Sj7 Star Freezes 1080P 60 FPS

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Ragnabarra, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Ragnabarra

Ragnabarra New Member

Hello! i've a new Sj7 Star, that it works fine in all main resolutions, less in 1080P 60 FPS GYRO ON or OFF. I've tested in 1.18, 1.20 and 1.21 firmwares, and the freezing continues. Im using a PNY Turbo Performance 64 GB U3 Card, and by now I dont have other to test. Interesting that in 4k that uses much bit rate, the camera works fine too. I would like an advise to solve this problem.

2. Ragnabarra

Ragnabarra New Member

Sj7 freezes randomly, generally in less than 5 minutes of video, but some times freezes after this time, and with a bit of luck it works perfectly.

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Try V1.15. V1.18 is V1.17 beta slightly tuned up to become 1.18. V1.20 has generally been stable but occasionally it acts up, too. V1.21, in my opinion, should be either withdrawn or named an alpha, not even beta. It's unstable, some features, notably RAW support, are incomplete at best.

V1.15 has a very good record. It doesn't support gimbal control, but otherwise meets almost all needs. V1.15 is available in the "How to update" post in this part of the forum.

4. Ragnabarra

Ragnabarra New Member

Thanks. I will test 1.15 firmware. Then i post the results.

5. RBEmerson

FWIW, I've shot a week's worth video, several hours a day, using external power, without a camera problem.

6. Ragnabarra

Ragnabarra New Member

I tested 1.15 firmware, sj7 continues freezing. My last hope is the micro SD SanDisk extreme that i bought, but it not arrived yet.

7. RBEmerson

Let us know how that works out. I'm puzzled by only one res. and fps setting causing problems. As you said, if 1080@60 crashes the camera, 120 fps or higher res.'s should do it too.

8. Ragnabarra

Ragnabarra New Member

Its wierd, but yes, only in 1080p 60 FPS, In 4k 30 FPS and 2.7 k 60FPS works fine. 1080P 60 FPS is very important to me because of Gyro, and that is the only resolution that it works too. In tests at home in general it freezes few times, but when i fixed the cam in my car and in my motorcycle helmet generally freezes very fast and constatntly. In that cases i fixed the cam upside down. My setup that Freezes 1080 60 FPS, GYRO ON or OFF, Mereting Center or Multiple (Not tested with SPOT), In 1.21 Firmware, Distorcion ON

9. RBEmerson

I'm not sure that changing metering will help in video mode. If it does, by all means, do it.

What are you using to power the camera at home, and what are you using when it's on your helmet? Turning the camera upside down shouldn't make any difference in how the camera works. Adding lens correction (distortion correction) is definitely a bad idea - it's going to make the image processor work much harder. The same is true if you're inverting the image.

If the camera doesn't freeze as often at home as it does in a car or on a helmet, try this experiment. Run the camera in a window that gets a lot of sun. If you use the camera outdoors in a case, at home, put the camera in the same case.

I wonder if the camera is over-heating.

10. Ragnabarra

Ragnabarra New Member

In all situations the power is only the original battery. I thouth that it can be over-heating, but why that occurs only in one main resolution as 1080P 60 FPS? I record normally in the same sircuntances in 4k 30 FPS and 2.5k 60 FPS. Even in 4k when i touch the camera, and I feels it hot, the camera dont freeze and dont turn off. I've already tested with PNY 64GB Turbo Performance U3 card, Sandisk Ultra 64 GB class 10 U1, Netac Pro 64GB U3. I will try to record in default settings, just changing the resolution.

11. RBEmerson

I'm out of ideas for what's going on. Loading firmware resets the camera (except for the date and time). Reload 1.15. Change only the resolution, gyro (Electronic Image Stabilization - EIS), and turn off looping. Other than those changes, don't make any changes. Maybe something good will happen?

12. Ragnabarra

Ragnabarra New Member

Nothing good happened, Ive tried all possibilities