSB is not the correct one.

4. blinkinink

blinkinink New Member

I should also add that the way the camera shows up on the PC does not change, regardless of whether there is a memory card in it or not.

SJCAM have requested that I return the item to China for them to look at, as they have run out of options.

5. RBEmerson

Ordinarily, since you're able to make sense of Device Manger info, I'd suggest removing the device driver, rebooting, and letting windows reinstall the driver. In this situation, I doubt very much that will change things

I'm not clear on how you got the .elf into the camera since you PC doesn't show the camera in the file browser. As to the cables, have you tried them with another device, checking to see if the cables are "working"? If they check out, as I think they will, I'm somewhat suspicious that the problem is with the USB port and (guess) associated logic, not the cables.

Bottom line: I think the camera is effectively toast. I'd press SJCam for a quick replacement, not just sending the camera back and hoping they figure out the problem sooner or later. Good luck and let us know how the story comes out.

Can you talk a little about how things have gone from when you filed your support ticket? My prior experience with support has been less than satisfactory - lost ticket, "well, if it gets hot, don't use it" response, etc. If SJCam has finally gotten support back on track, that's a good thing to know.

6. blinkinink

blinkinink New Member

I use the firmware update mode of the camera via DirectUSB. So this bypasses the need for the memory card altogether.
    I initially had issues with the cable, but a new cable resolved that. So i know the cable and the USB port are not the issues.
    I imagine if anything, it's the connection for the memory card slot to the main board which has an issue, or another issue with the main board which is also causing the Wifi issues.

The Customer Service via SJCAM has actually been ok.
    They've come back to me within a few days at most, on each occasion for the Ticket and solutions offered have been fairly methodical and easy to follow.
    That said, i don't think they fully understood the issue, no matter how I explained it. As they kept sending me .BIN files to upload via the DirectUSB app....which won't work. They need to be .ELF files (which are currently only v1.20 and v1.21).

SJCAM have issues me with an RMA for return to China.
    I can't press them for a replacement faster sadly, as i do not have proof of purchase. The item was a gift last year (i think purchased from amazon), but I can't contact the person who bought it for me, as they are currently posted overseas and otherwise unavailable for now. Frustrating, but I'd rather not bother them with it.

7. RBEmerson

But I thought you said USB doesn't work. If that's right, how can you load the .elf file?

If the camera came via Amazon, you should be able to work through Amazon. The person who bought the camera says to Amazon that they want to return the camera. You mail it under their RMA. Easy-peasy. I did that with my first SJ7, which was DOA. Since you've had the camera for a year, the 90 day(?) warranty has long since expired.

Sending the camera back to China is now your only option. You can think about buying an SJ7 through SJCam after being 100% SJCam will refund the cost of your second when your first camera arrives at SJCam. I bought the motorcycle case from SJCam. It arrived, shipped from a US address far sooner than I expected. Apparently they have a US agent in California(?).

8. blinkinink

blinkinink New Member

I never said the USB port wasn't working. Just the memory card slot.
    I can connect to the camera fine using the DirectUSB software (which connects to the camera using a mini usb cable......), and it's using this software that i have been able to install the .elf. This is not the same as connecting the camera as an external storage device using windows.

I did not buy the camera myself, am not aware of the exact warranty (which in the UK is usually a minimum of 12 months on electronics).
    I cannot contact the person who bought it for me as a gift.....what more do you want me to tell you? So i cannot ask them to pursue this claim for me.

Also, didn't say a year ago, I said last year, which is actually less than 6 months ago....but still more than the 90 day warranty...which i am only now learning of from you.

I'll do the RMA with SJCAM and see what they say once they receive it.
    thanks

9. blinkinink

blinkinink New Member

Looking at the SJCAM page, the warranty is 1 year, but is subject to certain charges after 90 days

10. RBEmerson

USB is not longer a problem - good news.

If you can't contact the person who gave you the camera, that pretty much closes that option for returning the camera for a replacement.

Not knowing you're in the UK (which is why I posted "let us know where you are" - hard to shape suggestions without knowing that) means my comments about US option aren't much use. I have no idea about how UK rules, regulations, whatever apply to your situation. I think the phrase "Best of British luck" applies. [/ smile ]

If you want to send the camera to China and wait for a result, that's your choice. I suggested an alternate route if you want a camera ASAP. If that doesn't work for you, sobeit.

11. RBEmerson

Life is like that. Some days you're the dog, some days you're the tree. [/ grin ]

12. RBEmerson

@blinkinink : FYI, I went back to my copy of the V1.15 release. I don't have an .elf in the files. The SJCam link to SJ7 firmware 404's. [/ frown ]