SJ7 Star Fits 3rd Party SJ5000-Series Alloy Case

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Troy, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

SJ7 Star Fits 3rd Party SJ5000-Series Alloy Case

I just saw this in one of the SJCAM Facebook groups, posted by Delfin Badel of SJCAM USERS PHILIPPINES.

If you've seen the 3rd party aluminum alloy cases on the web, they somewhat gave action cameras the look that made it more familiar, a DSLR.
    Delfin did his research and found that the dimensions closest to his SJ7 Star is the SJ5000 series. He then ordered the shell, and to his amazement, worked.

Here's what it looks like:

upload_2017-7-14_20-18-46.png upload_2017-7-14_20-19-37.png

There's a tiny difference of .5mm on either side, and .3mm difference from the top. You might need some foam tape to keep it from rattling when in motion, but not too much, it will be too tight to slide the camera in and out when you need to.

ADDED BONUS!
    We know that 4K recording demands huge processing power from the camera, and thus the camera normally heats up when used for long periods (yes, this is normal, try recording 4K with your smartphone and see for yourself), so the alloy case adds more heatsink material for the heat to be dissipated through. Yay!

Several colors available in many places online, Silver, Blue, Red, and Black.
    Sorry, no links. Google is your friend.

They have 1/4 tripod screw-in holes on the top and bottom, the camera slides in from the back, alloy door to keep it in place, hot-shoe style mount on the top, screw-in lens-filter mount on the lens part, plus a lens cover when you buy one.

I am sure there are other colors out there but they may be rare.

-TF

Which color do you like? Comment below!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. ArekMe

ArekMe New Member

Nice radiator :D This sould fix some problems if we add thermopad inside ;)

Troy likes this.
  3. kamkar

kamkar Elite

true that nice ALU thing will transport heat just fine, the problem is when dissipating that heat to the air, but off course it have a much larger surface area than the Sj7 itself.
    Also depend on how good contact you have between Sj7 and housing, if there are just a little gab then heat transport will be haltered by that.

One huge + of that housing is that in there the Sj7 will be able to handle a whole lot more action without breaking.

As a old computer overclocker and casemodder i have studied and experienced heat and how to get rid of it, for 10 years now my computers have been water cooled as i find that most effective with the less fan noise.
    None of my 6 fans in my computer can exceed 1000 RPM and they are all controlled by temperature, even my water pump are temperature regulated.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

I ordered this same(apparantly) SJ5000 alloy case from ebay, shipped from China. The one I got allows my SJ7 to fit really loosely on the sides and the case lens opening doesn't line up correctly and isn't quite large enough for the lens barrel on the camera. The only way I can use it is to put at least 1/8'' filler on both sides and one at the top. Also the opening for the HDMI and Mini-USB don't line up and will require milling the opening out for both jacks toward the front. As it is I won't be able to use it.
    My point is that there may be more than one supplier for these alloy cases with possibly different specs used for the CNC machining.

5. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

Looking good!

6. Tripfen

Tripfen New Member

If I recall properly many of the brake parts needs changing too , things like the brackets for the calipers and so forth. I did not look at the Magtan wheels , just the Honda alloy wheels. Perhaps the Magtan wheels needs less parts but the best thing is to check with Mr. T .