SJ7 Star Freeze (720, 1080, 2.5k)

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by phil, Jan 20, 2018.

1. phil

phil New Member

Hi!

First of thanks for a what seems to be a great community!
    I'm not really the guy that report errors or such, usually I fix it myself or I can live with it, but in this case it's a disaster.

Ok to my issue.

I've bought a SJ7 Star from AliExpress which I though were the best option out there for such money.
    I got it for about 3 weeks ago and I'm really having some wierd trouble. It freezes, in pretty much every resolution I've tried.

I'm now using this memorycard: Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A1 32GB MicroSD
    [​IMG]

[EDIT]
    The memory is bought in Sweden so I don't think it's counterfeit

At first I had a slower memorycard which made the recordings look really bad (slow framerate and freezing). But after buying the Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A1 32GB MicroSD the framerate issues were fixed, but not the freezing.

I tried to upgrade the FW through the guide on this forum (thank you). But it didn't work. Im still left with that the camera freezes in default mode at every resolution i've tried. 720 - 4k. It always freezes about 2 minutes in and then the entire camera freezes . The recording light freezes, the clock, the interface, everything is stuck and I have to either pull the battery out or hold the power button untill it shuts off. And then when restarting its back working (for 2 mins +/-). The recordings that were ongoing when it froze is gone ofc. This is quite irritating when you're doing a PB and almost killing yourself underneath the bench in the gym.

and to add. Two odd observations:
    1. Somethimes when I record in low light it might even work up to 6 minutes without freezing. But somethimes it also freezes in low light as fast as in the daylight setting at the gym.
    2. Once I had it working (directly after FW update without removing the FW file or formatting) for about 50 minutes, which was kinda crazy.

I'm really hoping there's a cam-guru out the that got some tips. and yeah I've the latest firmware, and tried with both 30 and 60 fps.

Greetings
    Phil

Girish Joshi likes this.
  2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

All of this sounds like a defective camera. What firmware version are you using? V1.15 is an old version but quite stable. V1.20 seems to be stable, although there seemed to be some problems. Probably a lot of them were user problems, not firmware problems. V1.21 is a beta version; there's no promise anything will work.

First, verify the firmware version (don't assume which version's loaded). Tap the middle of the screen to open the menus. tap the lower box on the left, the one with crossed tools on it. Slide down the menu on the right. The last item in the menu is the current firmware version.

I strongly recommend formatting your SD after doing a firmware installation.

If you have 1.20 or 1.15 and the camera refuses to operate correctly, you have two options: contact AliExpress about a warranty return, or file a support ticket with SJCam for warranty support.

Girish Joshi likes this.
  3. phil

phil New Member

Thank you for your answear!

I've downgraded to 1.15 which works just like 1.20 (freezes whenever it wants to) so I've contacted the seller and he's telling me to change memorycard to a Kingston U3 memory. So I guess that's what I'm gonna do.

Will keep you updated.
    Thanks again, greetings.

4. RBEmerson

I doubt very much changing the SD will do any good. If you see freezing with V1.15, unless you used a really slow, or defective SD, there should be no problem. I use generic C10 SD's for anything [/including] 4K. I shot over an hour of dashcam video, at 4K@30 fps, without a problem.

Where did you buy the camera?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Girish Joshi likes this.
  5. voidgraph

voidgraph New Member

Hi!
    I have the same problem.

My SJCAM SJ7 STAR (Firmware 1.15) can record video successful only in highest resolutions. I tried to update firmware to version 1.18 and 1.20 but there are same problems.

• I use my Samsung Evo+ Class 10 U3 card
    • I reset settings of camera to default values and format a card in camera
    • I start to record video in 4K (default) and it is good. I can to record as long as I want. I can stop record and start again. And all videos will opened on the computer correctly.
    • I change settings to 1080P 50fps 16:9 (for example) or any other resolution. I start to record and in few seconds my camera freezes. It stops to refresh video on a screen and if I press any buttonts nothing happens. Sometimes camera hangs in 3-5 seconds and sometimes in 30-40 seconds after I start to record video.
    • I take out a battery and then take a battery in. Only after that I can turn on the camera.
    • With another card there is the same problem.
    I suppose the problem is not in card because video in maximum resolution is good.
    I made a test with every available resolution. In some cases I repeated a test several times.

