SJ7 Star Firmware - Wishlist

Discussion in 'Firmware Wishlist' started by evoixmr, Mar 25, 2017.

1. george4salsa

george4salsa New Member

Any idea about release date?

2. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

We're reading through all your suggestions guys, well see which ones make it to the next firmware. Keep 'em coming!

Don't forget to "Like" the comments of other community members whose suggestion is something you also want. The more Likes, the higher the priority.

corallino likes this.
  3. corallino

corallino New Member

Capitano di macchina
    Qualche suggerimento per i prossimi aggiornamenti , avere la funzione FOV anche in modalità foto e funzione zoom come ultimo firmware della SJ Legend .

4. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Hi Guys!
    Since we are collating all these wonderful suggestions for features, it is very easy for our technical staff to be overwhelmed with information.
    Might we suggest that requests be formatted in this manner:

FEATURE REQUEST: (A very short description of the suggestion, set it in Bold, and in ALLCAPS. Example: VIDEO START/END BEEP)
    Description/Reason: (Example: I want to be able to tell if the recording is starting or stopping just by the beep alone)

Then do this for each feature you want to see added.
    Please make 1 comment post for each feature request, so that community members can vote by pressing the Like button.
    Keep them coming guys!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2018
    corallino likes this.
  5. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Feature requests:
    • Automatically switch to battery power if external power is lost. Return to external power when it's reconnected.This is perhaps the biggest complaint I have about the SJ7. I've lost significant amounts of video while on my motorcycle. The battery's charged, the external battery is charged, but the power cable may have a problem. Losing the video because of a fraction of a second's break is frustrating at best.
    • Improve touchscreen responsiveness. Tapping or touching the screen is often ignored - repeated presses are needed. In the external power case, the touchscreen is 100% unresponsive.
    • Using the phone app, a grid, to help align the camera will be most welcome.
    • Extended video has an audio dropout at the end of a file. Shooting at 1080p@60 fps, the audio for the last 3-5 frames is missing. Splicing files together, there's a small click due this dropout.

6. Apo

Apo New Member

First of all I want to say Hello to everybody :)

FEATURE REQUEST:
    Better Gyro
    Description/Reason: So ...SJ7 it's the top end SJ model for now and DEFINITALY must have the best working options. But ... the Gyro it's not pretty good.
    actually cheaper models like M20 have better stabilization witch is strange.

7. Apo

Apo New Member

FEATURE REQUEST: RAW Photos
    Description/Reason: Before several weeks (when I get my SJ7 Star) on the official website there was an informacion for RAW format photos option. But this is not true ... after a lot firm updates. Pretty disappointed.

Jason likes this.
  8. Apo

Apo New Member

FEATURE REQUEST: AWB
    Description/Reason: White balance doesn't work accurate. Settings are almost the same. If camera have real RAW format it wouldn't be big problem.

Jason likes this.
  9. RBEmerson

I'm a little surprised by this. I've been very pleased with the stability of images taken while bouncing on a motorcycle. Here's an example - the windshield moves around, but the scenery remains surprisingly stable.

Begin at 11:00 to see what I'm talking about.

Troy likes this.
  10. Apo

Apo New Member

Firmware?

11. RBEmerson

V1.15.

Under V1.18:

I think there are resolution issues V1.18, but the gyro's doing a good job here,too.

@Troy The thumbnail for this video shows the "blobbing" and generally less than stellar resolution I mentioned elsewhere, This is a good example of "grass as resolution test".

12. hohol_m

hohol_m New Member

1. FOV settings in photo mode or add distortion correction. (software)
    2. FIX sound / micro.
    why such a dull sound? as if from a barrel.
    https://yadi.sk/i/r_yAclKV3NEZQs

tribas likes this.
  13. SSG

SSG New Member

This was a post I made some months ago. I was on 1.09 and have just upgraded to 1.18. I do notice the increased responsiveness of the touchscreen, but I'm a bit disappointed to see that none of these options have made it in the firmware, except the one of quick capture according to the changelog. I would especially vote for the first and last, since an action camera is all about quick setup, shooting when something interesting happens, being able to blindly operate it since it is attached to a helmet or chest harness, etcetera. In my opinion it needs these things to be a true killer of the competition.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    corallino likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Moderator

