SJ7 opening RAW photos

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Ereshkigal, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Ereshkigal

Ereshkigal New Member

Student
    Hi everyone!
    Yesterday I took many photos in RAW format but how do I suppose to open them? I tried with Photoshop but it displays only a grey photo, like an old television when there's no signal and the screen turns grey and disturbed, I tried with FastStone Image Viewer (a program who supports and display many RAW formats) but it doesn't read SJ files, I tried to convert in DNG files and then open them with Photoshop but the result was the same. Thank you in advance!

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. Ereshkigal

Ereshkigal New Member

Student
    I tried the two programs you posted but none of them worked. I mean they can't convert SJ7 RAW files in DNG. Which are these proper parameters on FS image viewer? Thank you

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I don't have any SJ7 raw images, and can't find out the right combination (I managed to find out parameters for SJ5000x and SJ6, but I am pretty sure, that FS could handle the RAW of the SJ7 similar way) . And, as I said, its pretty useless - you can't convert it to some other raw format with the FS. Also, there might be distortions caused by importing in wrong pixel order etc.

5. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
  6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I spent some time hacking a SJ7 raw file, that I found from the Internet, and figured out, that you can convert SJ7 raw images with regular raw2dng or raw2nef apps, if you add this line:
    21026304, 0, 3744, 2808, 7, 7488, 16, 4, SJ7
    into the ini file.

Papajosh and Troy like this.
  7. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    That's excellent news. Can you upload the ini file for others? @Troy can this be hosted here?

Troy likes this.
  8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If you don't use your converters already with specific camera settings, then just create an empty txt file, copy the line into the file and rename the file into raw2dng.ini or raw2nef.ini respectively. If you copy your converter's exe and ini files into the folder, where your raw images are, then the command line for starting the conversion is:
    raw2dng (or raw2nef) -SJ7 filename (or list of multiple filenames separated with spaces).
    If your raw file in the folder is paired with a jpg file with the same name and containing EXIF info, and the converter version can read the exif, then the -SJ7 key may be omitted in the command line.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Damian Holt likes this.
  9. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Could be worth starting a new thread with detailed instructions or everyone to follow.

10. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, yes of course!

11. Capyboppy

Capyboppy New Member

From the information above, this is aimed at Windows users? talk about exe and ini files! What do Mac users do? I am still unable to use my camera as RAW. Anyone in the UK want to buy it!!!

12. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    You can use boot camp on your Mac and rim windows on your machine too. Best of both worlds then, not that there's that many good things you'd need windows for

13. Capyboppy

Capyboppy New Member

I don't want to use Bootcamp on my Mac. I want to keep it just as a Mac, I hate Windows. Apart from that, even if I did this, I would still need an authorised copy of Windows operation system. I don't want to spend any extra time than I have to as I have health issues and also study. Don't want to put barriers in the way even if it may seem like it. All I wanted was to be able to take the odd photos in RAW and process them.

14. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I'd find another camera then unfortunately.

15. Capyboppy

Capyboppy New Member

No point doing that for an action cam. I have my Canon and Panasonic cameras for main photography and RAW. I just thought although obviously the cam is for more for video which is what I use it for; it would be nice if there had been proper information in advance about the lack of being able to do this, particularly on a Mac. If it was just me whinging about it I would accept it; but there have been plenty of others complaining too. SJCAM support are not very good. They don't read the emails properly and direct you to the Windows version without even saying there doesn't seem to be a way around this for 'non-Windows' users. Sorry, but on this occasion it is not a case of just a whining female; I am not on my own about this :-D