• 4K 30fps 16:9 - OK
    • 4K 25fps SV - OK
    • 2160P 30fps 4:3 - OK, OK 40 min

• 2.7K 30fps 4:3 - Not OK
    • 2.7K 30fps SV - Not OK
    • 2.7K 30fps 16:9 - Not OK

• 2.5K 60fps 16:9 - Not OK
    • 2.5K 30fps 16:9 - Not OK

• 1440 60fps 4:3 - 11 min OK, Not OK
    • 1440 30fps 4:3 - Not OK

• 1080P 120fps 16:9 - ОК 7 min, Not OK
    • 1080P 60fps 16:9 - Not OK
    • 1080P 30fps 16:9 - Not OK
    • 1080P 60fps SV - Not OK
    • 1080P 30fps SV - Not OK

• 960P 120fps 4:3 - 12 min OK, Not OK
    • 960P 60fps 4:3 - Not OK
    • 960P 30fps 4:3 - Not OK

• 720P 240fps 16:9 - Not OK
    • 720P 120fps 16:9 - Not OK
    • 720P 60fps 16:9 - Not OK
    • 720P 120fps SV - 30 min OK, Not OK
    • 720P 30fps SV - Not OK

Michael Aquino likes this.
  6. RBEmerson

Summarizing: 4K works reliably. A couple of other resolution settings work, but only at the highest frame rates, and not for very long. You've tried V1.15, V1.18, and V1.20 and there is no change in what resolutions do and do not work. Further, the camera locks up to the "pull battery" point of failure.

If you're certain the firmware updates worked (the last menu entry shows the desired FW rev. numbers), then all that's left is to call the camera defective. Changing firmware (re-install the existing version or install a new version) should change the camera's behavior. It doesn't change, therefore it's not the firmware. All that's left is the hardware.

Girish Joshi likes this.
  7. Girish Joshi

Girish Joshi New Member

Hi All here,
    I just got my SJcam SJ7 Star 3days back from Amazon,US.Every thing was good enough in package as committed, as it was a SJ Cam product.I also picked almost all genuine accessories with this action cam.
    I am finding tremendous problems in shooting videos from this cam,which are not being sort out by any method.
    1.My firmware version is presently 1.20.I tried V1.21 also, but that was more crappy.(Downgraded to again V1.20 for testing)
    2.My SD Card is SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UH-I,64 GB, i checked it thrice with windows application h2testw,& found no error every times.It is good,healthy & brought new with this cam together.Always formated it properly on pc & after with cam also before proceeding to next...
    3.I am technical & IT pro,senior citizen, like my work to be done properly,& patient to listen your keen guidances.......
    These are few among several:
    1.Hangs rapidly on FV Ver 1.18,1.20 & 1.21,the screen freezes & no way is left except hard swapping of the battery.I tried all firm wares.
    2.Not recording continuous video,even on 960P 60fps 4:3,loop recording is off on every time (tried all mentioned firm wares).I don't know about time lapse video,keeping it to 1 sec. by default.I am always keeping suggested video resolutions in different shootings.
    3.Gyro Sensor effect is not being observed,i am keeping it enabled all the time.Small jerky video are the result every time.This is a must need for me ,otherwise this whole thing is junk for me.I am always keeping suggested video resolution,so i am not finding any wrong setting at my end.
    I will explain some more glitches coming to me in operation, if i get solution here.
    I gone through discussions & several threads in this forum,crowled through google & still sleepless for this tiny devil's eye.
    I hope that someone will spare his valuable time to guide me on this matter.
    Best regards.
    (My residence at....North Carolina,US,please note that i move to other countries also)

8. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Hi, I’ve deleted your other post as it was a duplicate of this one ad in the incorrect forum.

1. V1.21 was a beta, 1.20 was the latest stable official release. I believe that 1.21 then came out of beta but it’s introduced other issues. If the camera freezes constantly it may be defective and will need replacing, contact your supplier or raise a ticket.
    2. Your card needs to be a U3 card and not a U1 card as you stated you have above. This is probably a reason for hangs and jerky footage.
    3. Upload a sample video for us to see what’s happening with gyro.
    4. The camera will only record files up ton4gb which is a limitation of the file structure and not the camera. Depending on the resolution you use will depend on how long each file will be.

Girish Joshi likes this.
  9. RBEmerson

Er... well... um... AFAIK SJCam considers the V1.21 available through the support area as a released version. You're quite right it has problems, mainly RAW is still, according to many, a train wreck. And they forgot or didn't want to do the simple stuff like Image Rotation for all resolutions, making the "off" setting for the mic silence the mic, keeping the camera powered up if external power fails, etc., annoying etc. In that regard V1.21 probably is ...um... hardly worth the effort. But...

After two "pull the battery" crashes very early on, I've shot several hours of video, with the camera hanging upside down (Image Roatation needed, damnit!!!) from the windshield of our '90 VW Vanagon camper (somewhat stiff shocks, somewhat hard ride). There's been no return to the "pull the battery" crashes. It's possible that my external power (USB charger in a car power point) may have forced the problem.

With V1.21, shooting 1080 @ 60, EIS/gyro on, works quite nicely, even on bumpy and dirt roads. Keep in mind EIS is meant to work only on pitching motion (or nodding), not slewing motion (think about swiveling while watching a tennis match).

Whether using V1.21 means some bugs are tidied up or not is an open question. But a camera killer? I just don't see it.

I know this is old news, but my no-name C10 SD's (32, 64, and 128) work without a problem. The ~500 Gb of video shot in early July '17 was using these SD's (d/l to hdd at night). My big problem was the camera powering down from a brief jiggle of the external power cord (c'mon, SJCam - FIX IT!). Again, I shoot 1080; 4K may (probably) will push SD's hard enough to cause problems. OTOH, my no-names haven't given me any trouble with 4K. If SJCam ever pulls their finger out and adds working EIS to 4K, I'll shoot it more often. IMHO SD's are frequently blamed for problems they didn't cause.

For me, 4 Gb is a convenient file size when editing. At 1080@60 that's about 15 minutes. Obviously 4K@30's 4 Gb will cover less time, but, put in an editor, the issue is moot. Working in 15 minute clips, locating specific action can, if it doesn't last long, take more time than might be expected ("how hard can it be?").

By all means, please post sample video!

Girish Joshi likes this.
  10. Girish Joshi

Girish Joshi New Member

@ Dears Damian Holt & RBEmerson, Please accept my hearty thanks for your such an electrifying response to my post in this thread.Your advises are very much important to novice users like me.
    Please guide me about settings> Video>Gyro Sensor> It is always greyed in my case -only a red mark comes on right upper corner after touching.But it doesn't work at all.I think,if it is greyed( indicating that the function is unavailable) means not working.Is it common or showing malfunctioning / mistake of device?
    (I am preparing sample video for upload, please give me little time.)
    Please reply.
    Best regards.

===========================
    I am very sorry Mods,Gyro settings work on certain resolutions,not at all frame rates also.But i am not deleting my post,because it is very important for novices like me.( @ Big bro RBEmerson,please give your comment about my saying that these properties should be given in somewhat in details in operation manual's particular section or everyone should learn by trial & error methods.Best regards. )

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    Just FYI....make sure your SD cards aren't knock offs. I bought some knockoffs for shits and giggles and their write speed is less than half of the genuine article.

Girish Joshi likes this.
  12. RBEmerson

Having written the "not a camera killer" comment, I decided to see if the camera was going to let me down. short answer: it didn't.

Over about 1.5 hours of driving in rush hour traffic, to run some errands, I shot about 40 minutes of video. Aside from being upside down, and finding a small rattle in the camera case, not much went wrong. Conditions ranged from shortly before sunset to full darkness. The camera did amazingly well in the low light situations and, in the light from my headlights, did surprisingly well even on empty road.

I bounced over a couple of railroad crossings, the usual road bumps, and the EIS behaved quite well. Or VW Vanagon is a little to good at nodding its head when braking. The EIS held on well there, too. The scene eventually moved but it didn't pop up and down.

All of this was done with 1080@60 fps, gyro on. Oh, and with the release version of V1.21.

Girish Joshi likes this.
  13. RBEmerson

@Girish Joshi The basic gyro setting is on or off. There are no other adjustments or settings. 4K has no gyro support, which means the feature is greyed out. A greyed out option (Image Rotation, Gyro) only says the option isn't available under that resolution or frame rate.

The red triangle in any menu item (either something like 1 min, or On/Off) indicates either what's been picked (shows up when opening something like Screen Off) or what will be selected by tapping the box (on the screen) or tapping the shutter button (if the camera is in its case).

"Gyro" isn't correct - EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization) what's employed to stabilize images. A gyro is either a spinning wheel or disk, or a loop of laser light, whose reaction to being rotated is used to assess the direction of motion and rate of rotation. There's a lot more to it than that, but the SJ7 doesn't use gyros, it uses EIS. Too bad that error made it into the documentation and firmware.

Girish Joshi likes this.