FEATURE REQUEST: Raw Photos
    Description/Reason: The SJ7 was originally advertised as having Raw Photos and this was one of the reasons for purchasing it. Raw photos allow greater ability to tweak the results of the final image and will improve the output. Raw should also be available for timelapse and long exposure photos

Apo likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Moderator

FEATURE REQUEST: Long Exposure Photo working with time lapse photo/video
    Description/Reason: When setting long exposure photos the settings aren't used in time lapse. Being to set a long exposure for use with time lapse allows photos of thunder storms/starscapes/cityscapes

corallino likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Moderator

FEATURE REQUEST: User definable shutter speed for video
    Description/Reason: Most video is made with a 180° shutter - i.e. 1/(fps*2) which is 1/50s for 25fps or 1/60s for 30fps.
    Being able to set the shutter speed allows the camera to take videos with different feel to them, example speeds might be

360° - the shutter is open and exposing for the whole of the frame i.e. 1/fps which is 1/25s for 25fps and 1/30 for 30fps. This lets more light onto each frames so that the ISO can be reduced resulting in less noise. This also emphasises motion blur and can make action scenes seem faster or give a dream like effect to shots.

90° - the shutter is open for half the regular time - 1/(fps*4) which is 1/100s for 25fps and 1/120s for 30fps. This reduces the light to the frame and either needs brighter subjects or one stop higher ISO but gives crisper images. Great if you plan to extract images as stills from the video or giving clarity to sports action.

45° - the shutter is open for a quarter of the regular time (1/(fps/8)) and needs more light or higher isos but can stop action in its tracks. Used for the almost unreal explosions in Saving Private Ryan. Can give really crisp 8mp photos out of 4k footage.

Troy likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Moderator

FEATURE REQUEST: Option to connect WiFi to an access point as a client
    Description/Reason: Rather than creating an access point on the camera and having the phone connect to this, allow an option in the camera and app to set up a hotspot on the phone and have multiple cameras connect to this as clients.

The app can then be used to cycle through the individual cameras to change settings, start individual cameras recording/take photos and view individual streams from multiple cameras or the app could switch to multicam control mode and start/stop all connected cameras, take a photo on all cameras simultaneously, show status summary of cameras (e.g. recording status, battery level, card space) without preview streams or set all cameras to a specific setting.

18. Jason

Jason Moderator

FEATURE REQUEST: External Power supply Power down Options
    Description/Reason: At the moment if using an external power source (car, bike, power bank, etc) and the power is interrupted then there are two things that can happen, depending on which mode you are in :-

Car Mode :- 30 seconds countdown to power off. If power is reconnected camera cancels countdown. If a button is pressed then camera cancels countdown and continues on internal battery power.

Normal Mode :- Camera shuts down immediately - even if a recording was in progress.

Options should be to shutdown, shutdown after countdown, continue on internal battery with each mode having it's own setting

corallino likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Moderator

FEATURE REQUEST: Scrap the TV Mode and reorganise the Video Resolutions option

Description/Reason: Splitting video int PAL and NTCS is an old fashioned situation when analogue video standards were incompatible with each other and each standard had a specific frame rate and a specific resolution (NTCS = 720 x 486 at 30fps, PAL = 720 x 576 at 25fps). These analogue standards make no sense when recording and playing digital video, which can have a wide range of resolutions and frame rates and still be playable on a range of machines around the world.

When selecting the Video Resolution, having sthe menu full of similar resolutions in a long list makes it more confusing and takes more time to go through and find the resolution and frame rate you want.

Delete the "TV Mode" menu option as it isn't needed. Reorganise the Video Resolution menu so that either:
    1) This menu picks the video resolution only and a separate menu for the frame rate.

or

2) This menu firstly only displays the different resolutions then, once a resolution is selected, the available frame rates are shown to select.

corallino likes this.
  20. Jason

Jason Moderator

FEATURE REQUEST: Neutral/Native/Flat/Untouched Colour profile

Description/Reason: Having a neutral colour profile would make colour correction/colour grading post shoot easier

Troy likes this.