SJ7 Star in the Alps

Discussion in 'Videos' started by RBEmerson, Nov 25, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I spent a week in the Alps, riding a rented BMW K1600GT motorcycle. This is the first of the mountain pass videos I shot. I think this video is probably the best demonstration, using this trip's video, of how well the SJ7 Star works on a motorcycle. The gyro function is particularly impressive, considering the roughness of the cobblestone road.

For the most part, I let the music cover the wind noise and some bike noise. But, in this video, when I passed some cows wearing alpine bell, I brought up the audio from the internal mic. I think that worked pretty well for the circumstances.

A note about the mechanics of shooting. The camera was mounted on the side of my helmet and moved as far forward as practical. A bit of the open visor is visible, but mostly the scene is how things look when riding. I used the SJCam app to check the video, aim the camera, and start and stop the camera. That worked well.

Once I started the camera, usually leaving the hotel, I didn't stop the camera until I stopped for lunch or a similar stop. I used a 128 Gb microSD and an external battery. I could shoot for 4-5 hours before changing the battery pack. The 128 Gb card was good for about a day and a half of shooting. Still, I changed the card every night.

The biggest issue I had was when the battery pack connection was loose. The camera shut down and, unless I watched my phone (not a good idea on a motorcycle), I had no way to know the camera wasn't recording. I lost video for three passes (two were back to back). Not a good thing.

2. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Hi. Why did the battery pack connection become loose and have you figured out how to make sure it doesn't happen again? Did you edit this to remove the fisheye effect? If not, as I didn't see it, how did you accomplish not having it? Thanks.

3. RBEmerson

At the time I did the trip, the motorcycle case wasn't available (or I didn't know it existed). I stuffed the USB cable into the camera and got creative with cable ties, trying to keep the cable from wiggling around. It worked almost all of the time. But only almost. Since then, the motorcycle case has become part of the product line. The cable connection to the camera is about as tight as possible. Take a little care the cable at the battery end, to keep strain off the USB connector, and all should be well. BTW, the camera was in the frame mount. It worked, of course, but I'm sure some dust got into the case. And there were only a few raindrops on the trip (see the Ötztal video and a few drops on the wind screen - excitin' stuff that!).

I found two 50,000 mAh packs on eBay for maybe $20. They worked out just fine.

My guess is there may be some samples of fisheye near the end of the video, passing near light posts, etc. But most of the video is in places where distance makes the problem unnoticeable. If it helps, the video, at 4K, looks very close to what I shot.

4. p4mp3r0

p4mp3r0 New Member

Handyman
    Hello, a question, the video in which quality is recorded? On YouTube you can choose from 720/60 fps up to 4k / 60 fps, and I think by the quality and smoothness of the video you have activated the right gyro ?. Have you recorded at 1080/60 fps EIS On?
    A beautiful landscape indeed.
    Greetings from the south of Spain

5. RBEmerson

Hola!

The video was done with 1080p at 60 frames per second, with the EIS on. The camera was using firmware V1.15.

The video was edited partly with Shotcut and partly with Blackmagic Design's Resolve. At the end of editing, the video was written at 4K at 60 frames per second. This doesn't make the video sharper. It limits the amount of image compression seen on YouTube videos.

p4mp3r0 likes this.
  6. RBEmerson

FWIW, here's a second video, shot later in the same trip and with the same equipment and settings as described above. What may make it of some interest is that it can be thought of as a remix of another video, not shot with an SJ7.

I've posted both videos for comparison. One minor note: Alexander Thiessen was lucky enough to not be trapped behind a bus. NTL both videos open and close and the same place.

My video:

The original video by Alexander Thiessen: